Grado HF-1s Dead?!?!?
Nov 7, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You dropped by yourself? BRING A CAMERA!

I wouldn't want to seem fan boy-ish, John would of thought I was wierdo if I asked if i could take pictures of his office.
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
Yeah this thread is priceless, I remember a Beagle talking about how Grados were of excellent build quality
wink.gif

All jokes aside, there are ALOT of broken HF-1s already, more than I thought there would be, this is starting to be ridiculous now...

Yeah, 400 built and sold, 5 with problems? That's very ridiculous.

You are making assumptions that the phones were defective or poorly constructed at the time they arrived in the owners hands. How do we know what has actually transpired with the headphones since then? How do we know the phones have not been abused in some way? One more time, I've taken care of my Grado's and have not had any problems in 9 years (and 10 pairs).

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Yeah, 400 built and sold, 5 with problems? That's very ridiculous.

You are making assumptions that the phones were defective or poorly constructed at the time they arrived in the owners hands. How do we know what has actually transpired with the headphones since then? How do we know the phones have not been abused in some way? One more time, I've taken care of my Grado's and have not had any problems in 9 years (and 10 pairs).

I might be offended if you tried to imply that my unfortunate case was due to anything other than pure bad luck and/or tight production schedule.

My intention was never to make Grado look bad, as I truly think they have a done something spectacular to us headphone fanatics. But I'm sure you understand that I'm feeling just a tiny bit disappointed about having to go to round 2 to get my phones fixed.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
I might be offended if you tried to imply that my unfortunate case was due to anything other than pure bad luck and/or tight production schedule.

My intention was never to make Grado look bad, as I truly think they have a done something spectacular to us headphone fanatics. But I'm sure you understand that I'm feeling just a tiny bit disappointed about having to go to round 2 to get my phones fixed.

Sorry, I thought there was nothing actually wrong with yours as per below
Quote:

Now I'm baffled. I left them burning-in for last night and they have been playing most of time today on and off my head. It does seem that 2 of my "amps" are contributing to the channel imbalance more or less. I did previously try them straight out of my 2 soundcards and the imbalance was there with both of them.

confused.gif
But now I can't hear anything wrong with them!
confused.gif

I have been trying for the last two hours to hear the imbalance with mono music straight out of my Soundstorm and Chaintech, putting them on my head without knowing which side is which (I really can't tell it when they are on my head!) and then turning them around and back again. At times I think I hear the other channel louder, but then I loose it again on the next swap. And when I think I hear something wrong, it isn't even consistently one side.

The one consistent thing during these rehearsals has been the grattle on the right side driver. It can be heard very clear on long sustained bass notes, like a 40Hz test tone. Well, just half an hour ago the grattle disappeared. Whatta...?
confused.gif

I guess I should be
biggrin.gif
instead of
confused.gif
, but I'm too much in a shock at the moment. Todd hasn't even answered my email yet, but that's totally undestandable considering this HF-1 frenzy. I will update him tomorrow if the situation stays like this.

Somehow I have a feeling that this isn't the final chapter in the story of my Grado HF-1 #36.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #35 of 53
lal316l: Sorry for threadjacking, I will keep my own issue in it's original thread from now on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Sorry, I thought there was nothing actually wrong with yours as per below

Well, at one point it certainly seemed that the problem was gone, but as I said further in that thread:

Quote:

I have done some further testing. It seems that something on the right side is resonating on low frequencies (<200Hz), creating some extra energy that makes the right side sound a bit louder especially on sustained bass notes. I think this resonance was the cause of the grattle too.

I don't know what is causing the resonance. It could be the driver, the enclosure or just about any of the gluejoints. I can only hear the resonance on quite loud sustained notes, like a 40Hz test tone. But it seems to affect the balance just enough to be audible when listening to some bass-heavy music.

I said earlier that it's not really audible straight from a soundcard. I think this is because the soudcards lack the current output the Grados need for the full bass impact and volume. Both of my beefier amps make the bass quite a bit louder, aggravating the resonance.

Todd gave me the instructions to send them straight to Grado, so I did. When the phones came back the imbalance was immediately apparent.

I have updated the original imbalance thread, so lal316l can get his thread back:
icon10.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...92#post1706892

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
I was referring to the % of faulty units that is not a big deal. The victims' however is another story. The company is suppose to cover return shipping for DOA, defects, or any kind of these problems within a particular time frame, perhap a few days or so since some problems require time to spot and as long as it is not the user's fault, companies is liable for it. The same goes for wrong shipment, you can always see that if it is the company's fault, they don't charge you for return shipping. Sometime you just gotta make a fuss about it, unless you can bear the shipping without a problem. I've always made a fuss about return shipping for a faulty unit that I received if the company is quiet about it, and usually they would reimburse the shipping. The only exception is when I returned my sr71 for exchange, shipping was just around 8 bucks...that aint a big deal.

When you "return" something for repair under warranty, you can show the custom that the unit has been sent back for repair. They would not double tax you. It's your responsibility to understand these regulations although most people don't know about it. I'd say you were ripped off, and u are not alone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats where you're wrong. First of all noone should have to complain about getting free shipping, such companies should refund it without you having to ask. Second of all, paying customs tax over a repaired item is absolutly normal and legal. Believe me, I complained about this, especially since I asked Benchmark to mark the package as repaired unit. That didn't help, you still have to repay customs tax, so much for you knowing regulations well
rolleyes.gif

Beagle: You may have been lucky but there are still many HF-1s, IMHO, that have problems, especially for handbuilt headphones. It goes to show that Grado's built quality isnt all that, as you implied strongly in many other threads. Accusing the owners of treating their cans badly is silly, you're allowed to be stubborn but dont insult other people...

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #38 of 53
I have had a problem with my left channel, will not play via the ipod.
I have not tried it via any other source, need to try that first.

Jamie

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwap
lal316l,

Did you see these new headphones in John's office (not the bunny one of course)

john_withKids2005.jpg

Nope! All I saw were 325i's in it's pizzabox sealed, some random sr's and a sr40 covered in plastic (gladwrap?) on top of cabinet.
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Thats where you're wrong. First of all noone should have to complain about getting free shipping, such companies should refund it without you having to ask. Second of all, paying customs tax over a repaired item is absolutly normal and legal. Believe me, I complained about this, especially since I asked Benchmark to mark the package as repaired unit. That didn't help, you still have to repay customs tax, so much for you knowing regulations well
rolleyes.gif

Beagle: You may have been lucky but there are still many HF-1s, IMHO, that have problems, especially for handbuilt headphones. It goes to show that Grado's built quality isnt all that, as you implied strongly in many other threads. Accusing the owners of treating their cans badly is silly, you're allowed to be stubborn but dont insult other people...

Not every company will cover return shipping, you simply have to ask eventhough if they are liable for it. People just keep quiet and act like it's not their problem that you received a faulty unit. And this is not something new.

Where do you stay? I've never paid any taxes on warranty repair and return.
If you are in the UK, read this:
Quote:

Repaired Goods
In order to qualify for any exemption from duties and taxes, certain documentation relating to the initial export of the goods must be submitted with the import entry. The initial export entry must have been correctly processed to indicate that the goods were exported for repair. If the export documentation is either incorrect or not available, duties and / or VAT will be payable on the value of the goods and any repair costs. To ensure that shipments of repaired goods can be readily identified, the invoice must clearly state "repaired goods" and include the commodity's value before the repair as well as the cost of the repair.
Repair Goods: Goods requiring Export from the UK for repair

Invoice requirements:

Statement stating "Goods being sent for repair under Outward Processing Relief" should be clearly marked on the commercial invoice
Provide serial number of goods being sent for repair. IF the goods are not serialized a statement to this effect must be made on the commercial invoice.
Provide correct commercial value of goods as originally paid for NOT a nominal value for the goods. Failure to provide any of the above information will result in shipments being delayed.
Repaired goods: Goods being returned after repair in the UK.

Invoice requirements:

Invoice should clearly state "Goods have been repaired under IPR"
Provide either IP authorization number or Import entry details
Provide full commercial value of goods plus cost of repair. Failure to provide any of the above information will result in shipments being delayed.

Returned Goods
The invoice must include the following information:

The words "return goods"
Country of origin
Reason for the return (for example, "not in accordance to contract", or "credit")

-UPS Country Regulation

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #41 of 53
Please dont use this thread to complain about the quality control of Grado. What I wanted to focus on is things you can do in the situation of your Grado HF-1s having a problem. What steps to take, what you have already done, what happened, and overall outcome.

Grado is not a major giant company that is able to do the things you've come to expect from rich mega corporations. It's a small place in Brooklyn that manufactures and produces headphones. Notice that these phones are hand made so theres bound to be errors here and there. I'm lucky that I live so close to Grado Labs. I'm also grateful that Grado is what it is, a small company that's willing to communicate with people first hand about their problems and is humble enough to not treat you like "just another customer." If you imported your headphones you should of done your research and assess your risks of importing before purchasing a product. It's not right to blame a company for your own irresponsibility and ignorance of not looking into the subject. It is understandable that when you purchase a product, you'd assume for the best that nothing bad will happen, but hey "crap happens." Quality control is another issue that I do not want to talk about on this thread. In other words, just stick to the subject.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #42 of 53
I'm not from UK, regulations, (i guess?) are not the same here.

I'm not discussing Grado's built quality but Beagle's many comments on it
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #43 of 53
blew out my 325i's after a few months and called them- told them they stopped working- no sound at all.

They said to send it in. It was sent back to me about 10 days later and a note saying it was repaired. No hassle at all, very nice of them.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Beagle: You may have been lucky but there are still many HF-1s, IMHO, that have problems, especially for handbuilt headphones. It goes to show that Grado's built quality isnt all that, as you implied strongly in many other threads.

As usual, your comment is too vague to apply a suitable response to. You are saying that it is in your humble opinion that many HF-1's have problems, and that goes to show that Grado build quality is not up to snuff.

confused.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #45 of 53
I personally don't have any issues with Grado. Of course I'm a bit upset with the fact that they didn't repair my HF-1 on the first effort, but generally I think Grado build quality is good enough for a small company assembling the phones mostly by hand. Also my previous encounter with Grado support was very pleasing. And the sound...
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back