Grado Question
Jan 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lurid

New Head-Fier
Not trying to start a flame war, just asking a question ^
redface.gif
^

With that out of the way, between the SR80's and the SR225 is there a noticeable enough difference that a newbie (to the hifi scene) could discern? I know that with alot of things differences are minute, or are even in peoples heads. I'm not saying this is the case, quite the contrary...i'm just wondering if I should stretch my budget and allow for the SR225's if they are that much better. $100 isn't an insane amount of money, but i'd like to know if the differences are generally worth that premium (albeit small).

I'm not too worried about the fitting issues, however I will be buying them from HeadRoom so if necessary I can return them. I've been told by various people (here and elsewhere) that the Grados seem like a good choice for my musical tastes (Alternative Rock & Metal), but if you have any other suggestions you'd like to make in the $100 - $200 range i'd be more than happy to look into them. The only real thing is they can't be too impeded, because I won't have an amp in the foreseeable future. Thanks for your time, and sorry that i've made two threads about similar questions. I just thought a bump from a week old thread would be kinda dumb, and since i'll be (hopefully) ordering soon i'd get things straightened out now
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I would go for SR225s, it'll save you some money in the long run
biggrin.gif

It's not a gigantic improvement such as switching from ibuds to portapros, but it does show signifant improvement in comfort and sound quality. I took smaller steps, going SR-60 -> SR-80s ->SR225s ->MS2s and I should have just got MS2s in the first place
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 10
switching from SR80 to SR225 gave me more detail across all ranges, mostly in midrange. As well as vocals sounding more real. As for soundstage, it's gotten little better but not very much. Sound of acustic guitar seems more natural and drums show better attack and decay, producing more impact. They do wonderful things for live tracks, although I prefer my K701s for that purpose due to their fantastic soundstage

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 10
I hear more refinement and tamed highs, and instruments sound more realistic and it has more weight and a have more soundstage and more natural balance when using the SR225.........but for some reason for my PC listening to instrumental Jazz and Techno and R&B i grab for my SR80 more. I grab the SR225 when i listen to Classic Jazz and Blues and Classic Rock.

Texture, i listen to SR225.....................Energy and a bit more "in your face fun factor" i listen to SR80 for all the tinkles and bells and sounds in techno trance ambient type music.

But there are days i grab for other headphones in my collection.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I would get the 225's or ms2's or 325i's if you really can afford it. The 225's do give more detail than the 80's for sure. I just purchased some 325i's after going from 80's to 225's so I hope I have reached the top of my headphone purchasing. At least for the time being.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to start a flame war, just asking a question ^
redface.gif
^

With that out of the way, between the SR80's and the SR225 is there a noticeable enough difference that a newbie (to the hifi scene) could discern? I know that with alot of things differences are minute, or are even in peoples heads. I'm not saying this is the case, quite the contrary...i'm just wondering if I should stretch my budget and allow for the SR225's if they are that much better. $100 isn't an insane amount of money, but i'd like to know if the differences are generally worth that premium (albeit small).

I'm not too worried about the fitting issues, however I will be buying them from HeadRoom so if necessary I can return them. I've been told by various people (here and elsewhere) that the Grados seem like a good choice for my musical tastes (Alternative Rock & Metal), but if you have any other suggestions you'd like to make in the $100 - $200 range i'd be more than happy to look into them. The only real thing is they can't be too impeded, because I won't have an amp in the foreseeable future. Thanks for your time, and sorry that i've made two threads about similar questions. I just thought a bump from a week old thread would be kinda dumb, and since i'll be (hopefully) ordering soon i'd get things straightened out now
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 10
I can't speak of the SR80, but the difference between the SR60 and SR225 was significant to my ears when I was but a wee headphone newb a year and a half ago.
smily_headphones1.gif
To put it simply, the SR225 offers more resolution and fun midbass impact over the SR60, but not necessarily more soundstage. If you want that bigger soundstage, and you want to hear the lovely decay of notes (most noticeable on open mic recordings like jazz), the RS-1 is the way to go.

However, for your purposes, being alternative rock, I recommend the SR225.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 10
The 225's do definitely tame the highs. That was the first thing I noticed when I first got my 225's. Maybe too much for me though. That is why I got 325i's.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 10
I haven't tried the SR-225, but I currently use the HF-1, which has been compared to the 225 (although most reports say the HF-1 has better overall sound, and especially improved bass). The SR-80s were my first decent cans, and I have fond memories of them. I sold them only because I didn't see the point in keeping them when I was using the HF-1s all the time (still am, for home use). Although now I am thinking it might be fun to have a pair of SR-60s too for using at work and such. To my ears, the difference between SR-80 and HF-1 was immediately noticeable, and quite significant -- much improved bass response, better balance among bass/mids/highs, wider soundstage, overall just very pleasing.

I will add this: If the SR-225 is anything like the HF-1, you will need an amp to appreciate it properly. Whereas I found the SR-80 did not change appreciably when amped. So the choice might not be as simple as one or the other.

Also, you don't say what source you are using, and that can make a difference too. If you are listening to MP3s from a portable player, I'd say stick with the SR-80 until you can upgrade source+amp. You will eventually move to a better headphone, but you need to think of all the parts of the listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back