Grado rattle 'grattle' sr125i help!
May 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dewd

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I've heard about the famous "grattle" that seems to happen to a lot of Grado headphones. I've read that it's normally just hair inside the headphones but my hair isn't that long and I don't seem to hear any debris inside of them.  There is rattling in both ears and it's driving me crazy!  People have mentioned a "wrinkle" in the diaphragm and I think that might be it but I can't seem to reach the diaphragm as easily with this particular model.  I read you have to use some duct tape to align the diaphragm  or something and then use a hair dryer to fix the crease.  The problem I think is the white see-trough paper thing with the holes that I'm not sure can be removed but I'm guessing is where the diaphragm is.  If there is a way to reach the diaphragm with this model that won't put my poor earphones at risk I would be more than happy to hear it!  If there's another way to fix this problem  that would be welcomed as well.  I'd rather try to fix this myself because I don't think I want to send it in and wait 3 months to listen to my music again :frowning2: .  I'm relatively new to this so if you can dumb it down a little for me :D. Thanks in advanced! 

May 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 5
Usually grattle is hair between the earpad and white cloth diaphragm cover that just vibrates at it's harmonic when the headphone plays that note (loud constant bass notes do this best usually)

Anything else isn't technically grattle, but that's not really the point. 
If the driver is wrinkled, you'll need to carefully remove that white fabric driver cover and inspect the drivers through the plastic holes. You may need a torch to see more clearly.
If there are driver wrinkles, you don't necessarily need to use a hair dryer, as that can be dangerous, and you may not need to do a full disassembly either.

The most effective method for removing driver  wrinkles I've found so far is: 
1 - to stick a tiny piece of double sided tape to the end of a toothpick (normal sticky tape rolled backwards around itself won't work)
2 - press gently down onto the wrinkle near the middle of the wrinkle and hold for a few second - only press down about 1mm, you don't want to create more wrinkles or damage the diaphragm. 
3 - pull up slowly but firmly. 

The wrinkles usually pop out instantly - you might need to do it twice on larger wrinkles. 

May 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the quick response! I'll go out for the supplies soon. any suggestions as how to remove the white cloth and am i supposed to remove the thing with the holes? im worried the toothpick might puncture the diaphragm! do i make it blunt?

May 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Instead of a toothpick you could use a wooden cocktail stick. They're actually not that sharp, and with a bit of tape on the end, the risk of puncture is very low to none.
Even a metal needle/pin wouldn't poke a hole through the diaphragm from a light touch - you'd probably fill it with wrinkles before you'd puncture it. 

Not sure how you'd remove the white cover.
Check out the 'post your Grado mods' thread - if you don't find out how there, just ask there. You'll get an answer for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back