Grado sound + Bass
Dec 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #31 of 62
I don't listen to intrumental, or many orchestral peices. If I were to, I've got that covered. I'd be getting a Grado simply for J-rock really, which rely on great instrument separation, vocals, bass guitar, electric guitars, and high frequencies.

Just sampled FLOW, Ne-Yo, and Lupe Fiasco (checked your profile for your musical preferences) on the iTunes store using my IPod Touch 5th gen (no eq applied) and SR-325i (one model above the 225is you are interested in, because I am listening to 325i and not the 225i, I can only approximate the following review towards the 225i however I know for a fact the 325i has a closer sound stage).

My impression of FLOW(multiple songs): Vocals are definantly center stage, with balanced bass and guitar behind him and off to the left and right if I was to approximate the stage, I'd say 10-15 feet away from the singer, which is against the front fence for the stage security at a general admission concert, 15-20 feet wide (the 225i maybe 15-25 feet away, 15 feet wide) their play style in a lot of songs seem to be instruments accompany the vocals more than outperform them presenting a warm impression on me. I defininitely feel the energy from the drums and wish he was a little bit closer to the front of the stage and enjoy the aggressive style of the drummer. I think the Grado's did a good job seperating and emphasizing the parts they needed to.

Ne-Yo(on multiple songs) was a little too close for comfort. I don't think I ever want any male R&B singer this close to me, a little too intimate for my tastes(I hear him breathing right onto me). I think the vocals are emphasized way too much, he left the rest of the band on stage and is now on one knee handing me a rose on the 325is, I'd approximate about 5-10 feet away on the 225i.

I sampled and enjoyed the imaging on Till I get There by Lupe Fiasco. The piano off to the right was about 15 feet away the drummer was slightly off to the left at 12 feet away and Fiasco was about 7 feet away.

In terms of enjoyment I'd say FLOW>Lupe Fiasco> Ne-Yo

Grado's have a tendency to be really good at rock instruments (drum set, bass guitar, vocals, guitar) so I knew entering this review that FLOW would have the best performance on these, but I was surprised by Ne-yo placing last because I expected R&B to do well, I think this is the result of the 325i being too close for comfort and not Grado's in general.

I hope this answers your question. When people think it is one dimensional I think it is mostly that they are not used to being so close to the performers.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #32 of 62
Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to them.  

FLOW is still my favorite artist and I'm currently listening to Wont You Stay on the FLOW the Max !! album (Sony MDR MA900).  Wont You Stay (Flow the Max) , On My Way (Flow the Max), and Sign (Microcosm) are my favorites, so if you could listen to those it'd be cool.  Also like Lamborghini Angels (Lupe, Food and Liquor 2), Unforgivable Youth (same).

I'm really only getting these for J-Rock artists like FLOW.  I don't even listen to Ne-Yo anymore.  I still listen to Lupe.

You have definitely convinced me to buy the SR225i.  If I don't like them, I'll just return them (like I have with so many products on Amazon), so not too much of a gamble.

Gotta update my profile.  Change Ne-Yo.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #34 of 62
Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to them.  

FLOW is still my favorite artist and I'm currently listening to Wont You Stay on the FLOW the Max !! album (Sony MDR MA900).  Wont You Stay (Flow the Max) , On My Way (Flow the Max), and Sign (Microcosm) are my favorites, so if you could listen to those it'd be cool.  Also like Lamborghini Angels (Lupe, Food and Liquor 2), Unforgivable Youth (same).

I'm really only getting these for J-Rock artists like FLOW.  I don't even listen to Ne-Yo anymore.  I still listen to Lupe.

You have definitely convinced me to buy the SR225i.  If I don't like them, I'll just return them (like I have with so many products on Amazon), so not too much of a gamble.

Gotta update my profile.  Change Ne-Yo.

Won't You Stay was actually my favorite song to sample on that album the high energy drumset really got me hooked. Sign didn't do well on the 325i for it's aggresive treble, too sibilant, but I don't think the 225i will have the same issue. Lamborghini Angels was enjoyable, I could tell there was sub bass missing (Grado's have a roll-off which makes anything under 80 hertz feel underwelming) Unforgivable Youth had a really nice guitar and vocal speration/duet, can't tell if it was the recording or not, but the background percussion came off as a little muddy. I think you'll enjoy the SR-225i for J-Rock.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #36 of 62
Now its SR225i vs SR325i.

I enjoyed 225i very much, and rather disliked 325is. 225i is fast and clear. 325is sounded "dirty" in comparison, just much less clear. At the time, I attributed that to the bass, but now I'm not so sure.

325is should be more durable because it's metal, but I've never heard of durability's being an issue.

If comfort is an issue (it was for me), I recommend Turbulent Labs aftermarket headbands, which you can buy with the money you saved buying 225i instead. You'd also have enough left over for extra L-cushions if you want to try tape-modding.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #38 of 62
SR225i Impressions:

Short listen today. I really liked them.

First off, they definitely don't feel like $200 headphones both on and off the head. That is a somewhat good thing, since they are rediculously light, so they were very comfortable.

Sound wise, I honestly don't understand how people can call these overly bright. The highs seem flat to me. Granted they have more treble than a ton of other full sized cans but that's only saying something about the others.

Whenever I buy headphones, I try to eq them to as close to flat as possible, then I add some personal flavor. The frequency response of the sr225i basically has THAT frequency response. They are what I have strived for. The bass is very tight...very tight, and it is substantial enough for me at least. The mids are very clear, a perfect distance away from the listener. I have always wanted a headphone that is relatively close and livlely, while at the same time keeping the vocals from yelling right into my ear canal. These fit that need.

Now lets compare them to the MDR MA900 (direct competition):

MA900 is better built, and that's saying something. Ma900 is also more comfortable. Those two things were expected.

Sound wise, I definitely didn't have enough time. I can say the MA900 has slightly more bass and they extend a little lower. The sr225i is brighter, airier, but the sound stage is definitely not as large or deep. SR225i is a little bit faster, really meaning the instrument separation is still really good when the music gets faster, and when the volume is increased. The ma900 has more warmth and lower mids overall.

As for genres: the SR225i did well with everything I played except with hip hop and r&b. Simply to thin and bright sounding. Definitely not enough bass extension, but I wasn't disappointed since I knew this coming in. Utterly fantastic at rock and really good with PSY (don't even know what genre he is).

The ma900 is just really good all around but not as great at rock without the assistance of eq (even then it's not as good).

One thing that stood out to me was the vocals. Perfectly represented with warmth and air side by side. In addition, the drivers are matched very well, so the vocals sound like they are coming perpendicular to you.

Not sure if I'll get them though. I liked them but they are really in the same class as the MA900. Ill sleep on it.

Loved them though!

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #39 of 62
Somebody had a good day. Super! And good observations. Demoing headphones is so much fun--especially Grados.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #40 of 62
Definitely!

They also had the SR60i and RS1i. Didn't bother listening to them. Didn't want to have to buy the RS1. Probably would've had to go to sleep thinking about them.

Yeah, I've decided to get the SR225i. Well, if I go to Best Buy next weekend and fall in love with the K 545, I'll be in a bind.

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #42 of 62
That does sound like a complementary pairing from what I've read about the Fidelio. Sweet!

Once you've had some time with 225i, I'd be curious to know if K167 is at all similar (still looking for a closed Grado).

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #43 of 62
I can tell you they sound somewhat similar, but the k167 is built horribly. It breaks for pretty much everyone who has bought it. Not me though. Its definitely not choose enough to call it a closed Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back