Grado RS-1 or Grado GS1000
Jun 26, 2007 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

OG10

100+ Head-Fier
I have been lurking for a while, drooling over all of your headphone equipment and wondering when I can join in with the fun. So I have a shopping list of things that I want to go through with you guys before committing large quantities of cash. First of all the first thing I am going to do is buy a DAC, and I wanted to know whether any of you have had any experience with moodlab stuff? Moodlab DiCE this looks pretty tasty and I really like the review of it in TNT audio. If this is really a cheapo product then what else is worth considering? I have optical out on my asus motherboard and want a decent DAC. Is it worth going the external DAC route or just getting an M-Audio PCI? I am not sure what your experiences are either way I’d love to get an opinion.

Secondly, and more importantly I want to invest in a pair of Grado headphones. I know there is a price difference between the Grado RS-1 and GS100, but I’ll work a bit harder to see if I can get the GS1000 if its that much better. Furthermore, I know that amplification is a pre-requisite so I am pretty sure my Pro-Ject headbox SE will not be enough. What others pair up nice with the GS100/RS-1 at around £200-300? I am in the UK so please bear in mind when you recommend things as many things are not available in the UK that you guys in the USA take for granted. I ask about the RS-1 / GS1000 thing as the 6moons review tends to suggest that the RS-1 has certain characteristics which are better than the GS-1000. For reference I have the sennheiser HD600 at the moment.

Thanks chaps.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 65
From what I understand, this very much depends on your music preferences. Many people who listen to mostly Rock will always say they like the RS-1 better than the other. I'm not sure exactly what genres the GS1000 is for (everything else, perhaps).

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 65
Well, hard to say. To answer the need or not need external DAC issue, i have to say that after a short while i changed a much better than M-audio pci soundcard for an external DAC, and the differences are there and really make alot of difference.
As for the headphone/amp option it would 2 options depending on your budget.
First would be RS1 that would match perfectly many amps at your budget, and second would be the GS1000 who would require an expensive amp like Grace m902 to really shine.... Well for examples of amps, maybe you could tell us what amps could be found at your budget in the UK?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, this very much depends on your music preferences. Many people who listen to mostly Rock will always say they like the RS-1 better than the other. I'm not sure exactly what genres the GS1000 is for (everything else, perhaps).

This is my understanding as well. But if you go the way of the GS, you'll need an excellent source make it worth the while. The RS-1 on the other hand can make lesser sources still sound great.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 65
try a graham slee amp or a Meier amp. DAC is important. Overall, RS-1 is a 'no-brainer'. It's hard for it to sound bad. Once you get into the GS 1000, you are in high-end territory and have to realize that you need a very refined system to do them right. I have never heard a more accurate, precise, magical sound than the GS, but I had to use a higher end DAC and HP amp. The GS is highly sensitive to input but with the proper input will blow away the RS.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 65
At this point, I'd go with the RS-1. As your system grows down the road the GS-1000 would be an option.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The GS-1000 sounds amazing with Jazz. Based on what i've read ...

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1000 sounds amazing with Jazz. Based on what i've read ...

I listened to some jazz last night and concur. Jazz & classical are perfect for GS-1000, but that doesn't mean that rock isn't good as well.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to some jazz last night and concur. Jazz & classical are perfect for GS-1000, but that doesn't mean that rock isn't good as well.

X2

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 65
Hi. I can finally help you on this. If you've got the cash for a GS-1000 or an RS-1, then I strongly suggest you try and get an HP-1 or HP-2 instead. FYI, the HP-2 is the same as the HP-1, just without polarity switches.

I recently got a chance to listen to the RS-2, RS-1, GS1000, PS-1 and HP-1 at a meet. Hands down, the HP-1 was by far one of the best headphones I had ever heard. Period. I did not get enough time listening to decide, but I may even prefer it over the K1000. It just sounded, so, err, perfect.

My next favorite grado was the GS1000, followed by the PS-1.

IMO, the RS-1 and RS-2 did not even compare to the three grados I mentioned above (almost to the extent of sounding bad). Although I admit I only heard them at the meet with bowls. I heard the HP-1 and PS-1 with flats, and the GS1000 with salad bowls.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 65
Soundwise, the HP-1000 IMHO is the best sounding Grado. However, I found the GS-1000 to be much more comfortable. This coming from someone who over nearly a years time has had a pair of Grados as my main cans... bowls are uncomfortable as hell. I finally just couldn't take it, and shed myself of them, even though I loved the sound. If I ever get another Grado, it will be a GS-1000. Its the only one I can tolerate.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 65
Funny, out of the GS1000, PS1 and HP1, the only one I found uncomfortable was the GS1000. The HP-1 and PS-1 are heavy, yes. But they both have soft leather headbands that can be even more improved with beyer headband covers or simply replacement headbands.

The GS-1000, on the other hand, made my ears feel scratchy and overall not good... not sure why. I guess it all has to do with the shape and size of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back