Grado SR-80 or is there something better?
Dec 31, 2006 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EoY

Head-Fier
I just got my Iriver Clix 4gb in the mail, and turns out the bundled phones are so crap I threw them away after 2minutes of use. Now I need to find some replacement.

I'm planning to use the headphones unamped from the source to sort of maintain the portability of the matchbox sized player. I already own a pair of Eggo Pro's and Etymotics ER6i, but I'm not all too happy with them. The former lack in the bass and high sections, but mid is sort of acceptable, the later have good sound but my ears hurt after long use, even though I changed to the foam buds (but then I experienced a loss of quality).

I've been taking a peek at Grado SR-80s, Audio-Technica ATH-CM700ti and Sennheiser HD595 but I can't really decide and I know that my own knowledge of headphones is questionable. Any help choosing or ideas of other viable headphones within the same pricerange would be appreciated.

Just going to name a few bands that I like in case it may help you, help me
smily_headphones1.gif

Tool, The Mars Volta, Herbie Han****, Kingston Wall, System of a Down, Muse.

If there's any more information you might need feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance,
eoy

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 13
Grados are great unamped but like most headphones they still improve with a nice amplifier.

One thing to consider with the grados and the senns is that they're both open headphones meaning that sound both leaks in and out. If you're going to be using these on a bus, car, or plane, they're almost totally out of the question. Everyone around you will hear your music and you'll hear everyone around you aswell. Not a bad thing but not the best if the person next to you really doesn't want to listen to your music with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't reccomend any good closed cans for your tastes but I'm sure someone else can.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 13
audio-technica ATH-CK7 is close to the sound of your ER6i but with some punchier bass. They don't bury into your ears like the Etys so they're very comfortable. Since you already like the Etys sound but hate the fit maybe these are a good idea for you. I for one absolutely love mine.

Buy Here

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 13
These Allesandro's are new to me, but it doesn't look like I can find a dealer for them that's even remotely close to Finland.

I was sort of planning to be using the headphones in all around use, since I don't listen to much music when I'm home so it appears you think Grado's and all open headphones are out of question.

That leaves me with the ATH-CK7 or ATH-CM700ti for earphones, and the ATH-A700 (or more expensive ATH-A900) I've been reading about lately sound quite promising, allthough I'm concerned about how large they are and if they really can be used inpublic without people pointing at you.. got to try to find a picture of someone wearing them.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Don't even consider anything from the Ax00 family for portable use if you're worried about people pointing at you, because they will and more. They are huge. Each cup is about the size of a CD and sticks out from your head like a blue muffin, then the two bands at the top finish off the look so you appear like a complete martian.

Those are strictly for home use in my opinion. Some people are brave and take them outside (or so they say), but that's the vast minority.

Here:
atml6.jpg

Not exactly a human head, but the next best thing.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm probably insane enough now to take out my HD595s for portable use...don't want to sacrifice SQ...BUT, any big headphone will get you stares. Things like the AKG K81dj are just cutting it close to being a full fledged blockhead. Grados go overboard: not only having a weird retro look, but having antenaes makes it look like an oddball when you're outside. So if you're looking for something convenient and unassuming, IEMs might be the way to go.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 13
Dave, you take HD595 outside? People don't point at the lobster claws on your head?
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Maybe Atlanta is not as loud as New York, cause here even with closed models you need to turn the volume up some to compensate. I wouldn't be able to hear at all with something open.
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 13
That's true, you're not in Boston where you'd need open headphones just to be able to hear your surroundings so that you don't get run over
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Atlanta has as bad traffic pile ups, but at least it's the South, so people are a little bit more polite and usually give pedistrians the right of way (or are at least more likely I should say)! LOL!!

I should conduct some tests to see which of my cans would get the most stares.....I think the 325i and k501s would get lots of stares. Grados mainly because of the anteneas....though those AKGs just have some weird extra fugliness with those rod things (so same as those ATs!!). Sennheisers are at least contemporary, basic blockhead headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 13
there should be a thread dedicated to people posting pics of them wearing their portable setup that they use in public
orphsmile.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EoY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These Allesandro's are new to me, but it doesn't look like I can find a dealer for them that's even remotely close to Finland.

You don't need to. The only place you can buy them is here:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Unlike the Grado line, you won't have to pay a different price to European dealers; everyone pays $99 USD for them, and they ship worldwide. I know buying without hearing them is never ideal, but the price is good and everyone seems to love the MS-1.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 13
nvm found out myself.

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 13
try crossing the street in NYC.

its like playing GTA,5 pts for people using crosswalks, 10 pts for people with shopping bags, 30 pts for bikers weaving thru traffic and 50 for jwalkers.

headphones : not advised

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back