Grado RS1e matters (and impressions)
Feb 28, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #182 of 290
I'm so pleased that you are doing this. I am currently doing a detailed comparison of 4 Grados, including the RS1i/e transitional red-eye driver cans, but I don't have access to the latest version of the RS1e. Having just bought the GH1, I am unwilling to spend that kind of money just for one post! So... I am looking for information about how the latest RS1e actually sounds. I can't wait either.

I am really looking forward to hearing the new RS1's. My enthusiasm is definitely tempered by my previous experience but I am hopeful. It was my first Grado headphone and when i realized it stunk, I sold it and almost didn't buy another Grado headphone. In my typical "go big or go home" fashion I bought a pair of PS1000e's that I love. We'll see what happens. They arrive Monday.

- David

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #183 of 290
It's my favorite Grado headphone so I bought one for the office that I also use when traveling. I keep the first pair I bought a couple months ago at home. I try to hide it because my wife loves it and has tried to swipe it! Lol

I would've loved for my wife to share my passion for music, and headphones. I still remember, one night she said ''It's either me, or the audio, make your choice''. Wherever she is, I hope she's doing well.
wink.gif

I understand. I'm currently toying with the idea of buying two more pairs of PS1000, this way, I'd have one pair in my living room, one in my den, and one in my home office.

This way I'd run less risk of hurting my back, transporting the very heavy PS1000, from one room to the other.
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #184 of 290
So, initial impression is they are all midrange and very little bottom end or top end. Almost a crunchy sound. I have 60 days to return them, so I'll run through 30 - 40 hours of music over the next week and see how they progress. The GH1's sounded great out of the box. These don't. They also have a serial number of 334xx. The ones I bought last year were 330xx.My memory of my previous set of RS1e's is pretty much what these sound like. 

I'll report back in a few days.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #185 of 290
  So, initial impression is they are all midrange and very little bottom end or top end. Almost a crunchy sound. I have 60 days to return them, so I'll run through 30 - 40 hours of music over the next week and see how they progress. The GH1's sounded great out of the box. These don't. They also have a serial number of 334xx. The ones I bought last year were 330xx.My memory of my previous set of RS1e's is pretty much what these sound like. 

Thanks for this update.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #186 of 290

I will say I wasn't blown away by the RS1e at first listen but I did notice an improvement from my first pair I owned. Since then I've logged around 40 to 50 hours on them and I can say they have really opened up. I agree that the GH1 sounded great right out of the box but now having spent more time with both of them I can say the RS1e just sounds smoother and more refined. I can't say which one is better because they are just different; but I do know neither will be returned. The GH1 much like my RS2e doesn't seem to require much of an amp to be enjoyed where the RS1e benefits the most from one. I will say with the improvement I've heard at 40~ hours I can't wait to hear what they will sound like at 100 which is what most say is required for these larger e series drivers to break in.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #187 of 290

I will say I wasn't blown away by the RS1e at first listen but I did notice an improvement from my first pair I owned. Since then I've logged around 40 to 50 hours on them and I can say they have really opened up. I agree that the GH1 sounded great right out of the box but now having spent more time with both of them I can say the RS1e just sounds smoother and more refined. I can't say which one is better because they are just different; but I do know neither will be returned. The GH1 much like my RS2e doesn't seem to require much of an amp to be enjoyed where the RS1e benefits the most from one. I will say with the improvement I've heard at 40~ hours I can't wait to hear what they will sound like at 100 which is what most say is required for these larger e series drivers to break in.

Now see, you have me very hopeful... 
biggrin.gif

I played an assortment of stuff through the RS1e's over night (about 15 hours worth) at a quiet volume through my Aasgard (on "high output) with the volume about 8 o'clock. That's the volume I use for my PS1000's. Anyway, I can hear an improvement in the lows and highs, but nothing drastic. These definitely sound better than my previous pair. I had at least 50 hours on them when I sold them and they didn't do anything for me. I'm enjoying listening to these, so that says a lot. I'd say 60-70% chance I'm keeping them.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #188 of 290

biggrin.gif

I played an assortment of stuff through the RS1e's over night (about 15 hours worth) at a quiet volume through my Aasgard (on "high output) with the volume about 8 o'clock. That's the volume I use for my PS1000's. Anyway, I can hear an improvement in the lows and highs, but nothing drastic. These definitely sound better than my previous pair. I had at least 50 hours on them when I sold them and they didn't do anything for me. I'm enjoying listening to these, so that says a lot. I'd say 60-70% chance I'm keeping them.

I enjoy the heck out of the RS2e and GH1 and I'm glad to see that you own the PS1000e (which is suppose to be my end game) and still enjoy the other models as well. The RS1e seems to require  a bit of patience to be fully enjoyed, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone for wanting to return them because of done it myself on plenty of other headphones. We all hear things a little differently but I'm glad you have 60 day's to make a decision about them.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #189 of 290

biggrin.gif

Thanks to you both for this good information. My RS1i/e Frankensteins continued to change over a long period... certainly until 100+ hours. Keep the news coming!

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #190 of 290

I enjoy the heck out of the RS2e and GH1 and I'm glad to see that you own the PS1000e (which is suppose to be my end game) and still enjoy the other models as well. The RS1e seems to require  a bit of patience to be fully enjoyed, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone for wanting to return them because of done it myself on plenty of other headphones. We all hear things a little differently but I'm glad you have 60 day's to make a decision about them.

My PS1000e's were pretty darn good out of the box and have improved a lot over the past year. I have around 100 hours on them. They are a little more balanced than the GH1's with more mid-range, but still great clarity. The bass isn't as deep as the GH1, but it has improved since I bought them. They finally sound good with the Asgard and sounded great with the MAD Ear + HD. I say all that to ask a question, which is will the RS1e's progress like the PS1000e's? Both have the same driver, but voiced differently, right? Anyway, just a thought.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #191 of 290
I've been doing 24 hours on, 1-2ish hours off for a burn in on mine since Saturday afternoon, so I'm approaching 100 hours of burn in.  I will say they appeared to open up a lot between 50 and 75 hours, but are still improving with continued burn in.  Mostly, the harshness in the highs and even a bit of the mids has departed and left smoothness in it's place.  The detail retrieval is getting better with burn in as well.  What still leaves something to be desired is the bass.  My first impression of bass was that is was better than I expected, but it turns out it was more of just a track I hadn't listened to in a while as opposed to the cans.  When I started going through music I've heard dozens of times more recently, it has left a bit to be desired in my opinion, but then again, they are Grados, I knew what I was getting into.

I'm currently listening to the Beatles White Album and on Dear Prudence, the bass line is well defined and tight, it just doesn't have a ton of thump.  Anyway, just my impression approaching 100 hours on a set of tan headband RS1e's.

FWIW, I do enjoy the sound of these more with each passing day and don't plan on returning them.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #193 of 290
No sweat, man.

345XX, and I've got pics of the drivers on page 12.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #194 of 290
@Mumbles06. Are you listening with the big (G-cushion) Grado pads as you have shown in one picture on page 12. If so, that would explain some of the lack of bass you hear. The standard cushions that come with the RS1e, the L-cushion will give more bass.

Moving to G-cushion from L-cushion has the effect of lowering bass, highlighting treble a little, and increasing soundstage. I have not experienced this myself because I have no G-cushions. However I have read a hundred times in the Grado threads.

Anyway, I am sorry if you already knew this and I don't mean to speak out of turn. (Thinking ahead again if you chose the G-cushion for comfort; it is possible to wear the L-cushion perfectly comfortably. I wrote this thread about it. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754373/grado-l-cushion-comfort-for-sr225-ps500#post_11345196)

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #195 of 290
@GreenBow no I'm back to the L cush.  I haven't used the G-cush since about the 10 hour point on the burn in process, so maybe I need to revisit the G-cush.  I really liked the comfort of the G-cush and I was hoping for results similar to what I've read about on the GH1's.  Unfortunately, although the comfort improved, I felt like everything was less immediate and more distant, less detailed, and I feel like the upper mids/treble suffered the worst of it, I didn't really notice the bass taking a big hit, but it's been a while, so I would have to re-evaluate.  All in all, the L cushion just plain sounds better much to my chagrin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back