Grado SR-325 - Different Color Options?
Mar 21, 2004 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hybridamp

100+ Head-Fier
Mar 21, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 13
i believe the black model is the older one, and that current production 325s are silver. there is no documented difference in sound signature between the two.

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 13
I'd get the black ones, just for the fact that they might be worth more, in terms of resale value, in years to come, compared to the 'standard' silver ones...

Either way, you'll be getting yourself a great set of cans!
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Are silver SR-325's painted or not?

My MS-2's are silver color, but no painting, it's the color of aluminium alloy itself. The right color should "aluminium color" not "silver color" then.

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Some say the older black ones has a more balanced, less-agressive sound. They seem to be worth more because of this (and preferred of course). There was some speculation on this a while ago.

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Some of the older black 325's were actually sold with flat pads.

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Kirosia
Some say the older black ones has a more balanced, less-agressive sound. They seem to be worth more because of this (and preferred of course). There was some speculation on this a while ago.

I talked with a guy that had both. He said there is no differance and the reason why some people thought there was had to do with pads (the black's came with flats , slivers come with bowls).

Mar 22, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 13
Then we should use more accurate expressions:

The old SR-325's, aluminium alloy, mashined, painted, black color .
The new SR-325's, aluminium alloy, mashined, lacquered, (natural) aluminium color.

If the paining is applied on the outer curface if the cylindrical air chambers only, there should be no sound difference between these two moddifications.

The most probable reason behind black color painting is that John Grado visually unified all Prestige Series models. Later he found out that the aluminum chambers are better looking and kept the natural color of aluminium without further finishing (apart of colorless lacquering).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back