Grado Model Comparison: 60 v 80 v MS-1
Mar 26, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh, I felt like my LOD helped drastically more than the E5 did. Then again, I don't go anywhere near maxed out volume on the E5, as that would take my head off.

The Zune doesn't use a LOD, only 3.5 jack. And, if I don't have my E5 volume above 75%, then it's softer than the Zune itself.

Without going over $100, is there a portable amp that will give me a fair to significant improvement over the E5?

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune doesn't use a LOD, only 3.5 jack. And, if I don't have my E5 volume above 75%, then it's softer than the Zune itself.

Without going over $100, is there a portable amp that will give me a fair to significant improvement over the E5?

yes, a used mini3 can be had for shy of $100 and is hugely superior. A 9V cmoy will also be a significant improvement.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, a used mini3 can be had for shy of $100 and is hugely superior. A 9V cmoy will also be a significant improvement.

OP again here, after this E5 purchase (if I can tell the difference - which I am sure I will be able to), I may go up to a DIY CMoy (being an electrical engineering student is awesome... free op-amps/components!)

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 25
Making a Cmoy might not only improve SQ but it's a fun project overall
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd say go for it

And since you do electrical engineering, I'm sure after that Cmoy you'll probably want to look into the higher end DIY stuff like millet minimaxes and sohas, hehe. I'm actually waiting on a couple of mini^3 kits myself..

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making a Cmoy might not only improve SQ but it's a fun project overall
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd say go for it

And since you do electrical engineering, I'm sure after that Cmoy you'll probably want to look into the higher end DIY stuff like millet minimaxes and sohas, hehe. I'm actually waiting on a couple of mini^3 kits myself..

I noticed you're selling a cmoy, so I'll consider buying that and making myself a millet minimax too. Jaycar has some great valves locally, if a little expensive (compared to overseas though so...)

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Check out the CTH too. Looks awesome and kits are available
biggrin.gif

Ever hear one compared to the SS Mini Millet Hybrid?
More power, better sound, or same, or no?

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

I haven't yet... got a CTH kit coming to me very soon
evil_smiley.gif

Woot!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back