Grado RS1e matters (and impressions)
Feb 25, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #166 of 290
I guess I'll ask if anyone has tried the G-cush on the RS1 and if it has glorious results similar to the GH-1?

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #167 of 290
  I guess I'll ask if anyone has tried the G-cush on the RS1 and if it has glorious results similar to the GH-1?

If you really meant to say RS1, and not RS1e, I could give it a try for you. The RS1's bass isn't as deep as that of the GH-1, so I'm not very optomistic.

Just let me know.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #168 of 290
Quote:

The dealer wanted 65 bucks for the proprietary brackets, plus I had to order the cushions to attach on amazon (he was sold out of his foam ones) and the ones on amazon are pleather that I'm worried will darken the sound, so I got some G-cush for cheaper if I need them.  

I didn't care for the (G) cushions on any of my Grado except the PS1Kx (of course) and the
GH-1. I wouldn't bother with the vinyl pads, you'll kill the sound, I tried them on my 325is for about 30 seconds, then gave them to another member who had the same opinion about them. Its a shame to say the least what they do to the sound-signature of the Grados.

What are these "proprietary brackets your mentioning???

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #169 of 290
  I didn't care for the (G) cushions on any of my Grado except the PS1Kx (of course) and the
GH-1. I wouldn't bother with the vinyl pads, you'll kill the sound, I tried them on my 325is for about 30 seconds, then gave them to another member who had the same opinion about them. Its a shame to say the least what they do to the sound-signature of the Grados.

What are these "proprietary brackets your mentioning???

Since the pads are available through Amazon (in velour and pleather if I understood correctly) I wonder if the bracket is the plastic backing of an Brainwavz HM5 ear pad and the dealer rigged the RS1e to be fitted with it.  Or maybe the pads that fit the Shure headphones.  Very nifty...

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #170 of 290
The dealer I was using had some plastic brackets that attached on the wood housing and then he attached AKG 240 foam pads to them.  They really sounded pretty good, but when I told him I wanted the brown headband RS1e and not the demo pair he had he said he would sell me the brackets, but I had to get the pads on my own because he was out.  A quick search on Amazon and the only ones that I could find that didn't take 6-8 weeks shipping I ordered and they are very thick donut style and made of pleather, so I decided to not get the brackets instead of ruining the sound with pleather donuts.  

As far as the brackets themselves, I got the impression that they were his little concoction.  I guess "proprietary" is the wrong word, but I got the impression they aren't widely available. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #171 of 290
  The dealer I was using had some plastic brackets that attached on the wood housing and then he attached AKG 240 foam pads to them.  They really sounded pretty good, but when I told him I wanted the brown headband RS1e and not the demo pair he had he said he would sell me the brackets, but I had to get the pads on my own because he was out.  A quick search on Amazon and the only ones that I could find that didn't take 6-8 weeks shipping I ordered and they are very thick donut style and made of pleather, so I decided to not get the brackets instead of ruining the sound with pleather donuts.  

As far as the brackets themselves, I got the impression that they were his little concoction.  I guess "proprietary" is the wrong word, but I got the impression they aren't widely available. 

I like your dealer!  Sounds like he's a hard core modder
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #172 of 290

If you really meant to say RS1, and not RS1e, I could give it a try for you. The RS1's bass isn't as deep as that of the GH-1, so I'm not very optomistic.

Just let me know.

No, I meant to say the RS1e.  I'll hopefully get to try this weekend, if UPS plays well.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #173 of 290
Just got the email from my dealer that the wait is over and the cans are in.  So I'm in for a 4/5ish hour round trip drive tomorrow to pick em up.  Don't care, I'm pumped!

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #175 of 290
Hope you can post a pic of how the drivers are mounted.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #176 of 290
  Just got the email from my dealer that the wait is over and the cans are in.  So I'm in for a 4/5ish hour round trip drive tomorrow to pick em up.  Don't care, I'm pumped!

Been following this thread for a while and I look forward to hearing your impressions of the new RS1e. Not sure if you've had a chance to listen to an earlier "e" version to compare but I have a newer version as well (with tan leather headband with flush drivers) and more input on these the better.

Oh and Congrats!
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #177 of 290
Back from 300 miles round trip of driving with RS1e's in hand.  First impression are that the brown headband is nice and looks great with the cups.  These have had zero burn in so my initial impressions sonically are skewed.  I have them on a stand burning in right now with G-cush, but I will probably revert to the L-cush on these, but I'm getting ahead of my self.  My first impression while listening to A Perfect Circle's The Package was that the bass on these was significantly better than I was expecting.  When I switched over to G-cush after 2 songs to check comfort, I was impressed with the comfort, but not the sound.  I feel like the soundstage got smaller going to G-cush and the treble sounded less immediate and almost veiled.  I've got a lot of burn in and listening to do before I can say anything definitive, and then it's still only my impression.  I'm at 30 minutes of burn in while typing, so these things are still virgins. 

The question many will be asking is how are the drivers, are they recessed or protruding?  I've attached pics, but I'd say they are right where they should be, as close to flush as can be expected with hand assembled tolerances.  As far as serial numbers, mine is a 345XX.  And now without further ado, pics;

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #178 of 290
^ Very Nice ^

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #179 of 290
anyone can tell me what's difference in sound between RS1, RS1i and RS1e?
i'm a newbie in head-fi
Ps: forgive if my english is... terrible.I'm a starter in learning english

Thank all !

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #180 of 290
  anyone can tell me what's difference in sound between RS1, RS1i and RS1e?
i'm a newbie in head-fi
Ps: forgive if my english is... terrible.I'm a starter in learning english

Thank all !

All different generations...with the oldest ones being the RS1 and the newest are the RS1e. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back