Grado RS1 most versatile cans!
Dec 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 21
I've got a lot of headphones (as many of you know), but have never been able to bring myself to the point of buying a pair of RS-1's. I've come very close a couple times, but mostly because of seeing bargain deals at Audiogon where I could grab a near mint pair for $400 or less. That way, I figure I couldn't go wrong and could at least give them a shot without much, if anything, to lose.

I've got the 325i, HF1, HF2, PS1, GS1000 and HP2, and have been thinking about the PS1000. So why no RS-1 then? I've tried them at least a half dozen times at various Head-Fi meets over the years, in both single ended and balanced rigs and with all sorts of music from classical to jazz to bass heavy blues to female vocals to classic rock and everything in between. But nothing seems to be able to tame their shrill (to my ears) highs. (This same problem is evident in the 325i as well, so they don't usually get much head time, but at least they're gold -- and that's good, I think.)

I think I had a bad (really bad) first experience with them at a NY meet hosted at Grado Labs (oddly enough) back in 2003, and perhaps I've been predisposed to expect to hear shrill highs ever since -- so I always do. But that particular (very high end, but can't remember the source and amp) setup was just shocking awful with the RS-1, especially with the high pitched female vocals that they were playing.

So maybe I have an RS-1 phobia that I need to get over? Yet, it's not like I've completely discounted them. I've tried and tried under meet conditions, but that's not the same as owning a pair and putting them through the paces with changes from bowl to flat to soup bowl pads!

For years, I've read far too many extremely positive impressions and reviews from dozens of Head-Fi'ers who know what they're talking about for there not to be something special about the RS-1's. So it really is frustrating that I haven't managed to discover that magic for myself.

Ah, but one day... maybe.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 21
I had RS-1 for few months, did not like them with my Woo Amp, Dear MP5, and my computer. Maybe I did not have the right amp or it was the can I had......
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a lot of headphones (as many of you know), but have never been able to bring myself to the point of buying a pair of RS-1's. I've come very close a couple times, but mostly because of seeing bargain deals at Audiogon where I could grab a near mint pair for $400 or less. That way, I figure I couldn't go wrong and could at least give them a shot without much, if anything, to lose.

I've got the 325i, HF1, HF2, PS1, GS1000 and HP2, and have been thinking about the PS1000. So why no RS-1 then? I've tried them at least a half dozen times at various Head-Fi meets over the years, in both single ended and balanced rigs and with all sorts of music from classical to jazz to bass heavy blues to female vocals to classic rock and everything in between. But nothing seems to be able to tame their shrill (to my ears) highs. (This same problem is evident in the 325i as well, so they don't usually get much head time, but at least they're gold -- and that's good, I think.)

I think I had a bad (really bad) first experience with them at a NY meet hosted at Grado Labs (oddly enough) back in 2003, and perhaps I've been predisposed to expect to hear shrill highs ever since -- so I always do. But that particular (very high end, but can't remember the source and amp) setup was just shocking awful with the RS-1, especially with the high pitched female vocals that they were playing.

So maybe I have an RS-1 phobia that I need to get over? Yet, it's not like I've completely discounted them. I've tried and tried under meet conditions, but that's not the same as owning a pair and putting them through the paces with changes from bowl to flat to soup bowl pads!

For years, I've read far too many extremely positive impressions and reviews from dozens of Head-Fi'ers who know what they're talking about for there not to be something special about the RS-1's. So it really is frustrating that I haven't managed to discover that magic for myself.

Ah, but one day... maybe.

yes,they do have shrill highs. but I always thought that the lower models (325 225 etc) is more bright than the RS1. anyway,with a super warm and creamy tube amp they are a dream. I agree that from a SS amp they sound too shrill and harsh, its like they were ment to be used with tubes.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes,they do have shrill highs. but I always thought that the lower models (325 225 etc) is more bright than the RS1. anyway,with a super warm and creamy tube amp they are a dream. I agree that from a SS amp they sound too shrill and harsh, its like they were ment to be used with tubes.

At Head-fi meets, I've heard them with all sorts of amps, both tube and SS -- but still haven't heard the magic.

At home, I'm pretty much a tube guy through and through, so if ever I bought a pair and brought them into the headphone lounge, I'd have several nice tube amps to throw at them!

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

At Head-fi meets, I've heard them with all sorts of amps, both tube and SS -- but still haven't heard the magic.

At home, I'm pretty much a tube guy through and through, so if ever I bought a pair and brought them into the headphone lounge, I'd have several nice tube amps to throw at them!

Grados are like single-malt scotch. Some love it, but if you don't, no matter how much you try and "acquire" a taste for it, you'll never really like it.

I used to think my RS1 and GS1K sounded best out of a PS Audio headamp (over Raptor, MPX2, EC/01, ZD) but now that I've been listening to my GS1K's out of an ZD (sold GCHA a while back), I'm wondering if my crack habit didn't taint my judgment back then.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Of all amps I've tried, my favourite with the RS1s (by far) is the Mapletree Ear+HD tube amp. It has the best synergy with them. I too find the SR325s way to shrill (even on this amp), but the RS1s are very refined and I would recommend it for you to try the RS1s.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back