Grado RS2 is such a bargain.
Feb 28, 2008 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
I had my RS2 posted for Interest Check and already had a few potential buyers. However, when I pull them from my closet earlier to take some close-up pictures, I decided to hook it to my Predator for the last round of listening. The Grado magic just hit me again...

I took a moment to listen to the RS2/Predator combo for 2 tracks of acoustic and vocal, and you guess what.... I decided to retract my offer. The RS2 is a keeper.... and you can get them brand new for less than $500.

Why does everyone pay more attention to RS1 and GS1000 ? I guess that no one is the same and music appreciation is no less different ?

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 28
Interesting - I have heard the opposite - RS2 is not very great in performance/price ratio. Perhaps it might be that your amp has great synergy with RS2s?

I went from SR80-SR225->MS2is and thinking about RS1...
I guess everyone's ear is different I guess!

Glad you like them though
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my RS2 posted for Interest Check and already had a few potential buyers. However, when I pull them from my closet earlier to take some close-up pictures, I decided to hook it to my Predator for the last round of listening. The Grado magic just hit me again...

I took a moment to listen to the RS2/Predator combo for 2 tracks of acoustic and vocal, and you guess what.... I decided to retract my offer. The RS2 is a keeper.... and you can get them brand new for less than $500.

Why does everyone pay more attention to RS1 and GS1000 ? I guess that no one is the same and music appreciation is no less different ?

right after i sold a pair to jgonino
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 28
I will sure to test this out when mine arrive today!

Don't worry kamal, you can always get another pair. Heck, I might not even like the pair i'm getting!

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Perhaps it might be that your amp has great synergy with RS2s?

I guess that you'd nailed it right...

I found the RS2 can be very thin with a few of my other amps. I've been using them with my other home amps and did not pay attention to the Predator until last night. I'm glad that I gave the RS2 a chance with the Predator.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 28
I would guess most peeps felt the same way I did -- I almost got RS2's, but figured "heck, if spending this much, I may as well just get the RS-1's, or I'll always be wondering "what-if".
Almost got the RS-2's anyway, but....

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 28
i haven't spent a lot of time comparing the RS1 and RS2 but my initial impression is that they sound very close. i think even my woodied 325 sounds close to my RS1, although definitely not as smooth and more bright.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i haven't spent a lot of time comparing the RS1 and RS2 but my initial impression is that they sound very close. i think even my woodied 325 sounds close to my RS1, although definitely not as smooth and more bright.

The RS2 is smoother than the RS1. To my ears, the RS1 has more high extension, and the upper midrange is more forward. That upper midrange might become harsh on some recordings. However, I haven't experience that coloration on the RS2. I guess if you like the extended high and forward upper midrange, which is very good for distorted guitar, then you like the RS1 more than the RS2.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 28
I have never been so satisfied with my headphones than I am with RS-2's. Whatever music genre I throw at them they sound great and when I change op-amps or tubes I can hear the differences straight away.

In fact when I got my SR-225's I saw dreams where I was owning RS-2's and my dream has been reality for two months now. I haven't tested with flats almost at all because I find the bowls sounding just right.

Right now I'm enjoying Kraftwerk's "The Robots" :rs2smile:

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never been so satisfied with my headphones than I am with RS-2's. Whatever music genre I throw at them they sound great and when I change op-amps or tubes I can hear the differences straight away.

In fact when I got my SR-225's I saw dreams where I was owning RS-2's and my dream has been reality for two months now. I haven't tested with flats almost at all because I find the bowls sounding just right.

Right now I'm enjoying Kraftwerk's "The Robots" :rs2smile:

I'll let you know how 'Robots' sounds on vinyl with my RS-2s
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS2 is smoother than the RS1. To my ears, the RS1 has more high extension, and the upper midrange is more forward. That upper midrange might become harsh on some recordings. However, I haven't experience that coloration on the RS2. I guess if you like the extended high and forward upper midrange, which is very good for distorted guitar, then you like the RS1 more than the RS2.

x2, and agreed on personally preferring the RS-2. Head-fi always opts for the higher MSRP. If a bunch of testers were blindfolded, I think the split in preference between the two RS models would be 50/50, and would have a lot to do with choice of music.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flatpopely /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll let you know how 'Robots' sounds on vinyl with my RS-2s
wink.gif

My brother has all Kraftwerk's albums in vinyl. I happen to find "The Catalogue" ripped in FLAC's which sounds very nice because they are carefully remastered without sounding too digital. I would love to own "The Catalogue" CD's some day but it was a small print promo copy so it would cost hundreds of dollars to buy it. I think FLAC rips are then justified.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 28
So what types of music might favor the RS-2 and what types would favor the RS-1?

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what types of music might favor the RS-2 and what types would favor the RS-1?

They both share the Grado "Magic", but the RS2 midrange and trebble is less extended in comparison to RS1. If I take a grain of salt of Jazz and Rock, the RS2 would be great with Jazz while the RS1 would be great with Rock. However, both can do well in these genres, depending on your own preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back