Grado RA1
Mar 26, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #31 of 51
I have an RA-1 clone that I bought for around $60. It isn't awful by most standards, but I notice I _never_ go out of my way to listen to it either. In fact, I've pretty much forgotten I have it (except I did plug it in to reply to this post and am listening to it now). To my ears, the upper mids and highs sound grainy and the bass is undynamic and a little sloppy--specifically, bass attacks are slow. Midrange is pretty smooth, which is a good thing, but the soundstage comes across a bit compressed and there is a subtle but detectable "veil". I can't stop thinking about the circuit and how the subtle artifacts I'm describing are getting in the way of the music I'm trying to enjoy. The overall impression (without comparisons to a better amp) is that the amp has a natural sound. It doesn't offend your senses with qualities like "bright", and "harsh", the kinds of things you normally associate with inexpensive solid state gear. In other words, while it has shortcomings, they aren't the shortcomings you would normally associate with inexpensive gear. And then you switch to a better amp and realize you weren't enjoying it as much as you thought you were. My DIY hybrid amp that costs in parts less than half what the RA1 retails for completely destroys this RA-1 clone.

So it's a mixed bag--enjoyable but slow, compressed, grainy and lacking the attack and decay of natural sound/music. Overall, I still think it's a good choice as long as you don't overpay for it. There's no way I'd pay $200, much less $350, but I would consider buying one (or a clone thereof in a really nice case) for perhaps $100 or so ($125 tops), but hopefully less, like around $75.

-coma

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #32 of 51
I cannot believe you guys. Four years and counting... The same debate goes on and no one is tired of it.

If you like the RA-1, as I do, enjoy! It is a fabulous sounding amp with a nice box. It is indeed crafted (not designed, crafted) so well that it sounds as good as it does with such a simple design. Other implementations of the same design have been known to fall short, and that is that.

If you don't like the RA-1, have some respect for those of us who do and shut the hell up.

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
I cannot believe you guys. Four years and counting... The same debate goes on and no one is tired of it.

If you like the RA-1, as I do, enjoy! It is a fabulous sounding amp with a nice box. It is indeed crafted (not designed, crafted) so well that it sounds as good as it does with such a simple design. Other implementations of the same design have been known to fall short, and that is that.

If you don't like the RA-1, have some respect for those of us who do and shut the hell up.

Heh, can't say I disagree with just about everything you have posted
biggrin.gif

Edited to make sense
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #35 of 51
It's relative. Assuming mine sounds like a "real" RA-1 (and IMO), it's either: 1) amazingly good for its $20 in parts; or 2) a potentially questionable retail purchase (or at least one you should evaluate carefully against other similarly price amps). I would *definitely* build one of these instead of a CMoy, or anything else that would cost up to $50 or maybe $75 in parts. In fact, that's why I still have it--so I can pop it open and copy it later on when I have the time. That way each of my kids can have a decent headphone amp. I can also use the design for several headphone listening nodes/stations in my home headphone network. I can't afford to make ~20 Dynahi's nor maintain that many hybrid/tube amps.

I wasn't trashing or arguing, just posting my honest impressions. I haven't been here 4 years to get tired of it
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's great marketing on Grado's part: sounds good (natural, "high-end"), costs very little to make, has synergy with their line of headphones, looks pretty nice and even matches some of their high-end phones, etc. It's a sound you could settle down to--some might (and obviously do) really like it. Nothing wrong with that.

-coma

Mar 27, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Heh, can't say I don't disagree with just about everything you have posted
biggrin.gif

Ahhh! I'm still trying to decode this.
biggrin.gif

Once I do, I need to find an RA-1 to try. I think. Right?

Mar 27, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #37 of 51
"can't say I don't disagree"

I read that several times and didn't get it either. Let's see, cancelling out double-negative should leave: "can't agree". Not sure that was what was meant though...

Mar 27, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #38 of 51
I listened to the rs-1 with the ra-1 and walked away thinking I'd never heard music so sweet (I now know how sweet sweet can really be). Then I bought an rs-1 and hated the sound and returned them. I think what it comes down to is that the ra-1 sounds great with the rs-1 -it was probably designed using rs-1's- and it looks great along with the rs-1.

I think thats as simple as it is, you aren't supposed to look inside the damn thing ********! thats why they seal it off with all that pretty wood. Just leave it there looking and sounding good next to your rs-1's
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #39 of 51
BTW how much does the mahogany case itself cost? I simply don't have any idea. Maybe it could be a promising venture to make audiophile headphone amps in golden and platinum enclosures with some Pimeta designs inside
biggrin.gif

I have recently auditioned an RA-1 + RS-1 combo in Grado's Moscow retailer's store, but they were both brand new out of the box with zero hours of burn-in. They haven't had possibly shown their best, but I liked the sound very much. And the combo looks veeery cool. I'd definitely get it one day!

Regarding rising analogies, the cakes one is pretty acute, and McDonalds-worms one is fun but inadequate IMHO 'cause Grado isn't in any way similar with McDonalds and so the CMoy design -- worms!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #41 of 51
It never ceases to amaze me how little business sense people on Head-Fi have. Do you expect Grado to just give away their products for nothing? Even comparing costs to a company like Headamp isn't fair because Headamp has grown from a DIY'er and sold direct to the customer. Grado on the other hand has to deal with distributor networks and retailers all of whom want to make a decent profit so they can feed their kids.

I don't actually own an RA-1 but I did have an extended audition with one. I haven't heard enough high end amps to say if it's the ultimate or at least one of the best pairings but I do think there is a definate synergy with the RS-1's that was highly enjoyable. Hearing the RA-1 is actually what pushed me over the edge in my decision to try the MiniMax, I figured if the internal headamp didn't live up to expectations I could pair the player with an RA-1 for a highly enjoyable pairing that wouldn't take up much more space that wouldn't break the bank.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
It never ceases to amaze me how little business sense people on Head-Fi have.

What happens is the lemming effect. Or...more correctly the "consumer" effect. In today's society, "we" (the general we) are a disposable society. Plop down the cash for the lowest cost, as long as it does the job and bingo! If it doesn't work out, we can just dump it and buy something else.

This has certainly trickled into the Head-fi mentality, where one would assume "prosumerism" would actually be at work. One doing research, looking for soemthing that is beyond consumer grade, but is not professional grade (which is pretty much what all of audiophiledom is. The pro stuff is usually in another class, not necessary better, just different. Few products have bridged teh gap, like the Grace amps. Pro gear that works well for the audiophile.

Anyway, the point is that one still wants rock bottom dollar without thinking about quality in all of its areas of meaning. Build, customer service, longevity of the product, of the company! How often do we see some hot new amp come along, everyone dumps what they have, they buy this new thing and 6 months later you cna't give them away? CMOY, CHA47, Meta42, Pimeta and now even the PPA! Yet...an RA-1 retains its value...so interesting. Also, it is very often recommended...not so with the others above.

Again, EAR makes amps with amazing chassis but with lower grade parts inside, because they don't believe necessarily that the priciest parts do it for the sound. In fact, some have modified EAR gear and found that after adding the best parts, the magic of the sound has disappeared. That is R&D at work. Have a sound in mind, work with parts to find what will approximate it, sell it at a given price point, hope to make a profit. Grado did this as well.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

How often do we see some hot new amp come along, everyone dumps what they have, they buy this new thing and 6 months later you cna't give them away? CMOY, CHA47, Meta42, Pimeta and now even the PPA!

I second.

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
It never ceases to amaze me how little business sense people on Head-Fi have. Do you expect Grado to just give away their products for nothing? Even comparing costs to a company like Headamp isn't fair because Headamp has grown from a DIY'er and sold direct to the customer. Grado on the other hand has to deal with distributor networks and retailers all of whom want to make a decent profit so they can feed their kids.

I don't want to start a flame war but I feel its necessary to say that it never ceases to amaze me how rude some people can be in general. Insulting our sense and all that is a wonderful way to convince us of something or to even post. Perhaps some of us aren't business men or whatever. Please excuse us foolish folk that cannot comprehend your royal business sense.

Quote:

Again, EAR makes amps with amazing chassis but with lower grade parts inside, because they don't believe necessarily that the priciest parts do it for the sound. In fact, some have modified EAR gear and found that after adding the best parts, the magic of the sound has disappeared. That is R&D at work. Have a sound in mind, work with parts to find what will approximate it, sell it at a given price point, hope to make a profit. Grado did this as well.

I know all of this is true. That the quality isn't always what matter, but the sound itself. However, I find that Grado's lackluster quality goes beyond the line. It is sort of like artistic license. Some art pieces are simply... too abstract. In this case, Grado's lack of attention to basic quality is unacceptable to me. Solder burns and joints so weak that glue has to be poured in? I feel this goes a bit over the line.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I used to own one. The RA-1 is not a very good amp. The bass is weak and slow, and the highs are noticeably grainy. You can take a source with smooth highs, add the RA-1, and end up with grainy highs. It's just not worth the money.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I got an RA-1 as a bonus as a part of a sale of HP-1s and honestly, I couldn't dump it fast enough. I think you do better for the money. Especially if you buy used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back