Grado sound. I understand now
Apr 21, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #16 of 35
I don't mean at all to sht on the thread, but just to inject an alternative point-of-view, Grados were my first "nice" headphones and I listened to them for quite a while. Once I finally heard the Senn 600s, it was like the music was finally there for me to listen to rather than be injected onto my eardrums.

Just to say: Grado's forward, bright presentation isn't preferred by all.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
I don't mean at all to sht on the thread, but just to inject an alternative point-of-view, Grados were my first "nice" headphones and I listened to them for quite a while. Once I finally heard the Senn 600s, it was like the music was finally there for me to listen to rather than be injected onto my eardrums.

Very true!! That's the glory of this hobby, we can all find what we like if we just spend a little effort!!

My home speaker system is a bit bright and foreward by choice, so my MS-1s are a near perfect match!!

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Well the headband isn't really that tight. I don't find the headband that unconfortable.

regarding those HD414 pads. I currently have bowls which have no foam in front of the driver. Wouldn't the added foam fron the hd414 pads decrease sound quality?

I just replaced my stock black comfies with quartered HD414 pads and the sound is slightly improved and the comfort I'd say is about the same. I'd stay with the bows unless you find them really uncomfortable. Then you can look at either flats or C-pads.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 35
You can also put the HD414s on backwards by cutting the same size hole and stretching them on backwards. Gives a lot more foam on your ears.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac

OK. Which Grados did you have? I have the SR325i, which is considered by many to be one of the brightest Grados around along with the SR125. Quite frankly, I don't find them too bright at all. Onced burned in and amplified using compatible gear, it is definitely one of the sweetest sounding headphones I've ever tried. The nicely controlled bass and sweet sounding midrange are one of the strong points of the SR325i. Crystal clear highs and excellent performer/musician/instrument spacial separation only adds to its long list of qualities. They are, admittedly, a little on the heavy side and the padding on the headband is also inadequate.

I, for one, don't enjoy the Sennheiser HD650 quite as much because of its lack of clarity with dark recordings. That said, neither do I enjoy the Grado SR325i with bright Jap pop recordings! I perfectly understand when some people say Grados are harsh, but only if they say they are relatively harsh compared to X headphone.

I have yet to try Grados amped with a nice tube amp and apparently, all the harshness is removed. I am currently looking at the Singlepower range of amps. At around the $1k mark, the PPX and MPX sound pretty reasonable.

And FYI, different pads give a very different presentation and sound signature. I personally prefer bowls as TTVJ flats put too much emphasis on the lower midrange and bass. HD414 pads just made my SR325i sound worse, so they didn't stay for long. Instead, I put them on my now-gone PX100.

my .02

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
mad.gif
dont do this to me...i want to be done

my thought exactly. i was contemplating getting some grados since my 580s seem to lack the ability to play my rock music loud and clear (maybe its just bad compression) but now i think i have to buy the ms-1's
frown.gif
ill be happy when i get them im sure
rs1smile.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

I received today the grado sr225 I bought from GoRedwings19. I have been listening for 2 hours now using a fairly maxed pimeta with steps and a sony cdplayer(from my speaker stereo "hifi", nothing fancy). I'm loving the sound, the detail, They're much closer to the music than the senn HD650. I hear new snare drums, cimbals, the bass guitar how, I'm amazed, I never thought they would be this good.

I've listened to Leonard Cohen's "Ten New Songs", some buddha bar, Vaia Con Dios and now I'm listening to Gentlemen(german ragae with jamaican accent ).

It seem like there was a curtain between me and the music and that curtain was lifted.

The only complain I have is that they're not as confortable as the senns. They're a bit fatiging in that way, is there someting I can do to make them more confortable?

Manuel

will you ever use your senns again, or will the grados stay in heavy rotation?

i can't decide if i should even bother with senns or not, because sometimes i find my ms-1s to be too dark.. and if there isn't enough upper range clarity in what i listen to i generally don't listen to it.....

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #24 of 35
Pop the pads off your hd650s and remove the foam and get ready for a surprise. Of course you dont want to leave the drivers exposed like that so you'll have to find something thin to stretch over where the foam was.

Where's the veil?!
smily_headphones1.gif
Just try it, it's very easy, just don't be kicking up dirt into them.
wink.gif

If anyone says "don't do it because that's not how they're meant to be"...just look at all the grado mods.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

I received today the grado sr225 I bought from GoRedwings19. I have been listening for 2 hours now using a fairly maxed pimeta with steps and a sony cdplayer(from my speaker stereo "hifi", nothing fancy). I'm loving the sound, the detail, They're much closer to the music than the senn HD650. I hear new snare drums, cimbals, the bass guitar how, I'm amazed, I never thought they would be this good.

I've listened to Leonard Cohen's "Ten New Songs", some buddha bar, Vaia Con Dios and now I'm listening to Gentlemen(german ragae with jamaican accent ).

It seem like there was a curtain between me and the music and that curtain was lifted.

The only complain I have is that they're not as confortable as the senns. They're a bit fatiging in that way, is there someting I can do to make them more confortable?

Manuel

Must... resist.... RS1....HP1000...PS1
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123
Pop the pads off your hd650s and remove the foam and get ready for a surprise. Of course you dont want to leave the drivers exposed like that so you'll have to find something thin to stretch over where the foam was.

Where's the veil?!
smily_headphones1.gif
Just try it, it's very easy, just don't be kicking up dirt into them.
wink.gif

If anyone says "don't do it because that's not how they're meant to be"...just look at all the grado mods.
tongue.gif

Yeah I know, I've done that a few months ago and that's how I use them.
What would you recomend to stretch instead of the foam?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13yond
will you ever use your senns again, or will the grados stay in heavy rotation?

i can't decide if i should even bother with senns or not, because sometimes i find my ms-1s to be too dark.. and if there isn't enough upper range clarity in what i listen to i generally don't listen to it.....

Well I just got the grado's yesterday and didn't do any critical listening and comparison with the senns yet.
I'll probably do some quiet, long listening session during the weekend.

Regarding those hd414 pads, I really can't stand the yellow look I will also use them outside and that would draw too much attention. Do they have them in black?

ANd headphile, well at least for the moment I'm happilly broke, so I can't try their products. The looks of those c-pads... not for me.

Goredwings, you said the phones won't be so refined with the flats, could you elaborate on this?

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #29 of 35
I actually prefer the bowls to the hd414 pads on my HF-1. I still don't find them confy and they are kinda fatiguing, but the sound makes it worthwhile. I do like having a more confortable/less fatiguing alternative though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back