Grado RS-1 reveals bad source more than custom IEM?
Jun 9, 2007 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
I have about 10 hours on my new Grado RS-1 and I must say that they are definitely revealing - anything in my collection under 320kbps and it sounds like crap. I've tried the grado's with the LD MicroTube and MicroStack. I like the Microstack better.

I have the UE-5c also and being more efficient I would have thought they would be more revealing at bad sources but it's definitely more present with the grado's.

I guess it's time to start thinking SACD and give up the convienence of mp3 files on a computer...

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 10
Funny, that's a little like what happened to me. I had most of my collection ripped and was using computer-as-source, then got seduced by SACD. If you're interested in the format, check out the inexpensive Sony player- I think that's the SCD-CE595. I got a refurb for about $80 and it's good enough to hear a difference. You might also want to check out vinyl. It goes very well with Grado; I suspect that John is a vinylphile.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Could be, since I had my HD650's I find anything under 192kbps utter crap and anything between 192kbps and 256kbps doable but not as it should be. Also, mp3 isn't really the best format. IMO the best format that doesn't use enormous space such as lossless ones do is OGG vorbis. MP3's tend to have a slight distortion when reaching certain highs or lows which ogg does not have.

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Efficiency doesn't have much to do with resolution. To use a rather absurd example, iPod earbuds are more efficient than my RS-1, yet the latter will be far more revealing of problems in the reproduction chain.

Thing is the RS-1 is one of the most highly resolving headphones around; though it can sound pretty good on lower-end equipment, it'll still tell you what's wrong and what needs improving.

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Yep, what Roam said. The RS-1 can pick up pretty much any garbage downstream. If its there, it can find it. The RS-1 really needs a decent source and matching it with a good amp helps alot too.

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I suspect that John is a vinylphile

Well, Grado is mainly a cartridge producer, headphones are their by-products
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 10
my ER4s reveal the differences in highest bitrates of VBR WMAs (over 400Kb/s) & CBR MP3 (320Kb/s). CBR MP3 (320Kb/s) wins handily.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my ER4s reveal the differences in highest bitrates of VBR WMAs (over 400Kb/s) & CBR MP3 (320Kb/s). CBR MP3 (320Kb/s) wins handily.

That my man is something i hardly believe.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, what Roam said. The RS-1 can pick up pretty much any garbage downstream. If its there, it can find it. The RS-1 really needs a decent source and matching it with a good amp helps alot too.

x2... The RS1 does not like MP3 formats. The RS1 needs a smooth source and a balanced or bassy amp that does not accentuate the highs. Thats kind of why I keep the SR60 handy. There are times I just want to plug in and enjoy the laptop tunes.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That my man is something i hardly believe.

Any music with wide dynamic range with significant soft areas will reveal the problems with VBR WMAs, even at the highest bitrate. These WMAs have poor low level linearity & lots of added noise not present in the high bitrate MP3s or the original CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back