Grado Recommendation
Jun 12, 2008 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ToneDeath

Head-Fier
Anyone listening to Jazz, Jazz Fusion with Grado or Alessandro headphones? My favorite artist is Stanley Clarke and RTF one of my favorite groups. I've heard Grados work well with string instruments. Just about anything will probably be an upgrade as I'm listening with an old pair of Sennheiser HD540 Reference and Koss UR 40's. I’ve also been thinking about a Mapletree Tube amp to warm things up as well. The models I was considering are GS1000, RS1, MS Pro. Any recommendations?

TD

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 12
Way out of my league!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 12
Well don't get the GS1000 if you are trying to "warm things up a bit" as you say. the GS1000 takes the RS1 and throws it into the coldest icy blizzard with big frozen icicles that fall from the sky and jab you in the ears
tongue.gif

I've never heard the ms-pro, but it really depends on your tastes for the GS1000. The few people who like them, really really love them, but many prefer RS1. I would suggest starting with a used RS1, adn then you can always sell it here and move on up if you want more

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 12
After a break-in period, I think you'll be highly impressed with the RS-1. If want to truly appreciate the RS-1 and have money to burn, then work your way up the chain starting with the SR-60.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what the heck are those frankengrados in your sig?

A mix of 225 drivers + 325 earcups + Canare Starquad cable + neutrik connectors + dampening material on the drivers = Grado bliss (IMO).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 12
MS Pro is great for jazz and fits more styles of music than Grados. I used to keep it for a week though didn't get enough dollar to keep it. I love my current MS2i too, although a bit less detailed and narrower sound stage, more than sufficient for Jazz

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Of those three, the only one I've heard is the RS-1. But I'm just crazy about it. And I've been crazy about it for two years, next month. I was about to bite on the GS-1000 when it was released and started reading everything I could about it. As I did that, more and more turned up that seemed to say that the RS-1 was better for me. So I bit and ordered one.

Took about 10 seconds to fall in love with it. I kept putting on more and more music and I couldn't believe how good it was.

Can't say for sure that it's the one for you, but it's a terrific headphone and I'm not the only one around here who loves it. They're wonderful with tubes, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back