Grado RS-2i's OR Senn HD600's
Dec 1, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oddity

100+ Head-Fier
With xmas coming just around the corner, and my SR-125i's all broken in, I figured it was time to try and weasel myself a headphone upgrade.

So which one would you pick, and why:

Sennheiser HD600

-OR-

Grado RS-2i

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 15
Both are excellent choices. It really depends on the kind of music you listen to. Could you tell us a bit about your listening habits? In general, the Sennheisers have an edge in classical, and the Grados have an edge in rock, but they can sound quite similar in the right system and it's really down to personal taste.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 15
I would try to audition both before making a decision. Especially the 600 since they are so different from your SR125.
If it was me I would be tempted to try the Senn600 for a bigger change.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 15
If you have the intention and funds to invest in source , cable, amp and replacement cable, I recommend the hd600.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the intention and funds to invest in source , cable, amp and replacement cable, I recommend the hd600.

I agree 100%,except the replacement cable.The replacement cable,in my opinion,is not so important for the sound quality,amp and source make the biggest differences with the hd 600.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 15
I have both, well almost; SR-325is & Senn 600. Senns are nice for classical & vocals, especially female. Grados' are better for rock. I've lately put the thin flat cushions on the Grados, which really brings out the bass. Senns are more comfortable for long use.
My $.02.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 15
I listen to pretty much everything, but for the most part I listen to rock and electronic music.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100%,except the replacement cable.The replacement cable,in my opinion,is not so important for the sound quality,amp and source make the biggest differences with the hd 600.

As it all does with the RS2's. Speaking Grados are inferior for classical to Sennheiser... show me a better 'phone for classical than Grado GS1000(i).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oddity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to pretty much everything, but for the most part I listen to rock and electronic music.

Go Grado.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oddity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It doesn't really matter what you listen to, it matters more how you want music portrayed. So since you already have a grado, tell us what you like/dislike about them. Otherwise you'll just hear people's favorites, which is totally useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back