Grado Owners, would you be so kind
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

HiFiBoi

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm currently seriously considering buying either a pair of 325i's or some rs1's but I live in Seoul and can't find a stockist to try them out. I have owned a pair of 80's and loved them then I bought a pair of AKG k701's. I am thinking of wearing them outdoors a little but I don't want to look a complete tool. I realise I will any way, but I can bare quite a lot before it forces me to give in.

So, after much googling, I'm finding it very hard to get pictures of people wearing the higher end models. If any of you have pictures of yorself wearing either 325's rs2's or rs1's could you please post a pic so that I can see what I may be letting myself in for? Also if you are crazy like me and wear them outdoors, how does the audiophobe world treat you?

Please be brave.

Thanks

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 38
3926105441_aa5e725d57_b.jpg

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 38
^ Good God, that doesn't look creepy at all.

And by "outdoors," do you mean "walking around in public with them"? If so, then you'd best be off with IEMs, or earbuds like the Yuin PK3.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 38
If I use wigs, I'd get a plain white mannequin head with no facial features. At least I can doodle funny faces on it when I'm bored..

I couldn't imagine myself waking up in the middle of the night for washroom break and the first thing I see is that face looking straight at me (try shining some light to it, works 10x better if its shined upwards from the chin down). I'd **** my pants and lose my bladder control.. Simultaneously
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 38
hahaha, i WISH that creepy thing was mine.

it's from a guy in the For Sale section. i might be buying those 325's and if i do im gonna ask him to throw in the mannequin head. i have to have it.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 38
With a bit more make up I would probably look a bit like that. I already own some se530's so I'm convered on the IEM front, I'm after some full sized headphones for indoor and light stroll use i.e. for half an hour wondering about or when I sleep out etc...

Preferably I will be getting the rs1's but the wood is a bit of an issue for outdoor use.

more pics would be appreciated

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 38
i think the woodies would look sillier.

none of them would be a big deal sitting at Starbucks or something. but yeah, i could see being a bit uncomfortable walking around.

once i build my Grado franken-mannequin-monster I will take some pics.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 38
If you're also walking your Doberman at the same time - nobody would notice what headphones you're wearing.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 38
Unless you're looking for a representation of the appearance of the wood or metal on the RS1/2 or 325, then all Grados will fit the same.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 38
Personally, I think any of the models that have the housings that stick out are difficult to wear outdoors. (Now with the 'i' versions all of them are like that) I tried wearing my 325i's out once before and I swear everyone I walked by looked at me. I didn't think anything of it until I came back home and looked in the mirror. The headphones are pretty flashy with their gold finish and they stick out like 4cm on both sides of your head. I would expect all Grados to be like that (now at least). From a side view or an angled view, they don't look that bad, but from straight on and from behind they look pretty big.

SR225i and down probably won't be as bas since they're black and dont stand out as much, but I personally think they're still a bit of a stretch to wear in public. I've worn my SR80's in public without having everyone turn their heads at me. Those have a much lower profile though.

It's up to you though. I've gone away from Grados as portables, especially since they leak a lot of sound. Although, I do find myself sporting my (now girlfriend's) SR80's outdoors once in a blue moon.

I don't have any pictures of myself wearing my 325i's, but you might have better luck looking at the meet pictures threads. You might be able to find a good pictures of someone wearing some higher end Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back