Grado Product Lineup = Consumer Deception?
Feb 11, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #46 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised no one has posted this link yet:

<http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...build-a-graph/

Over at HeadRoom, you can build graphs of the frequency response, harmonic distortion, etc. comparing various headphones. The measurements for the entire Grado lineup are there. I ran a few and see differences between them.

I don't remember which thread I saw it in, but at one time, someone posted the name of Grado's driver supplier. As far as I know, they're not built in-house.

You might also want to look at the differences between Grado's phono cartridges.

And no, I'm not Grado bashing. I love their headphones and use a Grado Gold cartridge on my turntable. I'm a satisfied customer.

here we go!

graphCompare.php

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread is a Bose Conspiracy, I tell you! They can't stand that the SR60 is probably worth about 60 bucks and has been for over a decade, the SR80 is worth about 80, 125 about 125, 225 about 225, 325 about 325..how dare they name their models after approximate price ranges and stick to it forever, while Senns devalue immediately when an incremental evolution can pops on the market?

of course this excludes you non-US folks, who get shafted on prices.
rs1smile.gif

Wow, almost 20,000 posts, whats ed at now?

HI by the way
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #50 of 101
i've been working and doing the family thing, thought i would drop in...
new homepage i see.

lots of new members it seems!

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #51 of 101
I've heard SR60, MS1, HF-1, SR325 and SR325i and I can tell you that they all sounded different. The HF-1 is way better than teh SR60 (I know we are talking about the SR225 but..). Of course, its too easy to just say "PROVE IT" but whatever.

So let your ears be the judge, if you have paid $200 for a pair of SR225 and you like the sound over the SR60 and you can hear a difference, why are we still picking over manufacturers specs?

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #52 of 101
headroom FR graphs don't tell you how tight the bass is, how much treble sparkle etc there is. the volume on grados is generally the same throughout the line - that's what they call a house sound!

i'm 100% most people already knew this so this post is redundant but just telling any potential newbies reading this thread so they aren't turned off by grados. in fact, i think i will go listen to my SR80s right now!

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #53 of 101
Grado has no need to be misleading (because they make a superb product). The only thing I think they could do which I think would actually help them would be to rename their products to better represent the technology within them and maybe be more forthcoming about their design.

But, of course they're not doing anything wrong. A company focuses on the best product they can make and sets a price they think reflects the product's quality. If that turns out to be a premium product and price then they know people will want lower dollar options. R&Ding products from the ground up won't allow for a lower dollar offering, so instead companies reduce the feature set of their product. This happens everywhere.

The op would really flip his lid if he knew that IEMs use the same driver's not only across lines but across brands.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #54 of 101
Well, Grado offer lines of products, they do not put a gun on anyone's head to buy them.

I see no reason in asking them to explain the difference in their products any more than what they did, or name the products to state the difference any clearler. To do that or not is marketing decision, and the company has made it.

Customers who don't think the difference in sound quality merit the price can buy something else for all I care.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, no... Anyone remember this infamous thread?

Grado's disrtibution chain is pathic. I emailed grado asking where I could demo their headphones. They passed my email adress on to their "regional" distributer in TN who emailed me asking where I lived, I told them NC. They sent me a list of 5 cities with Grado retailers. The closes, 1 hour away, turns out to be out of business. The other 4 are a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hour drive, all in the Raliegh area. They emailed me the store names and phone numbers one-at-a-time as I requested them, instead of just sending me the entire list. Very strange.

I live 30 minutes from Charlotte, the largest city in NC. We have 4/5 high-end audio stores. None carry Grado products. I'm not certain what I'm going to do.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

Grado's disrtibution chain is pathic. I emailed grado asking where I could demo their headphones. They passed my email adress on to their "regional" distributer in TN who emailed me asking where I lived, I told them NC. They sent me a list of 5 cities with Grado retailers. The closes, 1 hour away, turns out to be out of business. The other 4 are a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hour drive, all in the Raliegh area. They emailed me the store names and phone numbers one-at-a-time as I requested them, instead of just sending me the entire list. Very strange.

I live 30 minutes from Charlotte, the largest city in NC. We have 4/5 high-end audio stores. None carry Grado products. I'm not certain what I'm going to do.

Wrong thread, man...revive that other one if you want but that's not what we're talking about in here.

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #57 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the GS1000s definately use a different driver, but the SR60, SR325, and RS1 look to use a similar driver.

Based on what? A frequency graph? Try again...

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #58 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3 pages and just a lot of guessing and bashing.

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #59 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

looks like the grado defense squad has showed up! i better run!

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people also talk about why grado's cost so much more then lets say sennheisers.
i concluded that grado is a small company that has no debt and cant afford to take the loss, while senn is one of the biggest headphone manufacturers in the word. They can afford to sell their 580's at 125 bucks at amazon

I would be amazed if they were losing money even at that price. I work in manufacturing and the cost of the items that go into headphones shouldnt be huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back