Grado SR-80 rebirth!
Sep 6, 2007 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

n4k33n

100+ Head-Fier
From when I first started getting into high fi and headphones, I knew I was a sennheiser guy. My first set of headphones were my HD580s, powered by a PPAv2 with an ipod as a source. This was an absolutely incredible setup to me, I'd never heard anything like it before. I loved the warm worldly sennheiser sound. The kind of sound that you can close your eyes and each layer of music comes in waves of euphoric bliss. This was the sound for me.

My girlfriend had a pair of SR-80s from a couple years ago that she didn't use because they're too loud to use at school or work. So they just sat in the closet. Every once in awhile I would dig them out and plug them directly into my ipod, because they only have a mini plug. They sounded decent, but I was underwhelmed. They didn't hold a candle to my hd580s.

Well, time has gone by and I built an HD650 system, upgrading my cables to zu and my source to a microdac. Pure sennheiser bliss. Everything ive ever wanted in my sound I was experiencing.

But the thought came over me yesterday. I'd never listened to the SR80s amplified, or with a decent DAC. Surely it would be worth the cost of a mini converter to see what it was like. Simply, I was not prepared for the results.

These are some incredible headphones! Its like night and day. Suddenly a mediocre sound becomes a bright, clear, yet booming sound. Always with my sennheisers I could feel the raw power behind the sound, and now I was feeling it with the grados too. Entire dimensions in the music I've found that I was never exposed to before. HD650s may trounce the sr80s in electronica and classical, but these little sr80s have this raw energy that is channeled directly into me when listening to my favorite punk and metal. It reminds me why I got into those genres in the first place. Incredible.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is, Grados really are good headphones if powered properly. I let the 30ohm impedance fool me, which was a huge mistake. They sound so much better amplified and with a dac behind them.

I almost feel embarrassed I had such great headphones just sitting in a drawer for months and months. Anyway, now that my eyes are open, I'm considering some sr225s
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 25
I like all my Grados with my discrete buffered PPAV1. IMHO the soundstage, treble "air" and detail resolution sounds very good. Although many tell me its too bright.... I generally disagree.

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 25
^ I cant afford one
frown.gif
I can get some sr225s or maybe the 325i's. But from what I've heard, the 225's are closer to what I'm looking for.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I cant afford one
frown.gif
I can get some sr225s or maybe the 325i's. But from what I've heard, the 225's are closer to what I'm looking for.

I would stick with the 225s, the 325is can be a bit bright.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 25
Just save up a bit for the RS-2's. A used pair can be $350-380. You might as well have something that is on the same level as your HD-650's. Plus you'll probably end up getting them sometime down the road anyways
tongue.gif
. That's what happened to me...

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 25
n4k33n I feel the same! I plugged in my sr-60's through an amp and the things turned into a beast I couldnt believe the sound I was getting at the price I got them for!

Now same as you im eyeing the 225's my question is how much more % in improvements will I receive?

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 25
I just got a BassBoost cMoy for my SR80s and the difference is incredible. I have only been listening to the new amp for 20 minutes and I just stumbled upon this thread. Even right out of the box, the amp has completely transformed my SR80s. I'm really looking foreward to hearing this amp as it burns in.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 25
I usually listen to my SR80 direct from the iriver hp140 or the laptop phone-out. Music is Death Metal, Black Metal, Prog and Thrash Metal.

Do you think I would benefic from a (real) amp?

If so what would you advice (should be cheap, portable, and with big power autonomy)?

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 25
Interesting story. You can see what I have in my signature, below. I put the SR80s aside when I started upgrading (the Ed9s were the first thing, followed by the amps, then the SR325), and just went back and checked out my SR80s the other day for the first time in a couple of months. With the new amps, they're wonderful--much different from what I remember. Now, if I did it again, I'd start with a *really good* ($$$$) amp, and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back