Grado RS1 most versatile cans!
Dec 27, 2009 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I went from Senn. (HD650) to Denon (AH-D7000), back to HD800 (same journey with IEM: universals to customs).

And all the while, I kept trying the Grado's because of all the fuss on head fi but it just never sounded right to my ears. I never got it.

So recently, I took another shot and got the Grado RS1. I traded my UE11pro for someone's Grado RS1 (since I already had another custom: The JH13pro).

And I finally got what all the fuss was about. Got what the "on stage" experience was about. Got how a headphone can engage and involve the listener in a musical way that is so different than other cans.

Now I'm also realizing how incredibly versatile these cans can be. It's like having three different headphones in one, just with the changing of pads.
They become suited to whatever genre or mood you're in.

1. Stock bowls: great for rock and most everything else. It's in your face music that will get your head bopping. It's immediate and intense.

2. Flats: It quickly becomes a warm and bassy headphone. The midrange is very thick and warm. For music and times you just want more bass.

3. Jumbo GS1000/Bagle bowls: these are the times when you just don't want to be on stage and get sucked into the music but want more distance, no longer on stage but back further back. Like when you're reading or doing something that requires your attention. The midrange and bass is more distant because of increased distance from the driver but the treble becomes more airy and detailed. Because the soundstage/headstage increase dramatically, the details become more layered with more space between the instruments.

4. Then you got all the mods that tweak it this way or that way.
The tape mod for instance that adds bass to the bowls.

If you had to get one pair of headphone that can become so many other headphones, Grado's really are amazing.

I have other headphones, but if I had to keep one, I would keep the
Grado RS 1 with all the pads for diversity and versatility.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 21
I was just thinking something along the same lines with my MS-PRO. Although I haven't had the chance to try flats yet, can't justify TTVJ's shipping prices....
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 21
You've nailed. I have RS-1s and think they're great. You've not only nailed the appeal of the Grado presentation but you've gotten at why Grado lovers just love to tweak their Grados. Well done!

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeubow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my RS1i pads

%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4%E5%A4%A7%E5%B0%8FGrado%20RS1i%20013.jpg

%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4%E5%A4%A7%E5%B0%8FGrado%20RS1i%20012.jpg

%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4%E5%A4%A7%E5%B0%8FGrado%20RS1i%20017.jpg

%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4%E5%A4%A7%E5%B0%8FGrado%20RS1i%20015.jpg

%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4%E5%A4%A7%E5%B0%8FGrado%20RS1i%20018.jpg

Very nice. Yours must sound very much like if you had on the
G-cushions/jumbo bowls/bagles. Very large soundstage and layers of detail.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went from Senn. (HD650) to Denon (AH-D7000), back to HD800 (same journey with IEM: universals to customs).

And all the while, I kept trying the Grado's because of all the fuss on head fi but it just never sounded right to my ears. I never got it.

So recently, I took another shot and got the Grado RS1. I traded my UE11pro for someone's Grado RS1 (since I already had another custom: The JH13pro).

And I finally got what all the fuss was about. Got what the "on stage" experience was about. Got how a headphone can engage and involve the listener in a musical way that is so different than other cans.

Now I'm also realizing how incredibly versatile these cans can be. It's like having three different headphones in one, just with the changing of pads.
They become suited to whatever genre or mood you're in.

1. Stock bowls: great for rock and most everything else. It's in your face music that will get your head bopping. It's immediate and intense.

2. Flats: It quickly becomes a warm and bassy headphone. The midrange is very thick and warm. For music and times you just want more bass.

3. Jumbo GS1000/Bagle bowls: these are the times when you just don't want to be on stage and get sucked into the music but want more distance, no longer on stage but back further back. Like when you're reading or doing something that requires your attention. The midrange and bass is more distant because of increased distance from the driver but the treble becomes more airy and detailed. Because the soundstage/headstage increase dramatically, the details become more layered with more space between the instruments.

4. Then you got all the mods that tweak it this way or that way.
The tape mod for instance that adds bass to the bowls.

If you had to get one pair of headphone that can become so many other headphones, Grado's really are amazing.

I have other headphones, but if I had to keep one, I would keep the
Grado RS 1 with all the pads for diversity and versatility.

I totally agree with your comments (except in many situations I prefer the D7000s), but my RS1s are keepers for a long, long time. They are the best cans for rock and great with many other genres. IMO, they are the class of the Grado lineup. I've heard the GS1000 and just recently PS1000 and while they are very nice, they don't have that same Grado excitement I get when I listen to Zeppelin or Sabbath.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the welcome to Grado Team.
Also about the AH-D7000. I took along time to figure out that what I really love are mids. And I felt the denons, even the AH-D7000 mids were too recessed for me.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice. Yours must sound very much like if you had on the G-cushions/jumbo bowls/bagles. Very large soundstage and layers of detail.

I think this arrangement is better than the G-Cush bowls for a couple of reasons. First, the aperture is wider and more open than the bowls which start narrowly at the grill and gradually funnel outward. Second, I'd be willing to bet that the ear/driver distance is actually slightly less than with the bowls. Finally, the hard backing provides a radiator for communicating bass, one that provides some of the benefits of closed-back phones but without getting in the way of a crystalline HF. The highly directional HF is unobstructed in the center (and fans out freely) but the multidirectional LF is allowed greater extension.

Jeubow, you have to tell us: Do these disks of yours provide a crystal-clear high-end while providing great bass?

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeubow, you have to tell us: Do these disks of yours provide a crystal-clear high-end while providing great bass?

Yes, I agree that my new earpads really provide great bass. But a crystal-clear high-end......
xd.gif
, I think it is up to personal appetite. Above all, it is not a genuine grado due to the new pads. In my case, I don't how to describe my ardor to this pair of pads.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just thinking something along the same lines with my MS-PRO. Although I haven't had the chance to try flats yet, can't justify TTVJ's shipping prices....
frown.gif

I would love to try the flats aswell but just like yourself that shipping price is steap

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this arrangement is better than the G-Cush bowls for a couple of reasons. First, the aperture is wider and more open than the bowls which start narrowly at the grill and gradually funnel outward. Second, I'd be willing to bet that the ear/driver distance is actually slightly less than with the bowls. Finally, the hard backing provides a radiator for communicating bass, one that provides some of the benefits of closed-back phones but without getting in the way of a crystalline HF. The highly directional HF is unobstructed in the center (and fans out freely) but the multidirectional LF is allowed greater extension.

I didn't think about that. Amazing how size and shape even the smallest degree can change/effect/impact the sound so much.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 21
The RS-1 is the headphone I have had the longest since I joined Head Fi 4+ years ago. It is very well balanced to my ears out of a good tube amp, and to me it does my favorite genres (jazz and classical) very well. I do not see me selling them anytime soon.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 21
yes,I also love my RS1 to death. my best can so far. and they are all good...the senn,the denon,but grado has a very special sound and IMO they are the most unique. i never tries them with anything except bowls pads,so I may try the flats sometime.
with my earmax pro tube amp,the RS1 is really breathtaking. with the grado you can get the most magical tube sound from all other cans,because the farward mids and treble let you hear all that magic. the distortion of guitars and vocals are breathtaking.
the next step is the PS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back