Grado Liberators... worth it?
Nov 6, 2006 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

manstretch

100+ Head-Fier
I searched for "liberator" and only found a handful of replies about these. I've got a pair of the gold 325is on the way and was wondering if these would be a worthwhile purchase. Do they increase/decrease bass/mids/treble? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by manstretch
I searched for "liberator" and only found a handful of replies about these. I've got a pair of the gold 325is on the way and was wondering if these would be a worthwhile purchase. Do they increase/decrease bass/mids/treble? Thanks.

i am also interested in this

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 35
i'm a fan. i put them on my SR225s and never took them off. i found that they added just a bit of soundstage but didn't negatively affect the SQ. without them i didn't like listening to electronic (ambient and downtempo stuff) at all. with them, they gave enough air so i didn't mind this genre on them. no - my grados still aren't the ones i go to when i want to listen to my electronic stuff but if i'm listening to a variety of music i now don't have to switch.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 35
Just want to double that.
Please do a search of they will fit on 325 model, I am not sure of that. But if they do, you will love it.
Send the e-mail to those guys.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 35
Big fan here too, but I've probally allready said enough about them if you did a search.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 35
When I ordered mine, Dark Audio sent me a pic (attached) of the Liberators with some damping material installed.

[B]Dark Audio:[/B]
"I attached 2 fabric rings as dampers. The use it optional, however, adviced.
You should stick them inside the channel if you find them good for the
sound.

I am sending photos how they look and the frequency response curves.
They soften grado's peaks. Peaks, even small, cause resonnances and
unnatural sounding in the range they occur."

I'd have uploaded the freq response curves, but the .jpg files are too large.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 35
Read up on them awhile back but I didn't really pay much attention to them, I was pretty content with the sound coming from my MS1s.

But now, they are starting to look at bit interesting. I just can't make up my mind though, whether to climb the ladder, or exhaust all possibilities on my MS-1.
confused.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 35
Hi

I'm a newbie in Head-Fi and just got my MS-2 recently and wonder if the Dark-Audio Liberator fits these cans. Anyone MS-users with liberator can share experience? And how's the SQ with this combination?

Any input appreciated.
Malcolm

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 35
Wow I did not know these thing existed...so essentially it turns Grados into circumaural cans?

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I ordered mine, Dark Audio sent me a pic (attached) of the Liberators with some damping material installed.

[B]Dark Audio:[/B]
"I attached 2 fabric rings as dampers. The use it optional, however, adviced.
You should stick them inside the channel if you find them good for the
sound.

I am sending photos how they look and the frequency response curves.
They soften grado's peaks. Peaks, even small, cause resonnances and
unnatural sounding in the range they occur."

I'd have uploaded the freq response curves, but the .jpg files are too large.

Sign in www.photobucket.com
and upload your pictures there. Then copy-paste the links here.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I did not know these thing existed...so essentially it turns Grados into circumaural cans?

Nope. What they do is add distance between your ears and the drivers. It is essentially a plastic spacer. I like it's effects and have left them on my SR225s ever since installing them. They add a bit of air to the sound and increase the soundstage a bit without taking away the Grado sound sig.

If you want something to turn your Grados into circumaural cans, try Larry's C-Pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back