Grado ramblings...
Dec 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #31 of 76
This thread is amazing

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #32 of 76
that right,I tried contacting a few places this week to get quotes for making some molds but oddly enough nobody has written back so I'll just have to continue poking around.thanks
MgMzZv

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #33 of 76
Current plastic clips simplyfies installation by joining it over rod. New single piece design looks perfecty, but complicates installation, because i can't simply put it on rod (at least on my Grado Alessandro MS1), cause one end of the rod pressed into o-ring and the other has plastic stop.

Everything else is great! Very intresting thread!

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #34 of 76

that right,I tried contacting a few places this week to get quotes for making some molds but oddly enough nobody has written back so I'll just have to continue poking around.thanks
MgMzZv

Yeah unfortunately it'd be very difficult to get a shop to take on such a small order; they generally like to do minimum orders/multiples as its far more profitable. I can't say I really blame them as there's a lot of setup time, and back and forth with the client and it's just not worth it for a one off unless they have an existing relationship with you. I've had the same problem as well before.

Current plastic clips simplyfies installation by joining it over rod. New single piece design looks perfecty, but complicates installation, because i can't simply put it on rod (at least on my Grado Alessandro MS1), cause one end of the rod pressed into o-ring and the other has plastic stop.

Everything else is great! Very intresting thread!

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. With the original Grado plastic clips despite the fact that it was originally made as two pieces and snapped together I've never tried to pull them apart. I'd assume like many products, its a one way snap together for assembly and thats it, meaning its not made to be pulled apart and tabs or something of the like could be damaged in the process? More to the point though I don't understand why you'd need/want to do that. All of the Grados I've seen (including the MS1 from what I can tell in photos) have the gimbal on one side of the rod that's permanently attached (if you break this out it won't be going back in properly afterwards) and then a plastic cap (or stop as you call it) on the other end that's easily removed and put back on with no repercussions (it actually falls off by itself at times). So to get this metal clip on you'd simply remove the cap, slide the rod through, put the cap back on, and tighten the set screw to hold the rod in place. I appreciate the feedback, and I hope I'm understanding what you're saying properly! 
redface.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #38 of 76
As is the trend, after long time in hiding I'm back working at it again. A move to the city and a new WA7 amp encouraged me to get things going and wrapped up once and for all. I had a small batch of clips machined and now in the process of finding a good place to get them finished and coated. Next up are the outer metal cups since they're probably the next easiest part to make. Can't wait to see it all come together 
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #39 of 76
  As is the trend, after long time in hiding I'm back working at it again. A move to the city and a new WA7 amp encouraged me to get things going and wrapped up once and for all. I had a small batch of clips machined and now in the process of finding a good place to get them finished and coated. Next up are the outer metal cups since they're probably the next easiest part to make. Can't wait to see it all come together 
biggrin.gif

Revival! I... I'm so happy!

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #40 of 76
Me so happy too mang, although Ive moved on from the ear rape that is Grado comfort I may have to jump back in once these become available some time in 2034. I know he makes all the parts using only a solid block of unobtainium, a tooth pick, a tiny mallet, and love so it takes some time. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 76
biggrin.gif

Dude, those look amazing! Great work! 

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #45 of 76
  Me so happy too mang, although Ive moved on from the ear rape that is Grado comfort I may have to jump back in once these become available some time in 2034. I know he makes all the parts using only a solid block of unobtainium, a tooth pick, a tiny mallet, and love so it takes some time. 
biggrin.gif

It's adamantium actually, and I'm optimistic for a 2025 launch. Grado has to still be in business after all, and if I wait too long headphones may just be a 3.5mm jack directly into your brain 
wink.gif

Hi there will you be doing an RS1 style cup bracket that all the way around the cup as Apposed to a c shape ?

That's the plan! I really like the look of the full ring as opposed to the C, and with a thinner metal profile the ring may be necessary so it doesn't flex too much. The only catch is from what I can tell that part requires the most machining time so it'd be the most expensive of the parts I'd like to do. At the moment it's 4 parts, the ring, rod, and 2 screws x 2 of course. I'm going to have to look into ways to making it more reasonable like not making custom screws or something of that nature. I'll keep you guys updated with that but in the mean time I'll be hard at work trying to deliver the cups asap this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back