Grado HF1 or Alessandro MS2
Nov 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

carpenter1

New Head-Fier
Hello, I can get these two headphones for about the same price ($300 Dlls), but I need some help deciding which ones to buy.
Has anybody compared these two side by side?

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 13
I always thought that MS-2's (and pretty much the other Alessandros) were considered not aggressive, compared to proper Grados, anyway.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 13
I follow you. On that note, I absolutely loved my SR-325is's. Amazing 'phones, if you are into the whole "fantastic treble and mid's" thing!
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 13
glad you like them, having auditioned them before they wouldn't be my first choice, maybe second or third if I had a more balanced headphones. On a side note, I am currently trying to acquire one of these HF series, either HF1 or HF2 for a good price.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 13
I owned MS2 and HF1 at the same time at some point. Both are good phones, but I slightly prefer MS2 (the old version before sr325i came out).

On the grand scheme of things, they aren't that different. Both are grados. MS2 sounds more extended at both ends of frequency spectrum. HF1 is warmer and has a more more relaxed presentation with looser (less well controlled?) bass. If you have a chance to buy both at the same price, i would recommend HF1 for its rarity.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 13
The MS2 and HF1 are of equal audio quality, and come down to a matter of taste. I've stated before that I consider them different sides of the same coin.

MS2 is slightly clinical and generally quite neutral... not in the same way as an HP2, but very balanced in tone and can be in some cases cold. Not in an unpleasant way at all, though.

The HF1 is warm where the MS2 is cold, and colored where the MS2 is neutral. These are fun, but if you don't like their particular coloration you're out of luck.

Of course in build and durability, the MS2 wins, but the HF1 is really quite interesting as a creation for the forum with unique history and limited numbers.

I wouldn't select either looking for soundstage. The RS1 is the only Grado of this style (AKA non GS1000) that has real depth and stage. As for jazz, it's largely a matter of taste. Both do very well with jazz. I'd pick the HF1 most of the time simply because of the warmth though.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 13
My vote goes for HF-1, even modded MS-2 sounded harsh to my ears. The only other Grado that sounded similar to HF-1s were modded 225s. Well to my ears and in this price bracket.

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 13
I thought HF-1s were great with jazz, but have such an amount of treble that I only liked them with amps that lacked harshness for this reason.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS2 and HF1 are of equal audio quality, and come down to a matter of taste. I've stated before that I consider them different sides of the same coin.

MS2 is slightly clinical and generally quite neutral... not in the same way as an HP2, but very balanced in tone and can be in some cases cold. Not in an unpleasant way at all, though.

The HF1 is warm where the MS2 is cold, and colored where the MS2 is neutral. These are fun, but if you don't like their particular coloration you're out of luck.

Of course in build and durability, the MS2 wins, but the HF1 is really quite interesting as a creation for the forum with unique history and limited numbers.

I wouldn't select either looking for soundstage. The RS1 is the only Grado of this style (AKA non GS1000) that has real depth and stage. As for jazz, it's largely a matter of taste. Both do very well with jazz. I'd pick the HF1 most of the time simply because of the warmth though.

I would love to get the RS1, but that's out of my price range. Are there any other options (about $300 Dlls) with a warm sound like the HF1 but with better soundstage?

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 13
HF-1 if you want less treble, MS-2 if you want more treble, HF-1 with flat pads if you want even less treble (my preference). Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back