Grado SR-60 vs Alessandro MS-1
Jul 8, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 29
tongue.gif
I own and use both frequently, all I can say is that the MS-1 is favoured.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #17 of 29
When I first started looking to buy a good pair of headphones a few weeks ago, I did a bit of research around here and realized that the SR-60 are good buys at a good price. I didn't realize at the time that they would cost a lot more in Canada. But anyway, after reading some more to check for alternatives, I found out about the MS-1 and after some research on those it was a pretty easy decision to go with them for me. I'm glad I did and, although having never heard the SR-60, I'm almost sure that I like the MS-1 more. Sound flavouring aside, I think the MS-1 is supposed to be just plain better than the SR-60 too.

I like how the stock pads sound but I'd really like to find some bowls too. I think I'd like them more. The comfy pads were quite uncomfortable for me after about half an hour of listening at first because my ears kind of stick out. It started really giving me some pains. However, after a few weeks, this no longer happens and I can wear them for many hours without problems.

edit: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a search result thread, I thought it was a new thread, haha. I guess I can't delete the reply myself.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 29
I have a few grados, but none are really useable as portables so I wanted an SR series for taking to and from work.

I chose the MS1 over the SR80/60. I like the MS1s accuracy and slight detail resolution over the grado SR cans. Being my main work cans I wanted something pleasing for all day use, and super comfey... thats what the MS1 offers over the SRs. Its more laid back, doesn't have theforward aggression of the SRs. Its less in your head sounding IMHO.

Pad choice makes a very profound difference in how they sound too. I use hole modded HD414 pads.

Garrett

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 29
Hi Gabbabe,

You can test Grados in Sydney Quality Hifi in 93 York St, Sydney, in Melbourne at Audiophile 519 Brunswick Street Nth Fitzroy, and in Brisbane at Decibel Hifi 201 Evans Road, Salisbury. If you are in Perth, Headphonic has the Alessandros to test. I guess if you're in Adelaide, bad luck! (Though I assume from your handle you're in Brisbane!)

I have the SR60s as my portable phone and they're adequate for the purpose, however due to the hot weather making my ears sweat, I'm investigating some Audio Tecnica Clipons as well.

Giles

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeard
Hi Gabbabe,

You can test Grados in Sydney Quality Hifi in 93 York St, Sydney, in Melbourne at Audiophile 519 Brunswick Street Nth Fitzroy, and in Brisbane at Decibel Hifi 201 Evans Road, Salisbury. If you are in Perth, Headphonic has the Alessandros to test. I guess if you're in Adelaide, bad luck! (Though I assume from your handle you're in Brisbane!)

I have the SR60s as my portable phone and they're adequate for the purpose, however due to the hot weather making my ears sweat, I'm investigating some Audio Tecnica Clipons as well.

Giles

Uh oh, you're not investigating the wooden clip-ons are you? I've heard some bad things... do a search on them here. I know they show up in the "Biggest dissapointment" thread.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I don't think the SR125 and the MS1 is "apples to apples" per se. SR125 is $150, MS1 is $100...maybe the MS1 and SR80 are more along the lines of "apples to apples." Also, the MS2i and SR225 are definitely not apples to apples -- but the MS2i and the SR325i are.

ms-1 are better then 125's

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeard
due to the hot weather making my ears sweat, I'm investigating some Audio Tecnica Clipons as well.

Get IEM's. I didn't like the idea of IEM's but the hot ears pushed me in that direction and now I'm glad I did.

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 29
Mercuttio,

Yesssss, I am investigating the woodies as well as the aluminium EM7 and EM9 clip-ons. These will be mainly for summer commuting (in winter the sr60's come into their own!!)

I 've read the threads on the woodies incl, the most disappointing etc, but feel that it's worth a trial for my ears at the least. I also figure that the warmth of a micro stack will help boost some of the bass depth. I also have a fairly small head and flat ears so the coupling should be pretty good, which I also suspect may address some of those other problems people have with leakage and light sound. I am also trialling the EC7's to see about their suitability. I'm just seeking options for a highend transportable rig.

3lusiv3
I tried shures E2's for a day or two and could just not get them comfortable, irrespective of the tips used, I suspect my ear is too shallow to get a good grip. I have no problem with shoving things in my ear so IEMs would be a great solution, but unfortunately I'm one of the few who they don't seem to fit.

Giles

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #26 of 29
well, i have a ms1 while my bro has a sr60. after some a/b through a tube amp, i found i like the sound of ms1 more (maybe it is my cans..
biggrin.gif
)

but objectively, I found the sr60 more shrill and the vocals are not as rich as the ms1. also, the ms1 has a slightly better resolution than the sr60. that said, with the price of ~US$35 for the used sr60 cans my bro bought used, it is damn good value for money

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 29
The question of just which Grado model the Alessandro MS-1 is made from is always a fun one.

It does appear that, by looking at the specs, that the SR125 would be the obvious answer. They both use the same materials in the drivers as well as the housings.

The truth seems to be that these materials are only manufacturing convenience.

Reviewing the early days of Alesandro history reveals the story of a new company(Allesandro) wishing to add an additional product line, and asking Grado to produce a line of headphones to Alessandro specifications.

Make 'em sound like "this" so that folks mixing music in their studios can get a more accurate sound! The 'phones have only a visible superficial resemblance.

.....more accurate perhaps, but just as likely not as much "fun"

I am extreemly fond of my own set of MS-1s and have stopped using my home speaker system altogether for listening to tunes!

Only down side? I am so involved with the accuracy and involvement of these cans, that the purchasing of these "Gateway Drug" cans has me absolutely hooked!! The MS-2s are calling relentlessly!!

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
125 is one of the more bright headphones I've ever listened

i agree. i had ms1 with pimeta with opa637. now i have another pimeta/opa637 and i find the sr60 quite a bit more listenable, though perhaps not as accurate. the ms1 hurt my ears quickly. if you can get over that, that's a blessing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back