Grado RS1e matters (and impressions)
Feb 5, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #122 of 290
My RS1e pictured above with the tan leather headband and flush drivers is 342xx.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #123 of 290

Yeah, i bought these hoping it would be the ones without the protruding drivers

I contacted Grado, and they basically told me to just return them, and by that i feel they finally admitted that there is a problem with these headphones. I also tried them on, and they are really uncomfortable,even by Grado standards 

In my opinion, the fact that Grado has revised the desing of the RS1e, means that your pair should be taken out of circulation.

That being said, knowing Grado, your ''old'' RS1e will probably end up being shipped right back to another unsuspecting customer.
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #125 of 290
Originally Posted by Spirulina780 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, i bought these hoping it would be the ones without the protruding drivers

I contacted Grado, and they basically told me to just return them, and by that i feel they finally admitted that there is a problem with these headphones. I also tried them on, and they are really uncomfortable,even by Grado standards 

Could you possibly amplify on that "basically"? -

Also, I'd like to agree with you that Grado "finally admitted...etc.", 
but IMO all they've admitted at this point was that there was some problem
with your particular set of headphones.  Obviously feel free to disagree. 
cool.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #126 of 290
Going back and forth between the RS1e and RS2e I find the refinement and smoother sound of the RS1e to be amazing with these guys.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #127 of 290

Could you possibly amplify on that "basically"? -

Also, I'd like to agree with you that Grado "finally admitted...etc.", 
but IMO all they've admitted at this point was that there was some problem
with your particular set of headphones.  Obviously feel free to disagree. 
cool.gif

I agree,

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #128 of 290
  Going back and forth between the RS1e and RS2e I find the refinement and smoother sound of the RS1e to be amazing with these guys.

How can you prefer the RS1e to the RS2e....I SAID, HOW CAN YOU PREFER THE RS1e TO THE RS2e?

Just kidding!
tongue.gif

This one is kind of subtle, so if any of you guys wants me to explain it, just ask.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #129 of 290

How can you prefer the RS1e to the RS2e....I SAID, HOW CAN YOU PREFER THE RS1e TO THE RS2e?

Just kidding!
tongue.gif

This one is kind of subtle, so if any of you guys wants me to explain it, just ask.
biggrin.gif

Thing is I would totally agree with you on the RS1e I first owned but there has been some series improvements since then. That being said the RS2e Rocks! but I can only take it an hour at a time where the RS1e I can ware all day long with it's warmer sound signature and sweet midrange.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #130 of 290

Thing is I would totally agree with you on the RS1e I first owned but there has been some series improvements since then. That being said the RS2e Rocks! but I can only take it an hour at a time where the RS1e I can ware all day long with it's warmer sound signature and sweet midrange.

Like I said, I was jusy kidding.

I've always thought of the RS1 and RS1i, as some, if not THE, most appreciated Grado model. It's too bad that the first batch of RS1e is so unpopular. That being said, Grado is lucky that there are people like you, because not only are you willing to give them a second chance by buying the ''improved'' RS1e, but you're also spreading the word on a public forum like Head-Fi.

In my opinion, it can take years of hard work to aquire a good reputation, that can be ruined in a matter of days, or even minutes.
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #131 of 290
@Amictus I was just thinking about RS1e. I mentioned once before maybe try reseating the drivers bedded further in. If I recall I think you said that was 'words to the effect' worrying and seemed a big job.

Well Grado must have a reasonably easy method for getting drivers out of the RS1e, when repairing. Plus normally people liberate drivers by warming the glue. I wonder if that would work and literally allow the drivers to be slid back. Then literally allowing them to cool, might re-set the drivers as re-glued.

Otherwise maybe ask Grado if they would look at doing it for you. It's got to be worth an email. It's possible the newer, better RS1e drivers are the same as the old RS1e driver. Yet seated differently, If that's the case, it has to be worth a thought. If Grado offer to look at them for you and the newer RS1e drivers are different, they might change them.

If you already did this or thought this, or this was already suggested and rejected, then sorry. I don't mean to nag or anything. Just really late, really tired, read this thread update, and in this state it seemed like an idea.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #132 of 290
@GreenBow Thanks for teaching me that you can use the @ sign to invoke/nudge someone in a post! Useful... Secondly, no I haven't contacted either Grado UK or Grado USA about this yet... I'm still thinking about that. It was a long time before I realized that I had been sold something substandard and, possibly, permanently defective.

[Edit] Switching to a laptop after struggling with the iOS reluctance to work with this site... there are also aspects of the sound which are worth having: briefly, the mids are the most vivid of my Grados, but there is little bass (although it has got better) and a screechy treble (which has also got better). The sound is also very two-dimensional compared both to the PS500 and the burning-in GH1. I am continuing to burn them in with the new GH1s to see if I can improve the sound further.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #133 of 290

Like I said, I was jusy kidding.

I've always thought of the RS1 and RS1i, as some, if not THE, most appreciated Grado model. It's too bad that the first batch of RS1e is so unpopular. That being said, Grado is lucky that there are people like you, because not only are you willing to give them a second chance by buying the ''improved'' RS1e, but you're also spreading the word on a public forum like Head-Fi.

In my opinion, it can take years of hard work to aquire a good reputation, that can be ruined in a matter of days, or even minutes.
frown.gif

I knew you were kidding.
beerchug.gif
 I owned the RS1i a few years ago and sold them to acquire the HD800, and as much as I love the Sennheiser for it's huge soundstage and incredible detail they still were missing something the RS1i had. So months later I read about the new "e" series and had to have the new RS1e, but my first pair didn't work out to well for me. I'm glad I gave them one more try and since Grado doesn't advertise and rely on word of mouth I felt obligated to give my thoughts. I have about 20 hours on them now and they do indeed continue to improve.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #134 of 290
  @GreenBow Thanks for teaching me that you can use the @ sign to invoke/nudge someone in a post! Useful... Secondly, no I haven't contacted either Grado UK or Grado USA about this yet... I'm still thinking about that. It was a long time before I realized that I had been sold something substandard and, possibly, permanently defective.

[Edit] Switching to a laptop after struggling with the iOS reluctance to work with this site... there are also aspects of the sound which are worth having: briefly, the mids are the most vivid of my Grados, but there is little bass (although it has got better) and a screechy treble (which has also got better). The sound is also very two-dimensional compared both to the PS500 and the burning-in GH1. I am continuing to burn them in with the new GH1s to see if I can improve the sound further.

Using @ didn't work for you this time. If you put @ then as you type the person's name, a blue box appears underneath. You have to click on the name in the blue box. (Keep typing more letters of the persons name if needed to narrow down the choice.)

I think if I were you I would be tempted to put the RS1e on a very gentle music source overnight. I know Grado say don't, however your RS1e have had lots of head time. I would think a gentle track with lots of dynamic shifts would be a plan. Like maybe plug them into a computer overnight. Then allow a single track to play on loop in Windows Media Player.

It's very surprising that you say the bass is still light. Considering I thought the bass was thick, heavy, and congested on them. I thought the highs were terribly rolled off. Anyway cool.

I am really chuffed you started this thread though, because I think it puts the RS1e back in the game. I love @Oracle's description of them being smoother than the RS2e. It will be good to hear others write impressions of the newer RS1e, as time goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back