Grado SR-60 = Yes
Jul 7, 2003 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Xander

The XanMan is back!
So, I met a fellow Head-Fi member for a brief few seconds (wish it could have been longer.) I exchanged $25 for a pair of 6 year old SR60s with deteriorated pads and a broken cable. I took them home, replaced the pads with that of the HD414, which I must say, look lovely in yellow
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also fitted it with a new cable. Just for the heck, I plugged them into my laptop and played a few mp3s.

$30 never sounded so good. Infact, there are many attributes that I prefer far over the HD600s. These things are not bright like I thought they would be, and I'm hearing upper mid and high frequency details, as well as midrange and upper bass details that were not apparent to me with any of my previous headphones, even with high end amplification.

I guess I didnt want to admit it, but the HD600s really have more flaws then I wanted to admit.

Jul 7, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 30
Congrats and a great price. Part of the 60/600 club. If you think they sound good now, wait until they're broken in.
Okay, that's not that funny.

Jul 7, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 30
If you can find any advantages in the SR60 that you can't find in the HD600, then your HD600 rig clearly has problems. For me, the HD600 sang truer in every way even out of the headphone jack of an old CD deck!

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 30
Xander,

Great deal for $30! In fact, even $69 for a NEW pair of SR-60's is a good deal.

Definitely mid-fi phones, at what I'd consider a low-fi price.

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
If you can find any advantages in the SR60 that you can't find in the HD600, then your HD600 rig clearly has problems. For me, the HD600 sang truer in every way even out of the headphone jack of an old CD deck!

The HD600s beat their asses silly sideways, but there are a few advantages, as with most other phones. Sorry, but the HD600's upper midrange frequencies ARE recessed, no matter how you put it. I also think the SR60s sound horrible with the bowl pads. It's like someones cupping their ears around your beautiful full range drivers in your new pair of towers using some crazy lowther drivers. The only way I can describe it is honky, but in the midrange frequencies, as apposed to the upper midrange and treble frequencies, where honkyness is usually more prominent.

I already sold my HD600s, and everything else for that matter. It just wasnt worth it anymore. Everything sounded great, but I'm moving on to other things now.

As far as the SR60s go, the person I purchased them from was shure that the older releases sounded better than the new, which makes me curious.

Oh, and did I mention the cord was single ended? With full earcup movement, too. Maybe I should post more information on that modification later, unless someone has already done it.

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 30
congrats on the great deal, im also looking around for a good deal on sr60

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 30
Sounds like a pair of SR-225s or RS-1s are in your future.
-Mag

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
Sounds like a pair of SR-225s or RS-1s are in your future.
-Mag

Shhhh. The point was to tone things down a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Shhhh. The point was to tone things down a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry, but once you're here, you can't leave.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 30
The RS-1's do look pretty....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I HATE YOU ALL. DIE.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 30
Glad they worked out for you Xander. They sound noticably better than the pair my brother owns, which are newer. His sound brighter and a little duller. I can't be sure that all old SR-60's sound better than the newer ones. I have heard a dealer complain of quality control problems from Grado so it is entirely possible that some grado's are better than others (like reports of the ASL MG Head). I can't be sure, but brightness is not the way I would describe my old SR-60's. They were very smooth.

One thing is for sure though. They do not approach the 600's unless you are not using an appropriate amplifier.

Jul 7, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 30
They definitely dont sound bright, which is sortof what I expected with my experiences with my SR80s way back in the day....

They don't approach the HD600 in overall sound quality, but they definitely approach them for value, especially at this kindof price.

Jul 7, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 30
See how much we enjoy the SR-60's well do whatever it takes to mend a broken pair. I have a pair the misses managed to bend the 1/8 connector on (pulling away from the computer with the headphones on is a bad thing) which have been sent in for repair. The 2 pair I own (one for her and one for me) have been around since 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back