Grado IGI review
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nocooler

New Head-Fier
There isn't much info about the IGI on head-fi - so I figured I'd make a post.

At work I needed closed headphones which led me to M50's - they isolate fairly well, and sound good - but the "Grado" sound I have grown to love wasn't there. The M50's bore me with their laid back mids, and left me wanting something more fun to listen to.

IEM's aren't my typically my thing, but getting Grado sound in a sealed headphone just isn't going to happen - so I looked at Grado's IEM line up. The IGI fit my budget - so I ordered it.

Quality - they are generic housing with a cheap feeling cable, no surprise there.
Accessories  - they come with quite a few different tips, no carrying case - but once again no surprise.
Isolation - better than the M50's but could be better. At low volumes I can still hear the surrounding environment.
Sound - here is where they shine. I wasn't looking for the best IEM in this price range, I wanted Grado sound - and Grado sound they have. I don't know how they did it - but they sound open, airy, and just rock.

No amp needed for these either, they are very efficient.

Overall - you want Grado sound with isolation and no leakage, look no further - buy them.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Thanks.  Looking for a good pair of IEM's for work.  No need for sound isolation and I like my Grado phones at home so these seem like good candidates at an exceptionally good price.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 11
I bought a pair of iGIs because of the great customer service Grado provides. These are a different monster, coming in 4 different classes of isolation sleeves. I have tried the small canal type that bodes well in my ears. The sound is very different. I noticed a flat mono midrange in these grados that does not goes away. It' s very distinct to the iGis that it separates itself from the grado's on-ear stuff. Second they take a long time to break-on, more than 50 hours is the recommended time. Finally, the retail price is steep for a pair of basic IEMs, with $89.00. They don't come with an iPhone button, nor a carrying case . However, it's their customer service that makes them worth buying. If anything happens to them , just ship them to Brooklyn, NY and they will fix them and any grado headsets you may have. To conclude this review, here are my thoughts. 
 Sound: 3 out of 5 

Construction: 3 out of 5

Customer service: 5 out of 5. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 11
 A change of view. The igis need a long break-in period for the mono midrange to become very good stereo. Once done, I really like the lows and the fluid midrange. Highs are there, but not detail enough where you can distinguish the various cymbals Peart plays.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Bought these yesterday. I'm really surprised by the sound. Airy, subtle, very smooth, but little laid back (especially mid-lows) for my taste, as you said it needs to break-in. Sound is very open for IEMs, but sometimes highs are not so detailed as I expected. I'll wait a week and write my opinion again on these.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 11
if you can fit double flange tips perfactly, you are not able to hear almost all of noise. but its bit hard to get it fit.

I just got them today and I'd say Best IEM under200~250USD for Metal music.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 11

At work I needed closed headphones which led me to M50's - they isolate fairly well, and sound good - but the "Grado" sound I have grown to love wasn't there. The M50's bore me with their laid back mids, and left me wanting something more fun to listen to.

IEM's aren't my typically my thing, but getting Grado sound in a sealed headphone just isn't going to happen - so I looked at Grado's IEM line up. The IGI fit my budget - so I ordered it.

Quality - they are generic housing with a cheap feeling cable, no surprise there.
Accessories  - they come with quite a few different tips, no carrying case - but once again no surprise.
Isolation - better than the M50's but could be better. At low volumes I can still hear the surrounding environment.
Sound - here is where they shine. I wasn't looking for the best IEM in this price range, I wanted Grado sound - and Grado sound they have. I don't know how they did it - but they sound open, airy, and just rock.

Overall - you want Grado sound with isolation and no leakage, look no further - buy them.

I listen to them now on a TeacUD-H01 and with Music from Iva Bittova,and a burn inn time of 70 hours, all I can say superb and for the Money, 89 Euro in Germany a bargain, even if not the greatest look , but Grado did not save on Sound, and that is what matters in the end.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 11

Just picked up a set of these. They are a fun set of IEM's, not the most neutral, but have the grado house sound and a suprising amount of air. I have a couple sets of IEM's that are more neutral and give you more midrange and hi end detail (Etymotic ER4PR Shure SE535) but for fun casual listening these are hard to beat for the price.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Love my iGis. After the tips break in they are super comfortable and sound great. I'm not a rich man, so I can't afford any headset or iem over $100 generally, and these are way better than most of the cheap over ear headphones I've ever used other than the JVC HA-RX 700. Those sound different, but probably just as good. New here. Just picking up terminology lol.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Love my iGis. After the tips break in they are super comfortable and sound great. I'm not a rich man, so I can't afford any headset or iem over $100 generally, and these are way better than most of the cheap over ear headphones I've ever used other than the JVC HA-RX 700. Those sound different, but probably just as good. New here. Just picking up terminology lol.
you won't find any better at this price point , I have them too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back