Grado RA1 - AC Version. Why discontinued?
Oct 18, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 15
Not trying to open the can again... but it won't be better than your Little Dot anyway. Give tubes a try.

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 15
Why would you spend $425 on this amp when the internals look like this. ? Am I missing something here?

396335201_6479ac6bf6_o.jpg

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you spend $425 on this amp when the internals look like this. ? Am I missing something here?

396335201_6479ac6bf6_o.jpg

Yuck. Forget I asked.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 15
Yes but those are some Solen caps, though I wouldn't use them but some say there is synergy with the Grado phones when using the amp. Having never heard the amp I can't say how it sound but it does seem just a wee bit over priced for what you are getting.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 15
Because of the inferior sq i guess. Walwart psu's are tend to provide dirty power. Batteries, on the other hand provide clean, of-the-grid power.

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes but those are some Solen caps, though I wouldn't use them but some say there is synergy with the Grado phones when using the amp. Having never heard the amp I can't say how it sound but it does seem just a wee bit over priced for what you are getting.

John, Just a wee bit over priced ? LOL!

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 15
It's all about synergy. Some will argue that no other amp can match the synergy between Grado cans and the RA-1.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all about synergy. Some will argue that no other amp can match the synergy between Grado cans and the RA-1.

Then grado owner's are in luck!
The inexpensive circuit makes for a excellent sounding, and very cheap headphone setup. =)

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then grado owner's are in luck!
The inexpensive circuit makes for a excellent sounding, and very cheap headphone setup. =)

If you build it yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 15
If you can get a good sound from that and a battery why are some amps so expensive. What was that saying I read on here about wire and gain, less in the path of the signal, what are their amps made of, gold?

Deary me this place confuses me.
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Easy enough to build, there used to be someone selling boards that you just needed to put the caps/resistors in and soder. I tried a variety of caps and the solens do sound the best with grados. And stvn758 its a great little amp for grados but imho if you try to run many other cans off it the shine wears off way fast. It is very confusing, but its the nature of the hobby and something as sound thats so subjective.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 15
I don't think the AC version is discontinued. Music Direct has them in stock. Regarding synergy with RS-1's, as much as I have tried to deny that such a cheaply made amp could be as good or better than other much better built high end amps, I have to admit that none of the many amps I have owned over the years can beat it. If you look at it this way, the amp is a real bargain. By the way, I recently removed the on/off switch from mine which resulted in a very noticeable improvement in sound.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the AC version is discontinued. Music Direct has them in stock. Regarding synergy with RS-1's, as much as I have tried to deny that such a cheaply made amp could be as good or better than other much better built high end amps, I have to admit that none of the many amps I have owned over the years can beat it. If you look at it this way, the amp is a real bargain. By the way, I recently removed the on/off switch from mine which resulted in a very noticeable improvement in sound.

Ah, so they do, thanks. I think the amps they have are leftovers because HeadRoom mentions the AC versions are discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back