Grado Pad Preferences
Feb 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #33 of 56
reverse bowls on rs-1's, bowls on the hp-2's, flats on the ps-1's (for the nutty bass).

I find it difficult as it depends on the headphones. I prefer flats on the 225's and 325i's, bowls on the 325 (black).

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #34 of 56
I have been using flats on my RS-1's, but miss the excitement of the bowls. And all of you
very_evil_smiley.gif
bowl users are making me want to go back and be amazed at what bowls can do no matter what the pain level will be.

Flats really deflate the highs (negative), but expose the midrange (very positive), but kill the soundstage, detail and focus that the bowls give you. So... Bowls

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #35 of 56
I love my flats on the RS-1's. I keep trying the bowls but it just sounds hollow to me with no emotion. I'll keep trying the bowls though but right now its flats all the way
rs1smile.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #36 of 56
I wish Headphile's C-Pads had been included in the poll, because that's the only thing I can really enjoy Grados with, and it's what's on my HF-1's...

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #38 of 56
stock bowls with RS-1s. I don't find the need to change anything. I am very happy with the sound.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #40 of 56
Wow -- am I really the first to post a preference for reverse-modded Senn 414 pads? I used em with my SR-80s & now with HF-1s. I've posted elsewhere that the bowls just don't fit my little ears, with the result that the screen of the drivers sits directly against the skin of my ears -- quite uncomfortable. I haven't yet tried flats, but from descriptions I've read, I fear the same fit problem. Based on all the gushing, I kinda wish I could tolerate the bowls, but I really like the comfort of the 414s, so I'm quite happy with my setup.

Tom

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #41 of 56
bowls for HF-1

reverse bowls are very uncomfortable for me

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #42 of 56
Flats for me.

I couldn't believe the difference when changing from bowls to flats on my 225's. Bass much improved in weight and the treble is less bright and much more pleasant to my ears. Much less fatiguing. I thought the 225's were OK with bowls, but changing to flats I use them arguably more than my 650's now. Night and day difference and better on the whole IMHO. Main downside is it can sound muddy on some recordings as commonly refered to on these forums but for me the pro's outway the con's.

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #45 of 56
SR-225 with reversed, electrical taped bowls. The electrical tape covers nearly the entire circumferance in width, resulting in great, punchy bass even down low without sacrificing the crystalline highs and Grado signature mids. Before I reversed and taped the bowls, I already recognized the SR-225 as a killer headphone. However, there was something missing from the low end, and I wanted more impact. After modding, they're exactly what I was looking for to compliment my HD650.

And if I ever change my mind, electrical tape comes off without any mess at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back