Grado RS1 vs Audio Technica ATH-W5000
Jun 19, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #31 of 66
I tried (not long enough) but compare to flat i first see that i have to increase volume to have same volume i had with flat, and soundstage was a little less Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try reversed bowls, too.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #32 of 66
I love the contrast between the Grado and AT cases
3000smile.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 66
In my system the W5000 has better bass details and texture while the RS-1 has more bass impact and quantity.

I use the RS-1 with the Raptor and W5000 with the AT-HA5000. When the W5000 is driven by the Raptor it has more bass quantity than the AT-HA5000.

Overall the W5000 is more detailed than the RS-1. It also has a larger soundstage and better imaging. I consider the W5000 to be very source-sensitive, much more so than the RS-1.

The RS-1 sounds great with some types of music, such as fast-paced rock. Guitars are particularly good.

I think the W5000 is a step or two above the RS-1 in terms of sound quality and refinement, though there are times when the RS-1 is unbeatable for sheer fun and listening enjoyment.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #34 of 66
RS-1 is an acquired headphone for sure. I thought the mids weren't really anything deep or textured, rather the upper mids take over leaving the silky mids at a loss. Massive treble energy though. This is with the bowls, the flats could be a much different story.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my system the W5000 has better bass details and texture while the RS-1 has more bass impact and quantity.

I use the RS-1 with the Raptor and W5000 with the AT-HA5000. When the W5000 is driven by the Raptor it has more bass quantity than the AT-HA5000.

Overall the W5000 is more detailed than the RS-1. It also has a larger soundstage and better imaging. I consider the W5000 to be very source-sensitive, much more so than the RS-1.

The RS-1 sounds great with some types of music, such as fast-paced rock. Guitars are particularly good.

I think the W5000 is a step or two above the RS-1 in terms of sound quality and refinement, though there are times when the RS-1 is unbeatable for sheer fun and listening enjoyment.

Very well said. Same impression as mine. Just want to add the W5000 shines also with the WA6.

F. Lo

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #36 of 66
Glad to see my ears are working...I'm not getting totally blasted like I thought!

I will order the flats next time I buy something at Headroom and report back.

My Mapletree should be here in another month!

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take this with a grain of salt, because for every member who enjoys using flats with their RS-1's, there's someone who prefers bowls. I fall into the latter category, as I actually found the bass with flats to be quite boomy and unrealistic, while the highs were a bit rolled off. To me, the bowls tighten the bass but don't neccessarily lessen it, and I actually liked the increased treble detail although some find it fatiguing.

So flats are worth a try I suppose, but like I've said before, don't expect to have your initial impressions severely changed.

X2. The bowls sound "just right" with the Mapletree HD2 and the flats add more bass than necessary and sacrifices a bit of treble detail.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Nice summary, I also agree with your conclusions Elephas.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

I think the W5000 is a step or two above the RS-1 in terms of sound quality and refinement...

Here you go.
Nice summary, Elephas, although I would also mention superior build quality.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #40 of 66
I should have gotten into the build quality a little more.

The AT's certainly have better EVERYTHING when it comes to the physical product.

The case, cable, plug, wood siding, earpads, and headband are all clearly superior to the RS1.

As mentioned, my RS1's (and my 325i's) have a very ugly and scary "twist-crimp" at the cable "Y" that looks VERY unprofessional. Also, the leather is frayed on the RS1 headband...hardly a showpiece of craftsmanship.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have gotten into the build quality a little more.

The AT's certainly have better EVERYTHING when it comes to the physical product.

The case, cable, plug, wood siding, earpads, and headband are all clearly superior to the RS1.

As mentioned, my RS1's (and my 325i's) have a very ugly and scary "twist-crimp" at the cable "Y" that looks VERY unprofessional. Also, the leather is frayed on the RS1 headband...hardly a showpiece of craftsmanship.

biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...5&postcount=71

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #42 of 66
Andrew_WOT: That has to be one of the BEST photos of the W5000 I have seen. Outstanding!

Bootleg: Thanks for the great review! I also agree that the whole "presentation" of the W5000 is 1st Class. My first thought when I opened the package was, "Wow! Now these are true high end!" If only they had more robust bass...

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #43 of 66
You can't order flat pad from headroom, you can only order them here http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will order the flats next time I buy something at Headroom and report back.

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #44 of 66
Thanks for the review, definitely substantial enough to justify the price. The Norah Jones issue is definitely in the recording, I just heard it for myself through both HD650's and DT880's. Some sort of distortion somewhere along the line in the production process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back