Grado sound. I understand now
Apr 20, 2006 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
I received today the grado sr225 I bought from GoRedwings19. I have been listening for 2 hours now using a fairly maxed pimeta with steps and a sony cdplayer(from my speaker stereo "hifi", nothing fancy). I'm loving the sound, the detail, They're much closer to the music than the senn HD650. I hear new snare drums, cimbals, the bass guitar how, I'm amazed, I never thought they would be this good.

I've listened to Leonard Cohen's "Ten New Songs", some buddha bar, Vaia Con Dios and now I'm listening to Gentlemen(german ragae with jamaican accent ).

It seem like there was a curtain between me and the music and that curtain was lifted.

The only complain I have is that they're not as confortable as the senns. They're a bit fatiging in that way, is there someting I can do to make them more confortable?

Manuel

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 35
For the comfort, get some HD414 pads from sennheiser direct and put those on. Not only improves comfort but sound as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 35
Glad you enjoy them. I love my grado's and don;t see any need to even audition any other cans out.

For comfort, the headband can be quite a tight fit, so grab each earcup and hold by the R and L plastic bits where the headband goes into.
Pull outwards until it gets wider, it will then not clamp as hard on your head so will be more comfortable. The documentation provided with them also recommends doing this.

happy, and comfortable listening
biggrin.gif

adam

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 35
Does anyone like Headphile or maybe Headphile improve the headband?

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 35
Well the headband isn't really that tight. I don't find the headband that unconfortable.

regarding those HD414 pads. I currently have bowls which have no foam in front of the driver. Wouldn't the added foam fron the hd414 pads decrease sound quality?

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Well the headband isn't really that tight. I don't find the headband that unconfortable.

regarding those HD414 pads. I currently have bowls which have no foam in front of the driver. Wouldn't the added foam fron the hd414 pads decrease sound quality?

Hi dude,

I forgot to mention to try out flat pads. But there will some changes. There will be more bass impact. more bass. Less soundstage and the sound not so "raw". It still won;t be refined as your other phones but it might help with the listener fatigue.

Hope that helps

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 35
Someone posted a long time ago a quick and cheap mod. $7:

The Source, Radio Shack, whatever, have replacement pads for Panasonic earphones. You pop off the cup, slip the foamies on, and put the cup back on. Fits good, looks good. It kills some of the highs (the sparkling highs), but the bass wakes up slightly. I use them outdoors, so I probably wouldn't miss the top end and appreciate the bass. Oh, did I mention they feel about 100% more comfortable?

I tried it and ended up keeping them on . The best part, is when you're at home listening, you can just take them off!

[edit] Congrats on the 225. It's a goodie!

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyruiz
Does anyone like Headphile or maybe Headphile improve the headband?

I love Headphile! Larry is da shi*! Seriously though, Larry does some amazing work and he is a real pleasure to deal with. I actually love the Headphile Headband on my RS-1's - it makes them lighter and much more comfortable. The C-Pads are great as well as they add another flavor to the Grado sound.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos

The foam in front of the driver is usually removed by "Quarter-modding" In other words, a 25mm hole is punched through the foam.

One advantage of the 414 is the ability to add a larger or smaller sized hole and change the sound somewhat!

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Even though they really aren't real Grados in a sense, I managed to increase the comfort on my Sr-40s by applying a strip of foam padding across the inside part of the headband. The foam I used came with a desk I bought. It is pretty dense and can came with a sticky adhesive on one side.

now that's thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back