Grado RS-2 or Senn HD 600
Dec 9, 2006 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I am listening to my Grado SR-60 and I'm really enjoying them. I'm not trying to simulate a rock concert tonight so I'm not cranking them to the point of distortion. Of course I might add - these 60's aren't really even broken in. I have them amped with my TBH by the way.

I've tried the Senn 555 and 595 but ended up selling them because they really bored me. Now hind sight being 20/20, I never gave either one a chance to burn in, etc.

Recently I also just sold the SR-225 and SR-325i because they didn't do THAT much more for me than these SR-60's have. BUT - I do like the Grado sound the best so far.

With what I've said above - can anyone give me some insight as to which headphone I might try; The RS-2 or HD 600.

Worth mentioning, I can also power either headphone with my MicroAMP and am planning on a WooAudio3 in the near future.

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 28
You sound like a Grado guy, so go Grado! But if you want to try the HD600, you can save some money and get the HD580s instead (they're $130 now). They sound almost identical to the 600 (same driver, just different grills). MicroAmp goes well with Sennheiser.

I'm assuming you are more into harder rock? If so, you might be more into Beyer if you want to try something else......the 580s are best for accoustic, jazz, electronic, and classical IMO

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 28
I believe, your plan of buying the WooAudio3 limits your selection of the two mentioned HPs to the HD-600 as the Grados will not be driven well by the WA3; In fact that is why the WA6 is made with the low output switchable feature.

Pleanty of specific posts here by way of the search function WA3 & WA6!

Good luck~

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 28
yeah, 80's pop would sound better on Grado....more transparent and....well, poppy! But if you want something bluesy and soulful, then the 580s are calling! I'm a Sennheiser person myself, getting into Grado. Depends on your musical tastes, but I think it's nice to have a set of Grados and a set of Senns if you have a varied music collection. It's kinda fun to try to find a music genre that you like the headphone for.

Beyers are just another exciting can like Grado. They can have the same brightness, just some added bass (the DT770s expecially....DT880s are supposed to be more refined/reserved, DT990s somewhere inbetween).

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 28
Try the RS2's. There is a for sale section if you change your mind.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe, your plan of buying the WooAudio3 limits your selection of the two mentioned HPs to the HD-600 as the Grados will not be driven well by the WA3; In fact that is why the WA6 is made with the low output switchable feature.

Pleanty of specific posts here by way of the search function WA3 & WA6!

Good luck~

The Grados will not be driven well by the WooAudio? How come? I figure a full blown tube amp would have plentry of power - much more power than a TBH or MicroAmp right? Or do the Grados not respond well to that tube sound?

Tube amps are new to me and I am considering one because I kind of though it might bring the Grados alive with more impact and an all around better listening experience - warmer is the word here?

To be up front on this topic, I just haven't been thrilled with full size cans compared to my IEM's. I've never had an eargasm with full sized cans. But..... I want to be able to enjoy full size cans like I do my IEM's.
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I am listening to my Grado SR-60 and I'm really enjoying them. I'm not trying to simulate a rock concert tonight so I'm not cranking them to the point of distortion. Of course I might add - these 60's aren't really even broken in. I have them amped with my TBH by the way.

I've tried the Senn 555 and 595 but ended up selling them because they really bored me. Now hind sight being 20/20, I never gave either one a chance to burn in, etc.

Recently I also just sold the SR-225 and SR-325i because they didn't do THAT much more for me than these SR-60's have. BUT - I do like the Grado sound the best so far.

With what I've said above - can anyone give me some insight as to which headphone I might try; The RS-2 or HD 600.

Worth mentioning, I can also power either headphone with my MicroAMP and am planning on a WooAudio3 in the near future.

If you are a Grado guy, you will most likly find the 600's to be too dark & boring.. Not a 'fun' can..

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grados will not be driven well by the WooAudio? How come? I figure a full blown tube amp would have plentry of power - much more power than a TBH or MicroAmp right? Or do the Grados not respond well to that tube sound?

Tube amps are new to me and I am considering one because I kind of though it might bring the Grados alive with more impact and an all around better listening experience - warmer is the word here?

To be up front on this topic, I just haven't been thrilled with full size cans compared to my IEM's. I've never had an eargasm with full sized cans. But..... I want to be able to enjoy full size cans like I do my IEM's.
confused.gif

The Grados are very sensitive cans (32 OHMS).. You might experience hissing with the Woo amp.. GRADO's mate well with tube amps from what I hear, but some tube amps like the Cayin are very powerful, enough to drive the 1000 fairly well, & good from others on this board..

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, 80's pop would sound better on Grado....more transparent and....well, poppy! But if you want something bluesy and soulful, then the 580s are calling! I'm a Sennheiser person myself, getting into Grado. Depends on your musical tastes, but I think it's nice to have a set of Grados and a set of Senns if you have a varied music collection. It's kinda fun to try to find a music genre that you like the headphone for.

Beyers are just another exciting can like Grado. They can have the same brightness, just some added bass (the DT770s expecially....DT880s are supposed to be more refined/reserved, DT990s somewhere inbetween).

Yeah, I'll probally get the 325i to experience the GRADO sound.. Should go very well with action movies due to the cans brightness & presentation.. my 650's are best with non action movies.. They are so warm & laid back, they relax me too much..

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grados are very sensitive cans (32 OHMS).. You might experience hissing with the Woo amp.. GRADO's mate well with tube amps from what I hear, but some tube amps like the Cayin are very powerful, enough to drive the 1000 fairly well, & good from others on this board..

Can you or anyone recommend a tube headphone amp that has synergy with the RS-2 and is under $600.00 - or should I stay with solid state for the RS-2?

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 28
Singlepower PPX SLAM. Just got one for my RS-2's. Best amp I've heard with them yet. I've had 2 M^3's(still have one), a Millett Hybrid, an RSA HR-2 (outstanding with them if you go solid state), and a Woo Audio 3. The problem with the Woo wasn't hissing, it didn't hiss at all with Grado's. It's designed for higher impedance cans, and I believe the ouput impedance of the tubes is generally too high for lower impedance headphones, or something to that effect. It just didn't sound right, great for HD650's,though. There is a recently released Woo Audio 6, that has the same chassis as the 3, and is designed with lower impedance cans in mind.

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Woo's amps and want a Grado, just go with a WA6. It's not that much more than the WA3.

Exactly, however there has been some discusion on the W6 thread of less than stellar preformance vs the W3 due to the transformer introduced in the W6 making it then not OTL as is the case with the W3...
They both have 30 day return policys and are regarded on these boards by others as being very easy to deal with and their product line giving even the Singlepowers compition as to which has the better sonic presentation with the correct tube configuration and listening preferances presupposed.

At this level it is not so much which is objectively best, but the configuration of the systems synergy & specific can, and a listeners personal preferance as well as material listened to.

Good luck~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back