grado hp1 vs hp2 vs hp3
May 18, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone tell me which one of them will produce the best sound?
and how do you think about their price? which one will be more expensive? thanks

1.) The first question is directly relative to what your ears would like to hear best.

2.) They are very expensive, mainly because they are not in production anymore, and have the sound of the last-generation Grado,which is thought to be more neutral than what is offered today (I totally agree to that), but still has the same present-day Grado hint about it.

3.) Beats me, but I can't justify spending over $1000-$2000 (yes, that is around how much they go for each) on a headphone yet, and probably never will because my girlfriend has managed to knock overall sense into me over the past two years.
tongue.gif

May 18, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

thanks everyone, I did some search on the forum and found out that the hp1 and hp2 sound kind of the same. Hp3 is a little better and is very rare

really? that's not what I've gathered from my reading.

From information gleaned from these forums this is what I know:

The HP-1 and HP-2 use the same quality of drivers, but the HP-1 has polarity switches.

The HP-3 is said to use lesser closely matched drivers that didn't make the cut for HP-1s and HP-2s. They are rarer because there were less made.

Some believe that due to the extra wiring used for the polarity switches, the HP-2 is actually the best sounding HP1000.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the above is accurate and true.

May 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 9
X 2 !

May 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? that's not what I've gathered from my reading.

From information gleaned from these forums this is what I know:

The HP-1 and HP-2 use the same quality of drivers, but the HP-1 has polarity switches.

The HP-3 is said to use lesser closely matched drivers that didn't make the cut for HP-1s and HP-2s. They are rarer because there were less made.

Some believe that due to the extra wiring used for the polarity switches, the HP-2 is actually the best sounding HP1000.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the above is accurate and true.

As d-cee stated I know of this "The HP-1 and HP-2 use the same quality of drivers, but the HP-1 has polarity switches".

I also heard this as well as d-cee mentioned, "Some believe that due to the extra wiring used for the polarity switches, the HP-2 is actually the best sounding HP1000.".

I'm not sure about this statement though, but I bet it is in HF somewhere, "The HP-3 is said to use lesser closely matched drivers that didn't make the cut for HP-1s and HP-2s. They are rarer because there were less made".

If someone could confirm the above. Thanks.

May 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

thanks everyone, I did some search on the forum and found out that the hp1 and hp2 sound kind of the same. Hp3 is a little better and is very rare

Hmmm, thats strange. Since I were under the impression that the HP3 don't have a close matched drivers as the HP1 and HP2. They are rare though, because there were only made 50 or so pairs.

Here are the short description, from what I know:
HP1 -> Same close matched drivers as the HP2. With an additional polarity switch.
HP2 -> Same close matched drivers as the HP1.
HP3 -> Same drivers as the HP1 and HP2, but not as close matched.

Beware that there are 3 or 4 different cables for them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back