Grado or Alessandro?
Oct 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Ninkul

500+ Head-Fier
Well, i've been wanting to pick up a pair of Grados for a while now and I heard my friends' modded SR60i's which I was -fully- impressed. I now understand why theres such a following here for their very nice sound signiature. I've been finding it much easier & cheaper to bang at Alessandro's since its $109 for their MS-1i's shipped to New Zealand. I hear they're a lot flatter sounding without as much colouration.. Would you say they retain a fair amount of the colouration that Grado can's have or should I bang at a Grado pair?

Edit:

TLDR:
I got Alessandro MS-1i's instead of Grado SR-80i's
I found the bass bloated
I ordered bowls
I burnt in 70~80 hours, minimal (none?) change
I received bowls, they sounded a buttload better
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 42
I have directly compared the MS-1 to the SR-125 and there is no question that the MS-1 is a better can. The MS-1 uses the SR-q125 transducers and are "tweaked" for Alessandro.

The MS-1 also responds very well to mods like driver damping and also the MS-1000 (do a search on this) mod which is pretty remarkable and does not work well on Grados.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 42
The MS1 isn't flatter, just smoother. It's still the Grado sound though.

One of the potential turn offs of the lower end Grado's is a harsh treble; some find it bright and clear, for others it's too much.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 42
Alessandro MS-1(i) is the way to go. It's like a refined version of the Grado SR-60/80/125 line of cans. Definitely better than any of those three and, honestly, competes rather well with the SR-225.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 42
i can get you a good price on some grados (place i work sells them)

Just let me know! (Im in Auckland BTW)

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 42
fair nough, if you know anyone wanting some let me know tho.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 42
Decided to order some MS-1i's

NZD is doing well and USD is doing badly. Good times
smily_headphones1.gif

But... I'll post again when I get them, just in case someone wants to make a similar comparison and stumbles upon this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 42
Good to hear, NinKul! You will like if not love your new 'phones. Next step: picking up some L-cushion bowl pads (same as on the SR-125i's and up in the Grado line). They open up the soundstage a bit and improve the treble. Alessandros are less forward in the highs than the signature Grado sound, so allowing the treble to hit the ear without obstruction, imo, is an improvement. Cheers!
happy_face1.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 42
I would disregard iphone3g's comment above, NinKul. He is clearly out of his depth, no pun intended.
wink.gif
MS-1(i)'s have plenty of bass, but certainly not as much as, say, a pair of Beats or Bose Triports, which it appears, this thread flamer covets. Why is it that people think headphones are only very good if they have gratuitous amounts of bloated bass? There are clearly so many more important reference points to judge a good headphone by.
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 42
I agree with Sampson, after listening to the SR125, they have very punchy bass, quite good. I wouldn't be too upset with the MS1 unless you are true basshead. I listen to wide variety of music, MS1 should do well.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #13 of 42
Well, upon first impressions... I'm finding the MS-1i's lower midrange (I think thats what you call it.. 100hz~500hz, or about there) a bit overwhelming. I'm currently listening through just a Meier Audio CORDA 3MOVE and i'm finding the sound friendlier playing with the EQ (dipping it around there a bit). Perhaps I should've gone with Grado instead :p lol. Ah well, I ordered some bowl pads that should arrive next week. We'll see how things go with those.

Other than that, no complaints
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Quite good for Drum n Bass. Although, still the same problem as above i feel
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, upon first impressions... I'm finding the MS-1i's lower midrange (I think thats what you call it.. 100hz~500hz, or about there) a bit overwhelming. I'm currently listening through just a Meier Audio CORDA 3MOVE and i'm finding the sound friendlier playing with the EQ (dipping it around there a bit). Perhaps I should've gone with Grado instead :p lol. Ah well, I ordered some bowl pads that should arrive next week. We'll see how things go with those.

Other than that, no complaints
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Quite good for Drum n Bass. Although, still the same problem as above i feel
tongue.gif

where did you get them, the price sounds nice, i live in auckland.. grados r so expensive here...

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milford302009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you get them, the price sounds nice, i live in auckland.. grados r so expensive here...

The official website. They claim shipping takes up to 3 weeks but it got here in a week and a half or so.

I'm sure there are some stores around Auckland that have Grados in-store that will let you listen to them. Probably kinda hard to find though.. I've only seen one store in Welly that stocks headphones (other than the usual Sennheisers).

They were $150 shipped
Alessandro High-End Products

Only thing i didn't like was the lack of tracking (suppose thats what you get for free postage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back