Grado right channel not working
Oct 8, 2004 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bln

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got a pair of SR-60 in the mail. The right channel isn't completely silent, but it's way below the level of the left channel. I'm searching but would appreciate a quick reply on how to fix, if possible. If not, who do I contact - Grado, or eBay seller? They were purchased new.

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 18
technically an ebay seller is not a licensed grado distributor, even if they hold themselves out to be such, according to the grado website. therefore, it may not be under warranty since there is no guarantee that it was sold to you in new condition direct from grado, with the store being a licensed distributor. the best thing to do is then try to get your money back from the ebay store (probably not likely) or just pay the extra cash out of warranty and ship it to grado labs to have them put matching drivers in there for you - which might get pricey. sorry to hear about the bum ebay sale, bln.

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 18
There's a "guarantee registration" card in the box. That doesn't entitle me to a Grado return?

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
There's a "guarantee registration" card in the box. That doesn't entitle me to a Grado return?

Unfortunately I don't think so - read the blurb on this page:

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 18
I e-mailed the eBay seller. If it's not free, I can always pay for Grado to fix them, I guess.

But can someone troubleshoot them, please? Any advice on how to attempt my own fix?

Oct 8, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Has no one else ever opened Grados to fix a channel imbalance?

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 18
I must just be diseased or something. No one ever replies to my threads. And I've searched for at least 45 minutes. All I find is people saying "Um, make sure it's not your amp." Why anyone finds this place remotely helpful is beyond me.

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 18
here's a last ditch effort:

the driver has a diaphragm which MAY have been folded and thus be producing distorted or lower levels of sound.

I recommend against poking in

I recommend sucking air in through the driver in both ways. Once you do this you'll realize it requires very little suction and the diaphragm will move (only in one direction). Next you blow in.

The intent is to straighten the diaphragm IF it was folded in the first place.

ALSO:
make sure this is not a problem with the plug. If it does not achieve proper contact, it could sound like you described.

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 18
my grados have a similar problem. it'll sound very low on the right channel when the right cable isn't in a certain position. I'm guessing too much sliding of the cable(which slides really easily in and out of the driver casing) caused it to become loose. i dunno the fix for it

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 18
I'd send yours back if I were you. Looks like I'll have to as well.

Oct 9, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 18
Sounds like the cable at the driver to me. I would guess that the positive is touching the metal lip on the magnet cover. You can look in there with a light and see if you can tell. Regardless if you take them apart, you'll need to hot glue them back together. It's possible that it could be the driver too, or anywhere else in the cable/plug. I've seen where the cable was pulled too hard and the insulation is pulled away from the connections to the drivers and they touch. I've also seen stuck drivers that exhibit the same low volume. While a vacuum will work in a pinch for this, it's more of a last resort fix.

I'm sure Grado would fix them for free if you have your story right...

Oct 9, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Has no one else ever opened Grados to fix a channel imbalance?

It's been done, and a search here and at headwize will show you how. However, the drivers are glued in. If you've got a warranty, trying this will end that once and for all. And if it's a bad driver, you're going to have to buy a driver from Grado anyway, so you might as well let them fix it, particularly if they'll do it free.

You're best bet is a replacement from the seller. Second best bet is to get Grado to fix it. Self-repair is a distant third in this case.

Oct 9, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 18
I emailed the seller and Grado. The seller responded with a simple "I will replace it," so I guess I'll be mailing the headphones back on Monday. No reply from Grado yet.

Oct 22, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 18
I got a cheap pair of headphones that did this. Not that grados are cheap, they are great headphones.

When i use the balance control to put the music just on the defective driver i hear no bass. All i hear is a midrange treble sound. I took the driver out and inspected it and i found that the driver is blown.

Here is what i gather that happened. The person before me drove the driver beyond what it could handle (bass probobly) the diaphram extended past what it could handle, the coil heated up and the coil shifted. When the coil shifted it was no longer strait up and down with the magnet and it gets hung up inside the channel the coil rides in. The speaker will still work but it doesnt function properly and could eventuly short and this could blow the amp.

It was a very interesting thing that happened because i never seen it happen before.

The coil is thin strands of wire with epoxy shielding it from the rest of the winds. The epoxy is what holds the shape of the coil, when the epoxy heats up from to much current (to loud, to much bass) the epoxy melts and it lets the coil shift or melt in half.

Anotherthing that could of happened is a few of the coils could have melted together changing the impedance of the defective driver and changing the value of it? that could change the output level maybe?
confused.gif
This is what happened to mine though. I can see threw the diaphram of the driver and see the coul is tilted and dragging in the magnet channel

If this is wrong some one correct me, this is my opinion how it works or why it may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back