GRADO SR 315i ...larger pads ?
Feb 9, 2015 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

funkymartyn

500+ Head-Fier
hi there , not been on this forum for a while, but was thinking does anyone know about the larger ear pads which fit the 315i, but are meant to be for the gs 1000   headphone ?.....Will it make a more comfy fit ?....how about the sound difference, if any ?.....as anyone upgraded to these larger pads yet ?....they cost £60 in the uk.....so I was wondering if they are worth it for the comfort ?......tyhanks in advance ..martyn

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I bought the larger G cushions for my 325e and I've been using those instead of the stock L cushions.  It's not that the stock cushions are uncomfortable, but I can wear my headphones all day with the G and not notice them.  Very comfy.

Sound wise, I'd say they're very close, with the stock pronouncing the low-mid sound more and the G having a very slight emphasis on the treble because of the reduced lows.  In all honesty I couldn't say that it was so different that I had a preference in the way they each sound.  Yes they do sound a little different, but in the end, the comfort of G cushions is what mattered to my ears.

By the way, I think you mean the 325, not the 315 series. 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 8

Some people like the way the (G) cushions sound with the 325 ("is" model in my case)..and some don't. If you don't have a comfort issue with the (L) cushions I personally wouldn't use the (G) cushions on the 325. IME/IMO the 325 loses bass/focus/mid-range and musical texture and emphasizes the high frequencies. The (L) cushions which come stock with the 325 IMO is what makes the 325 an excellent HP.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I just switched my HF1 over to the ear Zonk G-cush, and in one sense it is more comfortable because it spreads the pressure points out a bit around the head.  So I don't get those hot spot areas around the extremities of my ears.  They trap more heat though because its a larger pad area on my cheeks and jaw area.  I wasn't expecting this.

FWIW the HF1 has always been one of the warmer-smoother sounding Grados.  The added treble sparkle and air around notes works very well with this one.  Not sure how it would sound with the various 325 models.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm still in the process of breaking mine in.  I can see me swapping out the cushions depending on genre/mood too rather than for comfort only.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for info, while on this thread, anybody any info on the project headbox s ,Using grado sr 315i, and sennheiser hd 580...

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Anyone know of a good place ( uk )...etc....where you can get a good sr325i earpad...but not paying the full price of the original £25.....etc.......or as anyone used the Amazon store one brand at about  £12......thanks in advance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back