Grado SR-200 with HP-1000 drivers versus Alessandro MS-2. Versus the Darth Beyers.
Oct 27, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
[SNIP]soooooo i guess i have to say goodbye to the MS-2. oh man. letting buyer know now. before i wakeup and say *what did i do?* FAREWELL TEAM ALESSANDRO!

Man, that sounds like a hard thing to do. I'd hate to have to do that
frown.gif

Best,

-Chad

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coalescent
Man, that sounds like a hard thing to do. I'd hate to have to do that
frown.gif

Best,

-Chad

Oi, you don't have to tell me. Heading home now to pack it and ship it asap tomorrow morn before I even have a chance to get seller's remorse, for the sake of a smooth transaction. LONG LIVE ALESSANDRO!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #50 of 63
if they make a Alessandro PS-1 I might just keel over and croak.

BTW all the way home I was like "Ms-2 MS-2 did I make the wrong choice why did i sell it oh man argh"

But then I got home and listened to the whole album of Electronic - "Raise the Pressure" with the SR200 and said to myself "it's all good these are good i'm ok no worries both great cans hey i never heard that before" and just lost myself in the music.

yeah, good music reproduced well can talk you down from seller's remorse.

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #51 of 63
time for late nite typin in the dark and listening to closed can beyers again. interesting - maybe because it's quieter, because the power is cleaner since the whole building is asleep, because soundstage is better for live gigs - but the Darth Beyers sound better than the SR200 with SRV live on my DVD. HMM.

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #52 of 63
No need to feel sad... you "could" get the MS-2 any time with money. What you are listening to now is truly unique. Enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

I was joking about the Alessandro Music Series Three.

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

time for late nite typin in the dark and listening to closed can beyers again. interesting - maybe because it's quieter, because the power is cleaner since the whole building is asleep, because soundstage is better for live gigs - but the Darth Beyers sound better than the SR200 with SRV live on my DVD. HMM.

That's it, succumb to the darkness.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just got my recabled beyers, and its almost like the jump from the chaintech to the emu, more detail, tighter bass, smoother highs, and most definately more evil.

Nov 2, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #54 of 63
Grats on the Darth Beyers! Truly, those cans exist only to destroy your brain.

BTW with the new PC1000 power conditioning, the SR200 became like a whole new can with my rig, because it was so sensitive to any alteration in the signal possibly. How else can you explain my previously congested DVDs sounding clear as a bell? Plus I tried some Propellerheads with this rig again and I was Blown Away. Had so much fun (yes, FUN) with these cans, the poor 770 had no chance to get on my head last nite. Actually, I'm a bit scared of checking them out now with the Death Star fully operational...

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #55 of 63
Latest update. Well it was bound to happen. The SR200s have burrowed themselves into my brain, saying "THIS is what you want to hear. Don't listen to the Dark Side." As a result, the second I put on the Beyers I hear sibilance that seems way overexaggerated compared to how I heard it a week ago. I think the SR200s are to blame, feeding me a week's worth of sibilance-free tunes. I guess that's why A/B tests are inaccurate. I stuck to just the SR200 for a week, and when it got too late, i just went to sleep instead of slapping the beyers on. Today the DT770 is just Soooo sibilant. Ouch!

But on the other hand, the SR200 doesn't sound as "Special" anymore - because again, my ears are used to them now and consider them "default." Ah well, such price Neutrality!

BTW the same with the Solo. Only on some outrageous tracks now does the Solo remind you that it can kick out some bass. Everywhere else it gives you a nice balanced attack that just let you enjoy the music and forget about the rig. Which is nice.

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #56 of 63
It's all about the balanacing act
smily_headphones1.gif
It shouldn't always be too much bass, too smooth, or too much sibilance, etc. Different tracks should all yield different results and those extreme cases as you witnessed should really stand out. I find many systems somewhat homogenous.

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #57 of 63
Whoa. Well, that's that. The Tushi destroys the Ipod.

Source wars. Since the Solo has two RCA inputs and a flip switch in the front, I decided it was time to A/B the only legit sources I have - the 3960 and the Ipod. Put on "No Scrubs" by TLC and flipped back and forth, back and forth. No contest. Listening to the Ipod was listening to FM radio compared to being in the studio itself. It wasn't volume, which can sometimes fool the ear in thinking "louder=more detail." No, it was more like a wall of cotton versus clarity. I know there are better sources than the 3960 that can be even more revealing, but at this price point it's hard to beat (maybe a 1212? computers as source sort of freak me out tho - i've been reading those forums and all those settings make my head spin).

Don't get me wrong, the Ipod is great for portable purposes. But as a Home rig source, it falls short of what a dedicated CDP can provide. Go, Team Source First!

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #58 of 63
Hey Jahn, did you see the woody SR-200's with HP-1000 drivers? Buy that one and give us all an update.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would, but I just bought another pair of his headphones.

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Hey Jahn, did you see the woody SR-200's with HP-1000 drivers? Buy that one and give us all an update.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would, but I just bought another pair of his headphones.

Ack I wish! And look at the HP-2 recabled he has up there too! Man if I was Mr. Moneybags I'd be all over those!
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Ack I wish! And look at the HP-2 recabled he has up there too! Man if I was Mr. Moneybags I'd be all over those!
blink.gif

Those might just be the ultimate headphones. If you're a Grado fan
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back