Grado HP-1000 vs PS-1
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #52 of 67
Hey, I said I thought the HP-2 lacks details and isn't as clear-sounding, not that I wanted to sell it.
biggrin.gif

Both are quite uncomfortable to wear for me. I can't stand the PS-1's combination of irritating bowl pads and weight for more than 15 minutes. Just enough time for a couple of songs. The HP-2's flat pads are much more comfortable, but I prefer the PS-1's sound with bowl pads.

They're both heavy compared to the RS-1 or GS1000. The HP-2's headband is stiff and not as easy to bend as other Grados. It makes the entire headphone inflexible and the only areas with any adjustment are the rods to extend the driver housings.

When I put on the HP-2, it feels like I'm putting on a metal mini-helmet of some kind.

I'm afraid to touch the lettering and have to be extra careful handling it. I know the HP1000 series is supposed to have super build quality, but because of that lettering I end up handling it more carefully than any other headphone.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid to touch the lettering and have to be extra careful handling it. I know the HP1000 series is supposed to have super build quality, but because of that lettering I end up handling it more carefully than any other headphone.

"Whew, whew, whew..." [sound of me blowing the dust off this old thread]

Anybody ever tried to protect the delicate HP1000 lettering with something like clear coat or lacquer?

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Whew, whew, whew..." [sound of me blowing the dust off this old thread]

Anybody ever tried to protect the delicate HP1000 lettering with something like clear coat or lacquer?

I'm just very careful and don't touch the lettering. It's worked so far.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #56 of 67
Well, I am a design whore, as some have said about me. With that out of the way I believe that the HP1000 is the most beautiful headphone ever made. It is the ground zero of headphones. How do you improve upon the design of a spoon? That is how minimal and how form-follows-function is with the HP1000. Add to the fact that they are some of the finest sounding headphones Grado ever made and that they are no longer in production, this is a no brainer for me. I have not heard the PS-1's but I do not like the plastic tabs on them at all. I have plasticphobia, especially for headphones costing more than a months rent. To find a mint condiition HP1000 without the polarity switch and all the silkscreened letters in place would be a dream come true. Oh, I think a coating of Renaissance Wax would protect the letters from rubbing off, by the way.

Check out this poll:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...p-poll-407971/

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a coating of Renaissance Wax would protect the letters from rubbing off

How apropos, considering the HP1000 are worthy of being museum pieces.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #59 of 67
Hp2, in my opinion is the very best cans ever made and my hp2is is the very best hp2 to date, with the Goldmund hda amplifier you are in Paradise!!! I had the ps1 but I did not liked them... Not a production of the big Joseph Grado!!!

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #60 of 67
Thank you for your answer Nicolo! I know, HP-1000 is great headphones (i have HP-1), but, on the basis that I read, PS-1 maybe slightly better for my basic musical preference - rock and metal (not sure however) As far as I know, PS-1 have deeper bass (and slightly better extension hight), but i'm not basshead. First of all interests me midrange - electric guitars and vocal. How do you compare midrange between HP-1000 and PS-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back