Grado or Alessandro?
Nov 5, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #31 of 42
I'd definitely be interested and know one or two others that would be glad to join. Would be good to meet some of the local head-fi'ers and whatnot.
Although, inventory isn't exactly the greatest for me
tongue.gif
-my friends have quite a collection

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right, of course. I don't know about Grado's international pricing policies, although the stickied interview seems to differ from your assessment.

Grado controls international prices to some degree. While their wholesale prices may well be competitive ex USA, freight, customs, taxes, and the cost of stocking them for a very small market means our dealers can't buy them at very good prices, and they add a big wedge to make it worthwhile.

When you factor in that NZ and Aus only have 2 dealers for the whole continent - you're not going to get a good deal locally. I got a pair of barely used demo RS2 for $375 while in LA. The Melbourne dealer wants nearly $900 for them.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #36 of 42
Comfies really do these cans no justice.. Bowls definitely sound better but i still dont like the lower midrange so much.

I conclude that the MS-1i are excellent Drum & Bass (some electronic genre) headphones :p

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #38 of 42
I do think that the MS-1(i) offers a touch more bass than the SR-125. The MS-1i is also comparable to the SR-225 in terms of bass, but I haven't heard the respective non-"i"/"i" versions of each for comparison.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do think that the MS-1(i) offers a touch more bass than the SR-125. The MS-1i is also comparable to the SR-225 in terms of bass, but I haven't heard the respective non-"i"/"i" versions of each for comparison.

Again thank you for your help mate, you are a legend. I will have a ponder. Really like the look of the MS-1's but I don't want to be disappointed with the bass and have to sell them on. Do they have more bass than the Sennheiser cx95 or cx550 in ears do you know? For in ears they have great bass response.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #40 of 42
What you have to appreciate is these are open cans; they won't have more bass than canals, and it won't be weak, but it will be more natural and better reproduced.

you don't get slabs of bass with good phones, particularly open ones.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #41 of 42
The bass is natural and impactful with the MS-1i's using cups. With comfies (stock) and HD414 pads both, the bass is further extended, but at the sacrifice of soundstage. Luckily, as they are less aggressive than regular Grados, the treble doesn't burn a hole in your eardrum by being closer in. For genres like hip-hop and pop, this lack of soundstage isn't a big deal as the production is sparse if not rather good (i.e. placement will still be reasonable, as will detail). Mind you, these headphones kill it dead with rock and other guitar-based formats. I prefer them with cups (L-cushions) and can't wait to do the MS-1000 conversion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back