Grado prices in the uk
Dec 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fidelity_Fiend

New Head-Fier
I've often considered getting myself a pair of Grado's due to the rave feedback that they always seem to get from hi-fi press. A friend of mine had a pair of sr-60's and they sounded pretty good to me, although maybe a little too forward.

However, whenever I look at grado headphones, the price often seems to literally have had a $ substituted for a £ sign, as opposed to sennheiser's or similar, where they seem to translate into similar prices in UK or the states. Does anyone think that this makes grado's bad value in the uk? In reviews I read (mostly american) they are often discussed/reviewed amongst headphones that would actually be alot cheaper to buy here. For example grado 125's seem to retail for about 150 (with better deals to be had by looking around im sure) in both the states and the uk, shame that even with a weak pound £150 is $220.

Just having a rant/searching for opinions really. Given that they don't have the 'value' factor here that is often mentioned in reviews from the states, can they still compete in their price range? Are they still worth considering?

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 10
You can try to buy them from ebay. There was a guy selling them in UK with a send an offer option and we often can get them for price close to what we would pay in the US using that option.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi.

There's nothing that sounds like them, so yes, I think Grado headphones are worth considering. If the consideration is solely value based, then that's a difficult question to answer. Attending Head-Fi meets in your area (take a look at the meets subforum) to try different gear can help answer the value question since it is highly subjective and personal.

Ranting about prices of Grado headphones outside the US is not a new topic. You're best bet is to buy a used headphone from a person outside the UK and EU willing to ship to the UK.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Keep an eye on the For Sale Forum here. Used Grados turn up regularly and you should be able to get someone to ship you a pair.

Another option is Alessandro. I believe their prices are the same for everyone (in USD) and they ship worldwide. Considering the exchange rate, a MS-2i might be a good deal.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 10
It might be worth you considering Alessandro headphones which are based on Grado's but have a much fairer, and more reasonable, pricing policy and ship to the UK. I have a pair of MS1's and love them particularly when you consider they cost less than SR-60's.

Andy

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 10
As a fellow EU person, I would definitely recommend buying Grados used from the For Sale forums here if you are looking for a pair.
Even with the international shipping and possible customs fees, you will most likely end up paying less in the end.

Buying used headphones isn't much of an issue here as long as you buy from people with good feedback and get a set in good condition, I think that most of us take very good care of our gear.

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 10
It sounds like you'd like the Alessandro MS 1's - grado signature but a bit darker and not so 'in-your-face (sound terrific after about 50 hours of buen-in). And they can be had direct from the Alessandro site for $99.00 which includes shipping anywhere on the planet. They are a tad better in SQ than the $160 Grado 125's

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 10
In case you are curious, there is some info regarding European pricing of Grados in the interview with John Grado sticky thread. I can't remember exactly why, but I believe it is something about finding distributors and the such. The bottom line is that Grado's are roughly 2x as expensive overseas. If you want to pick some up, buy used on the forums here.

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Grado prices here in Europe are hilarious, especially compared to the US ones. 2 - 2 1/2 times the price, for a new 'phone, is quite normal.
An option is to buy used, from the FS Forum. Or find one of the few US stores that are willing to export Grado...

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back