Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Sep 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #197 of 318
I suggest that anyone who purchases a blemished PSK (or any other headphone), return it immediately for a refund. The power of the purse is the only language they'll understand. For years, customers have been turned off by Gradolabs' lack of quality control and profit-saving short-cuts, yet continue to support their business practices; hence, the cycle continues.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #198 of 318
My PS-1000 is now at NY Grado Labs. Diagnose: burned driver. Will be back at the end of October, therefore after about two months.

Instruction from Grado to me and other PS-1000 users:
Not use them intensely during first three months. No long sessions, no loud playing. One day pauses since time to time recommended.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #199 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PS-1000 is now at NY Grado Labs. Diagnose: burned driver. Will be back at end of October, therefore after about two months.

Not use them intensely during firs three months. No long sessions, no loud playing. One day pauses since time to time recommended.

LOL!!
eek.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #201 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PS-1000 is now at NY Grado Labs. Diagnose: burned driver. Will be back at the end of October, therefore after about two months.

Not use them intensely during firs three months. No long sessions, no loud playing. One day pauses since time to time recommended.

eek.gif
eek.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
mad.gif
confused_face_2.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #204 of 318
Piotr, that is really interesting, and thanks for passing this on. I don't know how long "long sessions" are, or how "loud" loud levels should be either...Grado absolutely should be posting this information and a warning on head-fi or on its webpage or somewhere about this. If we've registered our product with them, they could at least send us an email with this information.

The only good thing (I think) is that with my old ears, I don't need too high a volume, and I don't leave them on for superextended periods (because I have a tube amp, and don't want to risk a fire hazard when I'm not home). Still, is leaving them on 8 hours straight (overnight) once in a while too much?

How loud/long did you play yours when you had them?

I have to say that you are a much more understanding and generous man than I am; I understand you need to vary speeds when driving a new car, but at least this is generalized knowledge. What I'm now wondering is whether things should be okay after three months and not, say, after six months or longer, etc. Do you know you're overdoing it if the cans get hot to the touch?

And why would it take so long to repair your phones as you've already paid so much for them? It seems like you'll have been out of cans for two months or longer, before you get to enjoy them again. Why don't they just replace them entirely? I understand them wanting to sell new ones, but existing customers should get priority here. Two months to wait for your 2100 dollar cans seems really like too much.

In the end, the Grado PS1000 sound is excellent - as long as it holds up!

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #207 of 318
Yes, two months is a long time. Maybe one month for one thousand of dollars, or something?

Fortunately I also have AKG K1000 and additionally I have bought Sennheiser HD 800. Who know whether I did, if PS-1000 didn’t damage?

How loud is too loud? I think very loud is too loud. Normal listening is OK. How long is too long? I have no idea. Maybe more than 3-5 hours per day?

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #208 of 318
One advice. According to me all this pink noise or special records heating process is worthless. If someone want to have good sound, should use as good system and recordings, as possible. Headphones become better after about four day of playing in better system. Everyone can check it.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #209 of 318
I am speechless...

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #210 of 318
I love my GS1000.
Alot of people here love Grado and it is our initial praises and willingness to fork out serious money ( without hearing ) that has made them the famous Grado. Alot of non -audiophiles here in the UK are now buying them simply out of respect. The PS1000 for the price should not have so much as a watermark on it let alone deep scratches and scuffs.Especially seeing we pay an extra $1000 here in the UK.
Message to John Grado. Those that make you can break you.
Damn....Glad i wasnt tempted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back