Grado question
Apr 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really depends... only you can be the judge.

Personally, I am not a fan of Grado, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be. However, I do not think it is a stretch to say that they have a very specific sound, and if you are not looking for it, you won't like them.

Grado are not "hi-fi" in the sense that they don't give you a pure signal. Before people raise hell over that statement, let me explain. Technically "hi-fi" means pure and accurate -true to the recording. While Grados sound very good under proper conditions, they are not accurate at all. Whatever you listen to through a grado, will sound like grados version of that song.

While it is VERY hard to get a completely neutral headphone, and some people don't even want that, Grados are very hit or miss, and only you can be the judge.

I would say get a pair of sr60/80 used and take it from there. Resist the urge to get everyone over with, as the second you buy it, you are open to buyers remorse.

yea i think i may go for the sr80 to try it out. its pretty mind blowing to me that grados $100 headphones sound equal or better to bose and beats $300 headphones haha

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Grado are not "hi-fi" in the sense that they don't give you a pure signal. Before people raise hell over that statement, let me explain. Technically "hi-fi" means pure and accurate -true to the recording. While Grados sound very good under proper conditions, they are not accurate at all. Whatever you listen to through a grado, will sound like grados version of that song.

While it is VERY hard to get a completely neutral headphone, and some people don't even want that, Grados are very hit or miss, and only you can be the judge.

I would say get a pair of sr60/80 used and take it from there. Resist the urge to get everyone over with, as the second you buy it, you are open to buyers remorse.

Well said. I like my headphones colored, it gives them personality. If I wanted truly neutral sounds I'd attend a live concert, which is cheaper than purchasing headphones.
atsmile.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

I would say get a pair of sr60/80 used and take it from there.

Grado SR60, approved without thinking.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 33
If you've never heard a Grado in your life, an easy risk is to buy the SR60 or SR80 for about $100. After listening to them for a while, you will either hate them - because you're a basshead and open-air designs frustrate your desire to crank up the beat - or you'll be blown away by the level of clarity and detail. At that point, you can roll up your sleeve and determine whether to slay the fatted calf and buy a better Grado. As it is, you can get back almost all of what you spend on a lower-end Grado. On the other hand, if your budget is comparable to that of the Bose buyer, and you just want to be done with it, you might consider buying the SR-225i, which is all many Grado lovers need.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've never heard a Grado in your life, an easy risk is to buy the SR60 or SR80 for about $100. After listening to them for a while, you will either hate them - because you're a basshead and open-air designs frustrate your desire to crank up the beat - or you'll be blown away by the level of clarity and detail. At that point, you can roll up your sleeve and determine whether to slay the fatted calf and buy a better Grado. As it is, you can get back almost all of what you spend on a lower-end Grado. On the other hand, if your budget is comparable to that of the Bose buyer, and you just want to be done with it, you might consider buying the SR-225i, which is all many Grado lovers need.

Leading\false information aside, that is exactly what I said ^__________^

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

I'm not biting. It's nice to see you again, Sokolov91.

Haha I figured you were baiting me and I went for it for fun -not vice versa.

Plus, you can't hate me completely, I even defended you valiantly in that other thread talking about angled drivers!

But common, making it look like the only reason you wouldn't like a Grado is because you are a basshead is a pretty poor statement. Many people like open headphones, and do not like Grados.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 33
I don't hate you, man. Without you, the world would be less interesting. Thanks for defending me when I got flamed over the angled-driver issue. If, at any time, you think I'm full of crap, jump in and have some fun.

As for the "only reason" business, I never said that being a basshead was the "only reason" a person might not like Grados, did I? I do think it's a major reason. Open-air cans let so much of the sound leak out the back. Much of that sound is bass. It's intentional, though, because it reduces resonance, which is what helps Grados sound better than a lot of closed cans, at least the cheaper ones. When you get higher up in the food chain, there are ways to make a closed can sound better. Even then, the top audiophile cans tend to be open-air cans for much the same reason.

Another reason folks dislike Grados is the brightness, which is an issue that overlaps with the bass performance. With a good amp, you can even out the presentation. If a person were to try to do this by simply cranking up the volume, it would be about as satisfactory as drinking more seawater to compensate for the salty mouth left over from the last cup of seawater. You can't "crank" your way toward a more balanced presentation. You can change pads or change amps.

Fortunately, the Grados respond very well to a decent bass boost. I've used my Grados on an M^3 with variable bass boost and gotten everything I could ever want out of the lower register - without having to crank the general volume higher. What Grado does differently from, say, Sennheiser, is to avoid the use of filters between the driver and the ear. Other than the cloth fore and aft, there's no filter - unless you consider the effect of the various ear pads. Sennheiser, on the other hand, utilizes intermediary filters. This blocks some of the HF and darkens up the presentation enough that you can crank them higher and get some fairly rich bass. Some people prefer it that way. I like the unfiltered presentation better. To each his own.

And that brings us back to an issue that overlaps with the other two, but which also stands on its own: coloration. Whether you're going closed-back or open-back but with wood or aluminum chambers, there's a certain degree to which chamber amplification produces "coloration." I don't know how much of this is real and how much of it is psychological, but people at least associate the wood with a "warm" sound, a coloration in the music. Conversely, they associate the aluminum sound as "less colored," with faster transients. The aluminum-only sound of the 325 turned some people off. The hybrid wood/aluminum approach is intended to respond to those who want "warm coloration" but with a certain degree of attenuation.

Whatever the reality, Grados are loved and hated for having a more dynamic and "colored" presentation as opposed to the more "laid back" and "colorless" presentation of the Sennheisers. By the same token, Grado emphasis on midrange (which is its flattest area in FR graphs) is associated with a more intimate and "narrower" sound stage, as opposed to the wider and "less upfront" sound stage of other open-air cans like the AKGs. Of course, Grados's jumbo club - the GS1000 and the PS1000 - are noteworthy for pursuing a larger soundstage.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Joboto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into some Alessandro models maybe?

Well, for the price of an SR80, you can get an MS1, which is equivalent to an SR125. That, in my opinion, is a bargain worth pursuing. The MS2 and MS3 offer no price breaks compared to their Grado counterparts (SR-225 and RS-1). This is exactly the point when somebody will chime in and say that the Alessandros are better, though how or why is anybody's guess. When I tweak an SR60, it's because I'm expecting Grado to have cheapened it up to make me spend more dough on the higher stock. If somebody wants to suggest that Allessandro knows more about headphones than Grado, it leaves me wondering why Alessandro is buying from Grado and not the other way around. (I don't buy into the "Allessandro's are better" mystique.)

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

I don't hate you, man. Without you, the world would be less interesting. Thanks for defending me when I got flamed over the angled-driver issue. If, at any time, you think I'm full of crap, jump in and have some fun.

cut for space.

Nah even if we don't agree on a few things, I would never go so far as to say you are full of ****. I mean, ideas are non linear, text is linear -right? It is hard to get something on paper that has so many variables at any given time. Usually when people focus on an argument, it is point by point, which is a little self defeating as a lot of things are tied together.

I wasn't sure how deep your love for Grado went, but clearly it is not blinding you :p. It's nice to see people can really love a product and still be aware of what it could do better/differently.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Well, for the price of an SR80, you can get an MS1, which is equivalent to an SR125. That, in my opinion, is a bargain worth pursuing. The MS2 and MS3 offer no price breaks compared to their Grado counterparts (SR-225 and RS-1). This is exactly the point when somebody will chime in and say that the Alessandros are better, though how or why is anybody's guess. When I tweak an SR60, it's because I'm expecting Grado to have cheapened it up to make me spend more dough on the higher stock. If somebody wants to suggest that Allessandro knows more about headphones than Grado, it leaves me wondering why Alessandro is buying from Grado and not the other way around. (I don't buy into the "Allessandro's are better" mystique.)

Alessandro is just a different EQ, no? Wasn't the whole point of him starting the line because he liked grados/was a friend or something, but wanted a sound that suited studio applications better?

That is just of faint memory though, I could be wrong.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Alessandro is just a different EQ, no? Wasn't the whole point of him starting the line because he liked grados/was a friend or something, but wanted a sound that suited studio applications better?

That is just of faint memory though, I could be wrong.

I think you're right.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by skrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i better off getting the ms1's instead of sr80s then?

Think of the MS1(2009 Version) as a modified version of the SR125i from Grado, what these modifications include I'm not sure, it could be that instead of having an 8 conductor cable(SR125), it has the 4(MS1i) and such. Personally I own the MS1i's and for the price why not right? It's not a marginal difference like your mind will be blown, but still an "upgrade", ultimately you will have to see if the difference is worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back