Grado (High End) Advice
Dec 17, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's something I picked up but can't cite the source. b0dhi seems to have a tighter grasp on this subject. I mentioned it in the context of daveDerek's comment that the GS1Ks seem to have greater "unit to unit variability" compared to other cans. That is, the human factor may account for the variation. But I don't think you ought to base your decision on this alone. In a way, high end headphones are like quality instruments, and what makes them stand out from the crowd may be the artisan's hand and ear.

This is something that's surprised me about this hobby. I assumed that headphones in the class of GS1000s and above all sounded pretty much the same, with maybe some small differences in sound between them, but nothing overt. Much to my surprise, this isn't the case. I've heard 2 different GS1k from the same batch in the same system which sounded very different. One of them (my friend's) had sucked out midrange and a lot more treble compared to my own.

More recently I heard 3 different Taket H2s in my system. I own two sets of H2 drivers which I've compared extensively, and I've also heard a third set. One has very sweet mids and increased upper treble, another has very sucked out mids and neutral treble, and another had neutral sound but with more treble on the right side speaker than the left side.

I think maybe the differences in opinion between some people liking the GS and others calling it crap might be partly due to this variation in sound between units.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think maybe the differences in opinion between some people liking the GS and others calling it crap might be partly due to this variation in sound between units.

This may be true. If so it doesn't say much about Grado's driver matching or quality control.
The one I tried certainly had a sucked out midrange to my ears and recabling etc by Headphile didn't seem to improve it.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #34 of 47
Don't consider the GS1000's unless you plan to do some serious source and amp searching. Either move up the Grado lineup, starting with 80's or 225's, or pickup some RS-2's with some immediate source/amp upgrades in mind.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mentioned it in the context of daveDerek's comment that the GS1Ks seem to have greater "unit to unit variability" compared to other cans.

actually what i said is that grado seems to have greater unit to unit variability based on my experience of comparing rs-1s and rs-2s although at the last sizeable mini-meet at my house (see: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/ny...i-meet-247173/) we did compare the pre-production gs-1ks to a set of production gs-1ks and the differences were smaller than one might have thought going into it (given the threads about how the preproduction ones sounded different, and better, than the production cans).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Grado made all of their cans the same way since they started. Aren't all of them tested individually too?

john grado says that current rs-1s are the same as the originals, but side by side comparisions show differences in sound. perhaps as the wood ages it changes the sound?

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually what i said is that grado seems to have greater unit to unit variability based on my experience of comparing rs-1s and rs-2s although at the last sizeable mini-meet at my house (see: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/ny...i-meet-247173/) we did compare the pre-production gs-1ks to a set of production gs-1ks and the differences were smaller than one might have thought going into it (given the threads about how the preproduction ones sounded different, and better, than the production cans).

Actually, this is what you said: "one thing to keep in mind with grados is there seems to be a greater amount of unit to unit variability than with other manufacturers. at least that was the finding when i, along with other h-fers, have compared various woody grados side by side on a number of occasions."

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #37 of 47
I think if you are addicted to Grado sounding, just go ahead with RS1, you can't be wrong with it. As for GS1k, the sound signature isn't that "grado-ish". You may lost interested in your former experience in Grados.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #38 of 47
2 BIG TIMES here, just buy SR80.

High end phones means high end amp as well, imo.

And for people who base their opinion about GS1000 using with wrong set up, just try them with the right one and then we will talk.

And Grado RA1 amp is nothing but an good looking, fancy thing. RS1 sound o.k. with it, but GS1000 isn't sound at all. Tiny, lifeless sound with no midrange at all.
All high end Grado's need tubes, imo.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't consider the GS1000's unless you plan to do some serious source and amp searching. Either move up the Grado lineup, starting with 80's or 225's, or pickup some RS-2's with some immediate source/amp upgrades in mind.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #39 of 47
Ohh great, its going from place to place. Ok I finally filtered it to RS-2 or wait for GS1000s. But so many mixed reviews are slightly bothering me. If I want to go for GS1000s then I need to wait for sometime as I need to save a lot for these. Does anyone consider PCMAG's reviews? He has raved GS1000s as the best headphone he has ever listened to.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't ever do that.
very_evil_smiley.gif
They are the worst hi-end headphones I have ever heard. Their trebles are one big fake, producing artifacts giving impression of details. After 10 minutes of using these headphones I feel half-deaf. Grado's all the way. It's enough to take SR325i to hear how K701's ass gets kicked. Grado sound realistic, AKG K701 sound "audiophilic". I recommend them for people 50 and more year old due to hearing loss in higher frequency region.

A little late in the thread, but I want to comment this because it matches 100% my own opinion. K701 are super-duper-hifi, with trebles that are "wow" at first glance, but fake later. String instrument, for example, have a extrange "metallic" quality that feels unnatural to me. Not to mention cymbals, brrrr... They are all sparks and splash, if you know what I mean.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #41 of 47
I do like my GS1000's a lot! What always really grabs me is the soundstage and the multiple layers of music and the detail. The GS1k's work extremely well with my Woo WA2, despite others saying they are not the best match in town. I am also finding they work very well with the EC/SS that I purchased recently. The EC/SS still needs more run time, but so far so good.

I bought my GS1ks as almost an impulse buy! I don't regret it, but as others have stated here, auditioning would be very wise. I tend too agree with some of the comments that GS1k's are not for everybody. I can understand where these comments come from.

My 0.02 worth.

cheers
Simon

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 47
RS2 is a great place to start. I hope to get some someday. You can always sell them here when you want to try some 1000's.There half the price too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohh great, its going from place to place. Ok I finally filtered it to RS-2 or wait for GS1000s. But so many mixed reviews are slightly bothering me. If I want to go for GS1000s then I need to wait for sometime as I need to save a lot for these. Does anyone consider PCMAG's reviews? He has raved GS1000s as the best headphone he has ever listened to.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little late in the thread, but I want to comment this because it matches 100% my own opinion. K701 are super-duper-hifi, with trebles that are "wow" at first glance, but fake later. String instrument, for example, have a extrange "metallic" quality that feels unnatural to me. Not to mention cymbals, brrrr... They are all sparks and splash, if you know what I mean.

Really have to dis-agree with that, specially the metallic strings as I don't hear any of that.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado (High End) Advice: Don't, AKG K701 instead; better sound, greater comfort
wink.gif

I have to support John's advice, though I admit I only put about 100 hours of listening time on mine, before I gave up and sold them.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do like my GS1000's a lot! What always really grabs me is the soundstage and the multiple layers of music and the detail. The GS1k's work extremely well with my Woo WA2, despite others saying they are not the best match in town. I am also finding they work very well with the EC/SS that I purchased recently. The EC/SS still needs more run time, but so far so good.

I bought my GS1ks as almost an impulse buy! I don't regret it, but as others have stated here, auditioning would be very wise. I tend too agree with some of the comments that GS1k's are not for everybody. I can understand where these comments come from.

My 0.02 worth.

cheers
Simon

Good, thoughtful comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back