Grado SR-80 Repair Help Needed (Looking for EU DIYer too).
Nov 10, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JCtheMC

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-fi,
Please help. I'd rather not say how, but the headband has become detached from the black piece where it connects with the earcup (as shown in picture below). How can i open up the black attachment without breaking it?

gradokaput1.jpg

Also, i'm looking for someone in the EU that is willing to upgrade my Grado cable, as well as fix the problem above if it proves to difficult for my unskilled hands. Could any of you recommend anyone i could/should get in touch with?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Best, Mike.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Well I am guessing that you broke a piece of plastic that the metal band hooks onto within the plastic block. Even if you could separate to plastic it would not solve your issue.

You could possible try to use an epoxy that binds to both metal and plastic, however if you are not handy with epoxy you can make a big mess quickly.

Another option is to drill and tap a set screw that will intersect the head band where that hole is in the metal. This could be dangerous in that you could cause more damage to the plastic if it is already stressed in the area and may not be possible at all depending on the depth the head band goes in.

Can you post a shot of the whole in the plastic?

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 10
It's out of warranty. I've tried seperating the plastic, but it seems its glued together and it feels like i'll break it before i can get it open. Seems like there's nothing else to do than getting in touch with the local distributor and see how much a repair costs, this isn't the only thing wrong with it - cable needs replacing too. Depending on the total price of that i might just buy a new pair.

I've looked all over for tutorials/guides on grado headband replacement, which should somehow explain how to seperate the metal band from the plastic allowing it to open up for replacement, but i can't seem to find anything.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCtheMC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's out of warranty. I've tried seperating the plastic, but it seems its glued together and it feels like i'll break it before i can get it open. Seems like there's nothing else to do than getting in touch with the local distributor and see how much a repair costs, this isn't the only thing wrong with it - cable needs replacing too. Depending on the total price of that i might just buy a new pair.

I've looked all over for tutorials/guides on grado headband replacement, which should somehow explain how to seperate the metal band from the plastic allowing it to open up for replacement, but i can't seem to find anything.

You are not going to be able to separate the plastic without breaking it. Your best bet is to use epoxy to reattach it.

If the cable needs replacing too but you feel you may just scrap em and buy new then maybe this is a good project for you to get into DIY
wink.gif
If you screw them up you are out a solder iron, epoxy, some cable (do not spend much here), and a plug. Might even be possible to salvage the cable and plug if you can just shorten the "bad" parts of your current cable.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm calling the local distributor informing how much a repair would cost... if the price is too high, i might just go diy... i'm just hesitant about that because i'm afraid i'd ruin them and i've come to love my SR-80's
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back