Grado ramblings...
Jul 31, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #46 of 76
If you ever manufacture those to sell, count me in. I would love to give my 325is a makeover with your cup/rod/headband design!

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #47 of 76
  If you ever manufacture those to sell, count me in. I would love to give my 325is a makeover with your cup/rod/headband design!

Working hard to make it happen. I just got the new set screws to hold the rods in place. They're nylon tipped so they allow some form of movement (rotation and sliding) like a new pair of Grado clips does don't dig into and scratch the rods like stainless steel ones might do. If they ever loosen up over time you can simply re-tighten them again and you're good to go. I think this is going to be the ideal balance of easy adjustment with some holding strength but there's nothing preventing the use of a stainless set screw or even a tool-less thumb screw if you really wanted (like the original Grado HP1).

Next up is going to the plating shop to explore different types of finishes for these parts for a higher quality look. I'm thinking a light bead blast + anodizing or nickel plating is the way to go. Will be posting more pics as soon as I dig further into that.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #48 of 76

Working hard to make it happen. I just got the new set screws to hold the rods in place. They're nylon tipped so they allow some form of movement (rotation and sliding) like a new pair of Grado clips does don't dig into and scratch the rods like stainless steel ones might do. If they ever loosen up over time you can simply re-tighten them again and you're good to go. I think this is going to be the ideal balance of easy adjustment with some holding strength but there's nothing preventing the use of a stainless set screw or even a tool-less thumb screw if you really wanted (like the original Grado HP1).

Next up is going to the plating shop to explore different types of finishes for these parts for a higher quality look. I'm thinking a light bead blast + anodizing or nickel plating is the way to go. Will be posting more pics as soon as I dig further into that.

Anodized metal is love, anodized metal is life.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #49 of 76
Just got back the first test sample yesterday. Has a fine wet bead blasted texture and anodizing and is starting to look nice and finished. Just need to dial in the exact colour. I'm going with a darker gun metal colour to strike a balance between not looking too out of place with the black plastic but still stand out as a new part. Can't wait to get the rest of the parts back!

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #50 of 76
I was thinking to myself, "Why am I searching new posts at midnight after an exhausting day?"

I'm so glad that I did.

This thread is a freakin unicorn. A mythical creature that you didn't even think existed, but here it is.
Awesome work. The designs and how you've brought them to life have blown my away. This thread is only a few pages long right now, but if it had been 200, I'd have stayed up to read it.

Looking forward to see a finished product. Inspiring. Really.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #51 of 76
I was thinking to myself, "Why am I searching new posts at midnight after an exhausting day?"

I'm so glad that I did.

This thread is a freakin unicorn. A mythical creature that you didn't even think existed, but here it is.
Awesome work. The designs and how you've brought them to life have blown my away. This thread is only a few pages long right now, but if it had been 200, I'd have stayed up to read it.

I felt the same way with the first Grado modding thread.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #52 of 76

I'm so glad that I did.

Thank you very much, that made my day 
smile_phones.gif

So for the weekly status update, right now I'm stuck on how to finish these. Finishing is a lot more expensive than I was originally thinking and while the dark grey is really nice there's a tad bit of red in it which bothers me. Shops can do other custom colours for anodizing but then it gets really expensive because I have to pay for the different dyes on top of the normal processing fees. There is always the DIY route and learning how to do this myself at home so I've got some more digging to do apparently.

The shop does offer black which is always another option, and then maybe I could consider other colours later on if people are interested. Black would really blend in with the stock look. Any preferences guys?
I found these pics online that give a glimpse of what it could look like: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=580

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #53 of 76
First batch is back from the plating shop! Will try and see if I can find all of the parts for the headphones now so I can reassemble them and take some photos. It's been so many years that I forgot where they are. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #57 of 76
  With as much skill as you have machining parts I'm surprised you don't make your own completely new pair of headphones. 

Trust me I'd really love to, it's the curse of being an industrial designer. I'd make everything custom for myself if I had the time! Gotta save the energy for building the stuff at work that pays the bills though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back