Grado Sr-60 or koss protapros
Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Kossinater101

New Head-Fier
I will be getting $200 from relatives and I have decided to get the grado sr-80i. I will be getting a a second pair but I do not know which to choose, I dj and walk around public with my headphones so I do not care about wearing big headphones, its kinda in style now, but thanks not the case. My choice is between koss pp's and the sr-60s, so which would sound better. And how would they fit up against the koss DJ100.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 14
There's no point in getting the 60s if you already have the 80s (which are fantastic phones, by the way!)...I'd go for something a little different, or maybe some IEMs.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
I haven't got them yet sorry I meant I gonna get them, also I don't have or want a amp.

Either the 60s or 80s are great choices if you want to avoid picking up an amp. They can easily be powered out of an iPhone or whatever. I've listened to a handful of other headphones in that price range, and also some IEMs, and the 80s really blew me a way. They aren't everyones cup of tea, but if you're planning to buy two pairs of headphones I think going with either Grado model would be a great decision. I've never really come across much else in the under 100 price range that I really liked in terms of headphones (I'm sure others will chime in), but there are some nice buys in IEMs that may interest you. The Atrio M5s with the acclaimed MG7 driver retail for $199 but there is a 50% off code you can use. They are fantastic IEMs, and for that price they're a steal.

But a lot of people, including myself, like to buy a pair of Grados and then get another complementary pair. It just allows you to have more flexibility when you listen to your music, and honestly it's a lot more fun to play with two pairs instead of just one :) 

There are lots of headphones/IEMs that are easy to drive, so I'm sure others will post with their suggestions. If you need more info on the Grados, head over to the Grado Fan Club thread....lots of great info.

Good luck!

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Get the CAL!   That will give you a quality close phone and one with a much different sound signature to go with you Grado 80's.

The Koss may not be at its best unamped.

Or maybe just get the Grado 225.

the PPs may not be at it's best unamped? i wasn't aware of that... i thought they where marketed as portables....

i can't comment on the grados (all i've got are senns and the PPs)  but the PPs are great HPs. if you're getting the 80's (unless you plan on modding lol) i would go with the PPs because the 80s will be better, theoretically than the 60s.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 14
The Porta Pro and SR-80 are a downgrade from the DJ100.
If you don't have an amp for the DJ100 (do you have the DJ100?) I'd suggest that instead.

The SR-225i on the other hand, might be an upgrade. Depends on how you look at it.

The only thing the SR-80 does better than the DJ100 is...well nothing. It has more treble and is..can't think of anything here.

Had the SR-80 for about 5 years..

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 14
it's ok. the point still remains that unless you plan on doing any modding, buying a headphone of the same basic sound signature with somewhat "lower" levels of performance  doesn't seem to be logical (in my mind at least.) so i would still go with the Koss. personally.

if, you plan on modding (which i would) i would go with the 60s and visit one of the great threads we have here on modding them.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 14
I would like to throw the Sony MDR-V6/7506 into the discussion.

Another question altogether is why not spend the money you planned to spend on 2 pairs of good headphones and buy a pair of great headphones instead?

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
sorry What is a good $100 shure headphone?

In the studio monitoring line there is only the Shure SRH 440.  It's a good $100 and under can, but not as good as less expensive CAL!, which is turn is not as good as the $120-$140 Brainwavz HM 5.

The 440 is built to take a little punishment--significantly more than the CAL! and does fold up for a mobility advantage.

The next step up in the Shure is the SRH880, which come is at the price of the Brainwavz or a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back