Grado mod idea - HD280 pads?
Jul 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

that Linux guy

New Head-Fier
Finances and the lack of finding a Grado dealer in my area have kept me from picking up a set of Grado SR-80s or 125s, but I'm still very interested. I've heard from a lot of people here and elsewhere that the stock bowl pads aren't comfortable at all, and I have headphones on all the time.

Ok, so we've all seen Grados with those adapters that allow them to use AKG and BeyerDynamic pads, right? Well, what if one were to fashion a different shaped adapter for the pads from the Senn. HD-280s?

I've looked a bit and can't seem to find how the C-pad thing attaches to the original Grado ear pieces. Does it screw, or does it replace the whole ear peice with the Grado drivers? Sure, I could fit the HD280 pads to the Grado earpieces with some ghetto method, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Any ideas?

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 11
No idea man. I had so much difficulty the one time I tried taking off and replacing my earpads on the HD280s that I'd never want to do it again.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Yeah, After 2 years, the pads on the right are starting to rip from that stretchy stuff (for lack of the right word) that holds the pad to the ear peice.

I 've been looking at getting a set of Grado SR-125s and I was looking at the custom earpeices others have made. I was thinking of making my own out of wood, and making it so that the Sennheiser pads fit, instead of the circular Grado pads. I've heard so many mixed reviews about the Grado pads being uncomfortable, and no one around me has any. The nearest place that has a set I can demo is over 2 hours away
frown.gif

On the Grado cans, does the pad attach directly to the earpiece, or does it fit on some other piece of the ear piece?

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by that Linux guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, After 2 years, the pads on the right are starting to rip from that stretchy stuff (for lack of the right word) that holds the pad to the ear peice.

I 've been looking at getting a set of Grado SR-125s and I was looking at the custom earpeices others have made. I was thinking of making my own out of wood, and making it so that the Sennheiser pads fit, instead of the circular Grado pads. I've heard so many mixed reviews about the Grado pads being uncomfortable, and no one around me has any. The nearest place that has a set I can demo is over 2 hours away
frown.gif

On the Grado cans, does the pad attach directly to the earpiece, or does it fit on some other piece of the ear piece?

It slips loosely yet securely to a little notch or ring that goes around the bottom of the "puck" that holds the driver. It's easy to slip on and off, but holds nicely so won't fall off when you listen.

I find Grado pads comfortable at best and not uncomfortable at worst. It has a bit to do with the weight of the phones- my SR325is (being heavy metal
biggrin.gif
) are the least comfortable Grados I've worn, but I can still wear them for an hour or two, depending on circumstances. Also, Grados get more comfy as you wear them and the earpads soften and headband conforms to your head. My 325is were almost insufferably tight and painful in the first five hours I wore them.

Also one thing to consider before pad mods is that a great deal of the Grado sound come from the pads. Bowls sound different from SR60 comfies, flats and GS1000 oversized pads.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea man. I had so much difficulty the one time I tried taking off and replacing my earpads on the HD280s that I'd never want to do it again.
tongue.gif

I really understand what you went thru
wink.gif
I think 280's better stay on their own from now on and forever more...

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Kinda like this?

1216874768-ms1-pad-mod-small-48kb.jpg

1216874619-ms1-pad-mod-234-small-.jpg-61kb.jpg

They're not completely circumaural like the HD280's... They're made from the TDK MP100 headphone pads and qaurter modded comfy's. I just kinda stuck the MP100 pads over the top... Alot cheaper than the C-Pads. I didn't like the sound though so they weren't used much.

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda like this?

1216874768-ms1-pad-mod-small-48kb.jpg

1216874619-ms1-pad-mod-234-small-.jpg-61kb.jpg

They're not completely circumaural like the HD280's... They're made from the TDK MP100 headphone pads and qaurter modded comfy's. I just kinda stuck the MP100 pads over the top... Alot cheaper than the C-Pads. I didn't like the sound though so they weren't used much.

Nice, nice mod
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, how was the sound affected.. I think if the Grado's become circumaural, they lose their special spark.. I know people selling their circumaural GS1000's and finding true love in their relatively-cheaper (not sound quality wise) RS-1's
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 11
Everyone I've talked to has upgraded their Grado pads to the flat ones. I even listened to Grados with flats and they are the way to go IMO.

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 11
But the bowls have their advantages as well... They give you that tiny soundstage that the Grado's may offer..

Anyway, you gotta try them yourself and decide everyone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back