Grado PS 500 all new in the Grado Professional Series
Sep 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #31 of 58
Yea, I have to agree not the best review. I think what he should have said was they are a very Natural sounding phone. Not the most Neutral sounding. The HP-1000, I would agree is super neutral. These are no PS-1, which I own and will never sell, but they are very fairly priced for what they do. They are indeed a very nice phone. The RS-1 is very much like a studio monitor, very detailed, up close and personal. The PS500 are more organic sounding than the RS-1. granted I only got about 45 minutes with them at Grado powered by an iPod and my IQube V1. So I have not nearly had enough time with them to give a perfect thought pattern on them yet. But I do like the end results of what a wood insert with an metal cup do for a phone.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #33 of 58

Quote:
Yea, I have to agree not the best review. I think what he should have said was they are a very Natural sounding phone. Not the most Neutral sounding. The HP-1000, I would agree is super neutral. These are no PS-1, which I own and will never sell, but they are very fairly priced for what they do. They are indeed a very nice phone. The RS-1 is very much like a studio monitor, very detailed, up close and personal. The PS500 are more organic sounding than the RS-1. granted I only got about 45 minutes with them at Grado powered by an iPod and my IQube V1. So I have not nearly had enough time with them to give a perfect thought pattern on them yet. But I do like the end results of what a wood insert with an metal cup do for a phone.

Not a new concept.  Head-fi member Bilavideo has a very long SR60 mod thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/508459/sr60-mod .  It seems he discovered that the wood metal combo sounds good a long time ago.  If I where Grado and I followed Bilavideo's thread, I would come out with a Bi-material SR-60, call it a PS-500 and charge everyone $500 for it. 
By the way, Bilavideo's house looks like a Grado modding factory and he makes his mods on request.   
I do not know who Bilavideo is but he is a member here and I believe he may be first with this concept so I just want to give him a shout out.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #34 of 58

Quote:
Not a new concept.  Head-fi member Bilavideo has a very long SR60 mod thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/508459/sr60-mod .  It seems he discovered that the wood metal combo sounds good a long time ago.  If I where Grado and I followed Bilavideo's thread, I would come out with a Bi-material SR-60, call it a PS-500 and charge everyone $500 for it. 
By the way, Bilavideo's house looks like a Grado modding factory and he makes his mods on request.   
I do not know who Bilavideo is but he is a member here and I believe he may be first with this concept so I just want to give him a shout out.

Don't bother and I suggest in the near future you not mention his name in mixed company on a Grado thread. Right now there's enough people upset with him because he hasn't returned their money or headphones in over 9 months and he's stopped answering his PM's. Just a heads up.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #35 of 58
Yeah, I remember BilaVideo's claims that the drivers were essentially the same or similar. I've got a spare RS2 driver lying around. One of these days, I'll take some CSD and non-linear distortion measurements of it and compare to the SR80i.

I thought BilaVideo disappeared from the face of the planet?

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #36 of 58

Quote:
Yeah, I remember BilaVideo's claims that the drivers were essentially the same or similar. I've got a spare RS2 driver lying around. One of these days, I'll take some CSD and non-linear distortion measurements of it and compare to the SR80i.

I thought BilaVideo disappeared from the face of the planet?

Didn't the HF2 also have a inside wood cup encasing the driver and a metal outside cup?

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #37 of 58

Quote:
Didn't the HF2 also have a inside wood cup encasing the driver and a metal outside cup?

Yup. That's why there speculation if these are just not the HF2 reissued under a different name. I'd be all over this if it were a tweaked HF2 with slightly less bass and more controlled treble peak.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 58
Oh my, a better sounding HF2?  Let's see what happens in the FS forum.  
popcorn.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #40 of 58
Okay then.  Sorry guys, came across his thread awhile back, read a few pages and thought some of the stuff was interesting.  Even if his business ethics may be mixed, he still may have stumbled across the bi-material housing first.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 58

Quote:

Yup. That's why there speculation if these are just not the HF2 reissued under a different name. I'd be all over this if it were a tweaked HF2 with slightly less bass and more controlled treble peak.

Interesting, I've never heard an HF2 so I'm not really sure what to expect I only know there's enough people on here who love them or are always on the lookout for them. I own the SR60i and I've had the SR80i SR225i  SR325i and the RS1i over my ears. Grado is known for tight controlled bass but the main criticism from people is it has no authority behind it I'm not looking for boomy bass but if they were tweaked for better detailed low reaching bass extension I'd be a happy camper. As it is I've been looking to move up the Grado product ladder and the SR325i and RS1i were what I was looking at. With this new model now I'm not so sure depending on the reviews I may have to reconsider the PS 500 is definitely a nice looking can.

Putting a shout out to all the Tribe Grado faithful come on guys someone take one for the team and review these cans. The suspense of what they might sound like is killing me.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #42 of 58

Quote:
Okay then.  Sorry guys, came across his thread awhile back, read a few pages and thought some of the stuff was interesting.  Even if his business ethics may be mixed, he still may have stumbled across the bi-material housing first.

I dunno about that.  Certainly not as in the history of headphones.  Also I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of Grado mod threads on other sites older than his thread.  Maybe.  Really no big deal either way.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #43 of 58

Quote:

I'd be all over this if it were a tweaked HF2 with slightly less bass and more controlled treble peak.

The closest thing to that would be a Magnum.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #44 of 58
Hmmm, interesting. Which reminds me, I need to call Joe back about tweaking my existing HP1000s.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #45 of 58
Guys, I've moved the discussion about the Magnums to the thread on them.  I think it's a bit unfair to Drew to be discussing them in this thread. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back