Grado question
Apr 18, 2010 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

skrat

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new here and have been looking for a while for some good cans and decided on some Grados. The problem is, I can't sample any so I don't know which to get. The "best" headphones I've been able to sample at some stores were either Bose or Beats.

So in comparison to any Bose or Beats headphones, which Grados are more or less comparable? Like which Grados compare to the most expensive Bose or Beats headphones? Keep in mind I'm only using Bose and Beats to compare because that the only samples I've heard, I know theres much hate for both brands on this forum lol.

Oh i forgot to mention, i want to get some headphones that are better than the most expensive bose or beats.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 33
I think most will tell you a 225i is a safe bet for a very solid headphone... you could even go with an SR60 really if you wanted. An sr60 is most likely on par, or better, for cheaper.

What kind of music are you listening to? Might be a specific model to look into, or to avoid Grado as a brand all together.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 33
OOOPS,
,Welcome to head-fi, First- practice holding open your wallet and saying the magic words--HELP YOURSELF.
Next- get a pair of SR 60 or 80's and see what you think, you never know!!
Good Luck
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OOOPS,
,Welcome to head-fi, First- practice holding open your wallet and saying the magic words--HELP YOURSELF.
Next- get a pair of SR 60 or 80's and see what you think, you never know!!
Good Luck
tongue_smile.gif

so would you say that sr 60 or 80 will sound better or equal to the most expensive bose or beats headphones?

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by skrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so would you say that sr 60 or 80 will sound better or equal to the most expensive bose or beats headphones?

definitely on par, if not better.

However, Grados offer no isolation, and depending on your ears, they are not the comfiest brand... forget about wearing them outside, on the bus, or pretty much anywhere except your house.

If you want piece of mind and have the cash, and absolutely have to have grado, get the 225i

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 33
Alessandro MS1 (moded Grados, probably with SR125 driver)?

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely on par, if not better.

However, Grados offer no isolation, and depending on your ears, they are not the comfiest brand... forget about wearing them outside, on the bus, or pretty much anywhere except your house.

If you want piece of mind and have the cash, and absolutely have to have grado, get the 225i

oo thanks for the advice. the price isnt really a factor for me, i just want to get some really good cans. i was actually looking at the rs2 or rs1 before, would that be over kill? i want a pair of cans that i know i'll pretty much use forever and not want to upgrade later.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

oo thanks for the advice. the price isnt really a factor for me, i just want to get some really good cans. i was actually looking at the rs2 or rs1 before, would that be over kill? i want a pair of cans that i know i'll pretty much use forever and not want to upgrade later.

Depends on your source and amp really... and how good your recording quality is. If you are using Mp3s and no amp then yes, the rs1 would definitely be overkill.

If you are planning on getting an amp, and have CD quality rips of your music, then the RS1 would not be a poor choice. It is very highly regarded around these parts.

If price is not an issue, why not try buying a used pair of sr60/80, trying them out, then see if you wanna dump more money into Grado headphones? The cheaper ones will give you an idea of the sound and comfort...

Spending 699.99 USD on a headphone you have never worn is pretty risky.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 33
Also, "use forever and never upgrade" would mean they leave absolutely nothing else to be desired... not only is this unrealistic, it depends a lot on how much you like the Grado house sound... it is hit or miss with most people, and with some genres too.

While they can be much more exciting with some genres, and some people swear by them, there is a lot of stuff they do poorly, and a lot of people who hate the comfort and very up front sound.

I would HIGHLY advise using a cheaper pair before dropping 700USD

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Depends on your source and amp really... and how good your recording quality is. If you are using Mp3s and no amp then yes, the rs1 would definitely be overkill.

If you are planning on getting an amp, and have CD quality rips of your music, then the RS1 would not be a poor choice. It is very highly regarded around these parts.

If price is not an issue, why not try buying a used pair of sr60/80, trying them out, then see if you wanna dump more money into Grado headphones? The cheaper ones will give you an idea of the sound and comfort...

Spending 699.99 USD on a headphone you have never worn is pretty risky.

haha, thats true. i would definitely have an amp if i got rs1's and im currently building my CD collection. any recommendations for an amp with the rs1's?

i know i said price is not an issue, but only if im gonna buy it an keep it. do you think the rs1 suits the genres i listen to?

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Also, "use forever and never upgrade" would mean they leave absolutely nothing else to be desired... not only is this unrealistic, it depends a lot on how much you like the Grado house sound... it is hit or miss with most people, and with some genres too.

While they can be much more exciting with some genres, and some people swear by them, there is a lot of stuff they do poorly, and a lot of people who hate the comfort and very up front sound.

I would HIGHLY advise using a cheaper pair before dropping 700USD

thats a good point too. maybe i will try sokolov91's suggestion of trying some sr60's since you guys seem to say its comparable or better than the best bose or beats.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 33
The Grado sound may not be for everyone, so best scour the for sale forums for a used 80i or 225i or MS1/2. I've listened extensively to Bose QC2's (my uncle has them) and have auditioned Beats - the Grados are far more controlled and detailed in their range and if properly amped, extend higher and lower. Their strongest points are midrange (something to die for!) but are lighter on bass, especially unamped. If you drive them from an iPod the bass is weaker/less prominent but tight.

Bose QC2 have bass, but it's quantity over quality. Lots of volume, but lacks detail and definition so it's not very good at instrument separation. The midrange and treble lack life, so vocals and especially percussion sound dull, and the very highs thin (or tinny). Piano just doesn't sound very exciting. Soundstage claustrophobic. These are good headphones for movies or possibly gaming, good for explosions for their boomy sound and ringing.

Not sure how these attributes are relevant to hip-hop and rap, which in my less informed opinion require less detail.

But Grados are never your end-all-do-all cans, you usually need to pair it with something more neutral with wider soundstage for enjoyable listening across all genres.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

haha, thats true. i would definitely have an amp if i got rs1's and im currently building my CD collection. any recommendations for an amp with the rs1's?

i know i said price is not an issue, but only if im gonna buy it an keep it. do you think the rs1 suits the genres i listen to?

Really depends... only you can be the judge.

Personally, I am not a fan of Grado, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be. However, I do not think it is a stretch to say that they have a very specific sound, and if you are not looking for it, you won't like them.

Grado are not "hi-fi" in the sense that they don't give you a pure signal. Before people raise hell over that statement, let me explain. Technically "hi-fi" means pure and accurate -true to the recording. While Grados sound very good under proper conditions, they are not accurate at all. Whatever you listen to through a grado, will sound like grados version of that song.

While it is VERY hard to get a completely neutral headphone, and some people don't even want that, Grados are very hit or miss, and only you can be the judge.

I would say get a pair of sr60/80 used and take it from there. Resist the urge to get everyone over with, as the second you buy it, you are open to buyers remorse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back